LUMIN - The Audiophile Network Music Player
May 24, 2023 at 3:38 PM Post #331 of 452
I just got my U2 Mini back with SBooster upgrade. It sounds great but given the gap from sending the stock model off and receiving the upgraded system back, my auditory memory is not good enough to definitely comment on specific before/after improvements.

May 30, 2023 at 8:43 AM Post #333 of 452
Hi i'm considering a dedicated music server/streamer for my setup, does the U1 mini/U2 mini will be a good first ( and probably last? ) music server that i need?
Does anyone ever compare U1 mini/U2 mini to something from Aurender/Melco/Innuos?

May 30, 2023 at 11:01 AM Post #334 of 452
Hi i'm considering a dedicated music server/streamer for my setup, does the U1 mini/U2 mini will be a good first ( and probably last? ) music server that i need?
Does anyone ever compare U1 mini/U2 mini to something from Aurender/Melco/Innuos?
Well, a U2 mini is definitely a step up from, for example, a Zen Stream. For me, it is a large enough step up to not look at the higher price classes above the ~$2-3K range. The biggest potential downside for some to the U2 mini compared to higher end streamers is external power supply which can be addressed via Sbooster add-on which my dealer installed post purchase.

Last edited:
May 30, 2023 at 5:55 PM Post #335 of 452
Auralic is the brand which is similar to Lumin in many ways, both have updated their line up recently. Differences in their sound can be very small.

Jun 1, 2023 at 6:29 PM Post #336 of 452
Well, a U2 mini is definitely a step up from, for example, a Zen Stream. For me, it is a large enough step up to not look at the higher price classes above the ~$2-3K range. The biggest potential downside for some to the U2 mini compared to higher end streamers is external power supply which can be addressed via Sbooster add-on which my dealer installed post purchase.

The U2 Mini is a great performer for price if you can get a deal (and even if not). Add an LPS and you’re good for years. The U2/Mini processor module is brand new.

Jun 2, 2023 at 6:33 PM Post #337 of 452
No worries, here’s the one I’m using: FTLF1318P3BTL

I bought it off from Mouser. They have quite a few in stock.
Thanks again. They arrived, I swapped them in and voila - they sound great! No more glare or glassiness - wouldn’t have guessed there would that be that big of difference. The Finnisars definitely sound better than the Trendnet SFP modules, using a Trendnet SFP switch.

Jun 2, 2023 at 6:53 PM Post #338 of 452
Thanks again. They arrived, I swapped them in and voila - they sound great! No more glare or glassiness - wouldn’t have guessed there would that be that big of difference. The Finnisars definitely sound better than the Trendnet SFP modules, using a Trendnet SFP switch.
Excellent! Now you can enjoy X1 fibre optic’s true potential 👍🏼

Aug 30, 2023 at 11:26 AM Post #339 of 452
Despite my great affection for the U2 mini, I’m moving locations which is necessitating some space saving hard decisions. Thus, listing my U2 mini + Sbooster if anyone has interest.

Oct 1, 2023 at 9:55 PM Post #340 of 452
Lumin U2 absolutely magical.

Unfortunately, having issue with Lumin USB to Holo May dac—won’t work so using coax cable.

Anyone else having usb connection problems between Lumin & Holo products?

Oct 1, 2023 at 10:43 PM Post #341 of 452

Unfortunately, having issue with Lumin USB to Holo May dac—won’t work so using coax cable.

Interesting? I have the U1 not mini and no problems connecting to my May. Did you try powering both down then start the May 1st then Lumin.

Oct 2, 2023 at 8:54 PM Post #342 of 452

I have USB out from my Lumin U1X going to USB input on a Holo Red operating in DDC mode. Never had a single connectivity problem.

Oct 3, 2023 at 2:31 AM Post #343 of 452
It's definitely worth sending an email to info@luminmusic.com about this. See if we can identify where the incompatibility lies.

In he meantime a couple of things to check.
Does this problem occur even with all upsampling turned off on LUMIN and with standard 44.1kHz/16-bit files? Volume control turned off.
I know it's obvious, but you're using the left-hand USB socket when looking from the back of LUMIN?
Also worth checking with a standard USB cable and not an audiophile one.

Oct 3, 2023 at 12:09 PM Post #344 of 452
Also worth checking with a standard USB cable and not an audiophile one.

This is a very good point. I did have a particular audiophile USB cable that introduced connectivity issues, where the music would just stop playing after a little while. I swapped in a generic printer USB cable and the problem was solved. I then tried a different audiophile USB and that cable worked fine. So, some audiophile USB cables may be problematic. So in my particular case, it was a USB cable issue, rather than a Lumin/Holo compatibility problem.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2023 at 5:18 PM Post #345 of 452

Just checking, you do know that when coax is used, the usb is switched off in the Lumin app setup?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back