LUMIN - The Audiophile Network Music Player
Oct 18, 2023 at 9:02 PM Post #347 of 455
I just received a T1. I will compare its DAC to my Metrum Onyx DAC and also the T1's digital BNC output feeding the Metrum Onyx DAC.
IMG_20231018_210147960_HDR.jpg

Oct 18, 2023 at 10:38 PM Post #348 of 455
I just received a T1. I will compare its DAC to my Metrum Onyx DAC and also the T1's digital BNC output feeding the Metrum Onyx DAC.
Do let us know how it goes. I'm curious since it's from an older product lineup.

Edit: I see that you have completely switched gears. Do you like this setup better than your previous Holo stack + Susvara?

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2023 at 4:35 AM Post #349 of 455
Do let us know how it goes. I'm curious since it's from an older product lineup.

Edit: I see that you have completely switched gears. Do you like this setup better than your previous Holo stack + Susvara?
I will post my impressions, yes.

Good catch. Yes, I changed gear.
First of all, I will say that I have more fun listening to this new system. It's a joy and I feel much more at ease, both with my wallet and peace of mind in terms of if something broke down. I was always worried the Susvara would become defective as I've heard so many stories. I probably worried too much about it because there are many who have theirs for a long time. But I looked at the price difference between that and the HEL Stealth and I couldn't justify it so I made the move.

Let me tell you, the HEK V2 Stealth are way more expansive and open and airy which is what I love because my primary listening is classical music. They are more guttural in the low end than the Susvara and midrange is just sublime. So was Sus though.

This new system leaves me wanting nothing from the Holo stack/Susvara. If anything, I have more peace of mind and like I said, I have way more fun.

I'm interested to see how the DAC in the Lumin compares to the Onyx. The Onyx is one hell of a DAC, in my opinion. It gives me exactly the sound I want. Maybe I'll just run the Lumin as a streamer to the Onyx. The perfect outcome would be to get rid of as many boxes as possible and use the Lumin as a streamer / DAC. We'll see.

Oct 19, 2023 at 5:34 AM Post #350 of 455
Also, does anyone have any information regarding jitter from the T1, or Lumin products in general? I have an external DDC that I used because I was getting all of my music streaming from my Mac Mini and using USB in the process. The DDC helped in that situation. I just wanted to know if anyone had any info about jitter numbers.
Is jitter higher or lower using the digital output versus using its internal DAC?

Thanks.

Oct 26, 2023 at 5:27 AM Post #352 of 455
I was so impressed with the T1 that I purchased a T3. Phenomenal piece.IMG_20231025_165447245_HDR.jpg
Congrats!! Lumin products are really amazing. They've proven that the notion of delta sigma DACs sound less organic, thinner, less natural than R2R is completely false. It's all about the implementation at the end of the day. Enjoy!

Oct 26, 2023 at 8:17 AM Post #353 of 455
Congrats!! Lumin products are really amazing. They've proven that the notion of delta sigma DACs sound less organic, thinner, less natural than R2R is completely false. It's all about the implementation at the end of the day. Enjoy!
Thank you. Yes, I've stayed away from Delta sigma for many years. I've had R2R during all of those years and they have been really nice. I'm impressed with the capability of the T3. I am not a computer guy at all and the ease of use was a big relief for me.

Oct 26, 2023 at 11:22 AM Post #354 of 455
In the past, I never shut my R2R DACs off. They were always on so I never had to worry about warm up of the DAC. If the T3, or any other Lumin product, goes to sleep after the 1 hour setting I put on it, is the DAC section still powered up? If I wake it up, rule the DAC section still be at operating temperature? The unit feels cool to the touch when I do that. I have the S booster which is always on and the power switch in the back of the T3 is always on.

I should probably contact Lumin.

Oct 26, 2023 at 5:28 PM Post #355 of 455
In the past, I never shut my R2R DACs off. They were always on so I never had to worry about warm up of the DAC. If the T3, or any other Lumin product, goes to sleep after the 1 hour setting I put on it, is the DAC section still powered up? If I wake it up, rule the DAC section still be at operating temperature? The unit feels cool to the touch when I do that. I have the S booster which is always on and the power switch in the back of the T3 is always on.

I should probably contact Lumin.
I never turn off my P1 (or T2 back then).

Oct 26, 2023 at 9:30 PM Post #357 of 455
Is there a toroidal transformer or switching power supply in the U2 Mini device? can it be turned on/off only on the back? Does it have Spotify connect and Tidal connect? is there a difference between the different outputs in terms of sound quality? AES vs coax rca, vs usb? I recently bought a musician audio aquarius dac, and they said that the l2s input is the least noisy and the cleanest. Unfortunately, there is no l2s output on the Lumino. I've only seen it on silent angel streamers so far.

Oct 27, 2023 at 2:05 AM Post #358 of 455
Is there a toroidal transformer or switching power supply in the U2 Mini device? can it be turned on/off only on the back? Does it have Spotify connect and Tidal connect? is there a difference between the different outputs in terms of sound quality? AES vs coax rca, vs usb? I recently bought a musician audio aquarius dac, and they said that the l2s input is the least noisy and the cleanest. Unfortunately, there is no l2s output on the Lumino. I've only seen it on silent angel streamers so far.
Switching PSU in U2 Mini
Toroidal PSU in U2
Yes, there is a power switch on the back.
Yes, Spotify Connect and TIDAL Connect. Supports TIDAL Max. Also theoretically supports Spotify lossless if it ever launches.
Some people prefer USB and some AES. It depends on the DAC. Theoretically, USB supports higher bitrates.
You're right in that no LUMIN players support I2s.

Oct 27, 2023 at 12:46 PM Post #359 of 455
Switching PSU in U2 Mini
Toroidal PSU in U2
Yes, there is a power switch on the back.
Yes, Spotify Connect and TIDAL Connect. Supports TIDAL Max. Also theoretically supports Spotify lossless if it ever launches.
Some people prefer USB and some AES. It depends on the DAC. Theoretically, USB supports higher bitrates.
You're right in that no LUMIN players support I2s.
Can you hear any difference between AES and coax rca with such a short cable connection? (1 meter). I understand that it was invented for AES studio conditions where 20-30 or 50 meter cables are used so that it does not pick up the noise. you also need such a cable for AES, am I right?

https://www.cordial-cables.com/en/products/cpm-fm

Also, how could they not put a toroid in the u2 mini for $2500? I am not willing to take such an expensive device apart and upgrade it.

Oct 28, 2023 at 9:03 AM Post #360 of 455
I never turn off my P1 (or T2 back then).
Just to clarify, what exactly do you mean by, "never turn off"?

The "idle sleep" setting gives three options:
Never, 15 minutes, 1 hour.
Are you saying you set it to "Never" or do you leave the main power switch in the back always ON...or both?

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back