LUMIN - The Audiophile Network Music Player
Apr 12, 2022 at 11:45 PM Post #136 of 438
And I love my T2. It sounds so natural and full bodied 👍🏼

Apr 25, 2022 at 10:12 AM Post #137 of 438
Hi guys,

I am interested to move from Roon app to either Lumin or Aurender Conductor native apps for better SQ over rich info. However, I prefer to control music playback right on PC (not Mac) over the apps on phones and tablets.

Is it possible to use Lumin or Aurender Conductor from PC desktop (windows 10) with android emulator programs like Bluestacks, MemuPlay or Noxplayer? Anyone has such experience? Is there any issue?

Thank you.
For PC apps, the simplest ones are Linn's Kazoo and Kinsky. Kazoo is the newer version. These use OpenHome (a flavour of UPnP AV) that our own apps use.
They don't do anything fancy (like DSP, music recommendations, transcoding, etc), but they are a nice easy and clean way to operate LUMIN from your desktop.
Note that only the LUMIN App has control over settings/setup/etc so you'll need to use the LUMIN iOS/Android apps for initial configuration.

On Mac desktop with Apple Silicone, you can use the LUMIN iOS app - it has been enhanced to take advantage of the large desktop screen.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2022 at 3:33 AM Post #138 of 438
For PC apps, the simplest ones are Linn's Kazoo and Kinsky. Kazoo is the newer version. These use OpenHome (a flavour of UPnP AV) that our own apps use.
They don't do anything fancy (like DSP, music recommendations, transcoding, etc), but they are a nice easy and clean way to operate LUMIN from your desktop.
Note that only the LUMIN App has control over settings/setup/etc so you'll need to use the LUMIN iOS/Android apps for initial configuration.

On Mac desktop with Apple Silicone, you can use the LUMIN iOS app - it has been enhanced to take advantage of the large desktop screen.

Thank you for sharing this. I will dig it further.

May 6, 2022 at 1:31 AM Post #139 of 438

Lumin started essentially as a Chinese (okay Hong Kong) knockoff version of Linn. Not surprised all Linn control apps work on Lumin.

Always found it funny when people would recommend Lumin but not Linn.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2022 at 2:03 AM Post #140 of 438
How good is the built in DACs in Lumin players? If i want to connect outside digital sources? Can they compete with dedicated DAC makers?

Jul 17, 2022 at 1:12 PM Post #141 of 438
I heard only D1 on my home stereo. Compared to Linn Akurate DS/1, Lumin sounded more warm, but still quite pleasant, while Linn was detailed, airy, more "audiophile". I also heard Linn Majic, and there Lumin D1 certainly wins.
Compared to separate DACs, not bad, I guess. Somewhere in 500-1000 price bracket.

Jul 17, 2022 at 3:09 PM Post #142 of 438
I heard only D1 on my home stereo. Compared to Linn Akurate DS/1, Lumin sounded more warm, but still quite pleasant, while Linn was detailed, airy, more "audiophile". I also heard Linn Majic, and there Lumin D1 certainly wins.
Compared to separate DACs, not bad, I guess. Somewhere in 500-1000 price bracket.
I have been wondering about Linn if they are better then Lumin or about the same.

Jul 17, 2022 at 4:13 PM Post #144 of 438
I would say from a pure SQ they are top notch but - Lumin software is really bad, especially compared to Auralic, BluOS, and Naim apps for example. It’s slow, clunky and doesn’t have any features (similar artists, add to favorites, bio, etc.)

The reality is Lumin needs Roon to be viable IMO - Downside is another box is required for Roon.

I had a Lumin U2 mini and loved how it sounded as a transport… literally wanted to throw my iPhone at the unit because of how bad the native app was (I don’t have Roon) and sold it. Normally I value SQ above all other things but in this case it was so brutally terrible I chose to just sell it and move on.

Jul 18, 2022 at 4:17 AM Post #145 of 438
I would say from a pure SQ they are top notch but - Lumin software is really bad, especially compared to Auralic, BluOS, and Naim apps for example. It’s slow, clunky and doesn’t have any features (similar artists, add to favorites, bio, etc.)

The reality is Lumin needs Roon to be viable IMO - Downside is another box is required for Roon.

I had a Lumin U2 mini and loved how it sounded as a transport… literally wanted to throw my iPhone at the unit because of how bad the native app was (I don’t have Roon) and sold it. Normally I value SQ above all other things but in this case it was so brutally terrible I chose to just sell it and move on.
I thought many people liked there software.

Its the same with my Cambridge CXNv2 streamer very bad internal app like you describing for Lumin. But i never use it for playback. On Tidal i used tidal connect and now on Qobuz i use the inbuilt chromecast. So i use the streaming platforms own apps. It also have Spotify connect if i wanted to use that. But Lumin dont support connect stuff for Tidal, Qobuz or Spotify?

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2022 at 4:25 AM Post #146 of 438
I Haven't tried roon but couldn't you just download the roon app for smartphone and control your Lumin player from roon app playback from every streaming platform and add favourites etc.? Why you need another box?

Jul 18, 2022 at 4:27 AM Post #147 of 438
I thought many people liked there software.

Its the same with my Cambridge CXNv2 streamer very bad internal app like you describing for Lumin. But i never use it for playback. On Tidal i used tidal connect and now on Qobuz i use the inbuilt chromecast. So i use the streaming platforms own apps. It also have Spotify connect if i wanted to use that. But Lumin dont support connect stuff for Tidal, Qobuz or Spotify?
All current LUMIN models support Spotify Connect
Most current LUMIN models support TIDAL Connect (D2 is the notable exception)
AFAIK, there isn't a Qobuz equivalent yet. We offered to help them develop it, but I'm not sure of the status of that.

Jul 18, 2022 at 4:29 AM Post #148 of 438
I Haven't tried roon but couldn't you just download the roon app for smartphone and control your Lumin player from roon app playback from every streaming platform and add favourites etc.? Why you need another box?
Roon isn't just an app. It requires a Core processor which can be a PC/Mac or their own box. Because of this is also provides upsampling/DSP and other processing features.

Jul 18, 2022 at 4:34 AM Post #149 of 438
Roon isn't just an app. It requires a Core processor which can be a PC/Mac or their own box. Because of this is also provides upsampling/DSP and other processing features.
So the core processor is a must need for playback on Lumin player? I couldn't just download the app and playback whatever i like to a Lumin player?

Jul 18, 2022 at 4:40 AM Post #150 of 438
So the core processor is a must need for playback on Lumin player? I couldn't just download the app and playback whatever i like to a Lumin player?
Not at all. That's just Roon - it's a completely different beast. LUMIN support Roon, but we also support UPnP AV (OpenHome), TIDALand Qobuz directly in our own App and then TIDAL Connect and Spotify Connect via their own apps. We also support AirPlay.
So absolutely no need for Roon or more hardware.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back