LUMIN - The Audiophile Network Music Player
Oct 24, 2022 at 8:01 AM Post #166 of 455
For those of you who are interested in Lumin T3: I had a brief chance of listening to it while comparing to Rockna WaveLight. While I still prefer Rockna, T3 have not been falling much behind especially in the setup I've been testing it with: Feliks Audio Envy Performance > HifiMan Susvara.

T3 has been less relaxed than WL. This is my main finding. Wish I had more time for comparison, but I really like it.
Thanks for the brief impression. When my T2 arrived, the sound was indeed not too relaxed. But after some burn in of over 200 hrs (as recommended by Peter from Lumin), the sound became a lot more relaxed and natural. Perhaps that could also be the case with T3. In any case, glad that you like the T3.

Nov 9, 2022 at 1:33 AM Post #167 of 455
I love my Lumin T2 and really enjoyed my D2 with upgraded Sbooster power supply, but the T2 was noticeably better.

Lumin streamers have no capacity for digital inputs (e.g. to use their internal DAC). The exception is the P1 which is a digital preamp and streamer and supports various inputs. I think the only solution would be to pair with Roon and rip your music onto a server or PC (or use a Roon Nucleus with a hard drive installled) and stream to the Lumin via Ethernet. I believe the Lumin does output digital into your DAC but sort of defeats buying one only to bypass the DAC. Better would be a U1 for that purpose.

I much prefer Roon when using the Lumin. The information, navigation, and DSP settings are superior to the native Lumin app which is clunky by comparison.

Lumin’s technical support is probably the best I’ve seen in 20 years of playing with digital gear. Peter from Lumin is a treasure.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2022 at 1:30 PM Post #169 of 455
Anyone have a chance to compare P1 or X1 with Yggdrasil? Mine (OG) is being fed by U1 but curious if I should move up the chain with Lumin.

Dec 17, 2022 at 4:04 PM Post #170 of 455
If I just use Tidal and Spotify connect can ifi zen stream equal the U2 mini in sound quality?
@Flm09 as an owner of both streamers ifi zen is nowhere near the U1 or U2 mini in any area IMHO. While the price difference is huge by numbers do not waste money on zen. For me it never worked as advertised by manufacturer and I feel it is a constant beta software product. I have exactly the opposite feeling and experience with Lumin products. If you like volumio, just buy RPi and be done with it - it will be a lot cheaper than zen stream and you can use it for billions of other uses too.

Dec 18, 2022 at 4:11 AM Post #172 of 455
I have both. The lumen is better, u1 mini with Sbooster power supply. I have an ifs stream on a SBooster power supply also. The lumen is much better but cost 3 times the cost of the ifs with S booster power supply also. I use my lumen with my headphone setup mostly. Ifi streamer on HT system. For what each cost they very good.

My ifs streamer is been solid- so far. I know some people have a lot of trouble with them.

m usicguy

Dec 18, 2022 at 3:30 PM Post #173 of 455
I have both. The lumen is better, u1 mini with Sbooster power supply. I have an ifs stream on a SBooster power supply also. The lumen is much better but cost 3 times the cost of the ifs with S booster power supply also. I use my lumen with my headphone setup mostly. Ifi streamer on HT system. For what each cost they very good.

My ifs streamer is been solid- so far. I know some people have a lot of trouble with them.

m usicguy
Ok thanks m usicguy! I'm on tight budget so may give Zen a go! Some say my Bluesound Node USB is same as Zen though.🤔

Dec 18, 2022 at 4:23 PM Post #174 of 455
Ok thanks m usicguy! I'm on tight budget so may give Zen a go! Some say my Bluesound Node USB is same as Zen though.🤔
If you are tight on the budget @Flm09 than go with RPi and proper PSU if you have usb-powered dac (this will prevent dropouts and has nothing to do with SQ) or add a HAT with coax for example or go with Bluesound instead of zen stream. Zen stream is basically a very expensive RPi clone with volumio software preinstalled.

Dec 19, 2022 at 3:24 AM Post #178 of 455
Ok thanks Alekc! Btw I read Ifi zen only sounds good through coax and only so so through usb.
@Flm09 actually I would argue on that point but I'm not the best person to ask since I had a lot of troubles making zen stream working via usb with various dacs especially when DSD playback has been involved. Returning to the main topic: Lumin beats it but is considerably more expensive however for me when I found Lumin and connected for the first time I knew my quest for streamer has ended :) Another great option that comes to my mind is a combo in form of Mytek Brooklyn Bridge. I'm still very happy owner of one of those too.

Dec 19, 2022 at 1:31 PM Post #179 of 455
I may rethink Zen as one user said it sounds best with coax out not usb. I don't play DSD just Tidal and Spotify. Another possible option is Project Stream box Ultra2. Have you had any experience with Project? Or another option is Innous Zen mini S.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back