LUMIN - The Audiophile Network Music Player
Jul 20, 2022 at 11:37 PM Post #151 of 438
Not at all. That's just Roon - it's a completely different beast. LUMIN support Roon, but we also support UPnP AV (OpenHome), TIDALand Qobuz directly in our own App and then TIDAL Connect and Spotify Connect via their own apps. We also support AirPlay.
So absolutely no need for Roon or more hardware.
Might want to register as mot before posting.

Jul 23, 2022 at 1:55 PM Post #152 of 438
I Haven't tried roon but couldn't you just download the roon app for smartphone and control your Lumin player from roon app playback from every streaming platform and add favourites etc.? Why you need another box?
I like the Lumin app. It’s simple and get things done. Yes, it doesn’t have Roon’s vast album info, recommendation, etc. and DSP function (Lumin hardware isn’t powerful enough to handle DSP on its own). Soundwise, I prefer the sound straight from Lumin app vs Roon (the soundstage from Roon is wider but thinner).

Jul 23, 2022 at 1:59 PM Post #153 of 438
I like the Lumin app. It’s simple and get things done. Yes, it doesn’t have Roon’s vast album info, recommendation, etc. and DSP function (Lumin hardware isn’t powerful enough to handle DSP on its own). Soundwise, I prefer the sound straight from Lumin app vs Roon (the soundstage from Roon is wider but thinner).
That’s one way to look at it I suppose. My biggest gripe besides the lack of features was just how slow and unresponsive it was. I would tap, and would wait 7-10s before anything would happen. Maybe I just had a bad egg but it was at times unresponsive to the point nothing would happen and I had to close and reopen my app very frequently.

Jul 23, 2022 at 2:05 PM Post #154 of 438
That’s one way to look at it I suppose. My biggest gripe besides the lack of features was just how slow and unresponsive it was. I would tap, and would wait 7-10s before anything would happen. Maybe I just had a bad egg but it was at times unresponsive to the point nothing would happen and I had to close and reopen my app very frequently.
That’s odd, the app on my iPad and iPhone is super responsive. Roon‘s app on the other hand is more laggy on my iPad.

Jul 23, 2022 at 5:30 PM Post #155 of 438
I would tap, and would wait 7-10s before anything would happen. Maybe I just had a bad egg but it was at times unresponsive to the point nothing would happen and I had to close and reopen my app very frequently.
Thats exactly how it is on my Cambridge CXNv2 internal app and thats why i never use it. So im glad I have the option to use tidal connect and for Qobuz i use built in chromecast just tap the thing on Qobuz own app and play. Although it's limited to 96khz/24bit it sounds better and cleaner then using the Cambridge app which get 192khz/24bit.

So yeah if Lumin app is that slow and you mentioned couldent add favourites albums? Its a problem.

Jul 23, 2022 at 5:33 PM Post #156 of 438
How does aurender streamers compare to Lumin soundwise?

Jul 23, 2022 at 6:39 PM Post #158 of 438
Lumin app is not slow. I use a 2014 iPad mini without problems.
Probably just a mix of my ADHD brain and comparisons to other apps in the same segment, it’s relative I suppose. Was using a iPhone 12 max, for me it was slow and at times completely unresponsive - I would click and then wait and wait and wonder if anything was going to play at all and then after I watched a piece of grass grow the music would play. (Ok a bit of an exaggeration) But enough time passed it made me wonder if I didn’t actually click the track and then it would start to play.

Just not as fast as others I’ve used. Auralic, BlueOS and Naim - I click and instantly music plays. No second guessing if I did something wrong.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2022 at 10:06 AM Post #159 of 438
Sep 2, 2022 at 7:37 AM Post #160 of 438
How does aurender streamers compare to Lumin soundwise?

I can tell you the Aurender is rich tonality with great "heft" .... phenomenal clarity and dead silent (noise floor) while performing it's job. The native App is also very slick.

I am curious as well to hear from someone here that has owned both (as I have no Lumin experience).

Oct 11, 2022 at 7:29 AM Post #161 of 438
I haven't heard the Naim - but I Iiked the U1 so much - I thought about the X1 to replace my Dave/MScaler - but I never auditioned it. The U1 is just so good, I figured the X1 would be great as well and imagine the T2 or D2 are very good as well.

If I was in your situation, I think I'd go for the T2 or D2 and buy a really nice headphone amp. You can ensure you get the sound you want by getting a nice amp that matches your tastes - and this is coming from someone with a Dave/Mscaler and a Hugo 2. I like the Hugo 2 for portability - and I use it in my bedroom with a set of closed cans - but I generally wouldn't use it for desktop use - as I think there is good or better for that use case. If you want something that is portable as well - the Hugo 2 is great - but if it's for desktop, I'd get something else. In general, but with notable exceptions, things that have all that stuff and a headphone amp - don't really have a great headphone amp. I think the exceptions would be the Chord stuff and the Bartok.
Agree with this. I bought a lightly used T2 with S Booster upgrade already done, cost £2100, just added a used Headamp gsx mini solid state A class balanced headphone amp, £1100, shockingly good sonics, better than my previous setup with Chord M Scaler and Hugo TT2!

Oct 11, 2022 at 10:51 AM Post #162 of 438
Agree with this. I bought a lightly used T2 with S Booster upgrade already done, cost £2100, just added a used Headamp gsx mini solid state A class balanced headphone amp, £1100, shockingly good sonics, better than my previous setup with Chord M Scaler and Hugo TT2!
The T2 for sure punches above its price.

Oct 15, 2022 at 5:28 AM Post #164 of 438
Wondering what are other good alternatives to the U2 mini in the similar price range? Thanks!
@hicr49 honesty speaking I strongly doubt there is one. I could not understand why people are in love with Lumin until I have got one. Before Lumin I was in position: streamer is a streamer only. I am not talking about sound differences since I do not hear them, howere Lumin simply works and deliver what it promises constantly, something other vendors can't offer with their products. For example I will never buy a streamer from ifi again. Looking at all the problems with Poly and how it finally works almost flawless with new firmware and sandwitched 2you/2go I will never buy a desktop streamer from Chord. Poly is fine finally with Mojo but if Lumin would do a similar product for Mojo/Mojo2 I would ditch Poly in a sec. Just 2 cents.

Oct 24, 2022 at 4:16 AM Post #165 of 438
For those of you who are interested in Lumin T3: I had a brief chance of listening to it while comparing to Rockna WaveLight. While I still prefer Rockna, T3 have not been falling much behind especially in the setup I've been testing it with: Feliks Audio Envy Performance > HifiMan Susvara.

T3 has been less relaxed than WL. This is my main finding. Wish I had more time for comparison, but I really like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back