LTA VELO - Headphone Amp / Preamp
May 23, 2024 at 5:11 PM Post #61 of 111
I have put in some 7062 PQ box plate tubes in the driver section. I tried them before but at that time, they sounded a little bright and slightly thin on the Velo, but with more burn in of the Velo, they sound very good now. Excellent depth and what is remarkable about the Velo, is it ability to separate sounds, that they reside within space but their is no blurry get area between them. They ride in their own space and decay and acoustics are individualized for each piece, guitar, voice, drums etc. The purity of the signal path really comes to the forefront and that is a big part that adds to the enjoyment as it frees up the sound.

It is amazing how the Velo is so adept at painting the color, the notes and timbre, which is not always easy to do and many amps, even expensive ones, can miss out on and until you hear it on something like the Velo, you don't realize that this is in the recording, just waiting to be release. I still can't get over the compactness of the amp and the extreme ease of change tubes, if desired.

Last edited:
May 23, 2024 at 5:31 PM Post #62 of 111
Ok, a change in tubes to the 7062 PQ with Hytron, which are Sylvania 1952 clear spacer (bad boy) in 12SN7. Tubes are so very easy to change.

Wow more body to the sound, a slightly more warmth, which is natural, adding to a full sound with excellent dynamics and depth trailing off into the distance and width at 45 degrees off to the right and left. Good stuff!
IMG_4328.jpeg

May 23, 2024 at 5:41 PM Post #64 of 111
What tubes are those, 2-per-adapter? What is gained by doubling the power tubes in this manner?
It doesn't double the power, each one of those is one triode, so you have to use the adapter to make one dual triode. The separation of the sections like this and using top caps, is very special and superb for good sound. These are a 7193 Ken-Rad. There are 7193, E 1148 Hytron, CV6, DET20 and some others that all fall in this class of tube and can be used and many have a superb musical quality.

It is like an ocean tubes can be used for the Velo. Yahoo. . lol

Last edited:
May 23, 2024 at 6:02 PM Post #65 of 111
What tubes are those, 2-per-adapter? What is gained by doubling the power tubes in this manner?
It doesn't double the power, each one of those is one triode, so you have to use the adapter to make one dual triode. The separation of the sections like this and using top caps, is very special and superb for good sound. These are a 7193 Ken-Rad. There are 7193, E 1148 Hytron, CV6, DET20 and some others that all fall in this class of tube and can be used and many have a superb musical quality.
Yes, exactly what John said. 6J5 and similar types can also be used with an adapter.

May 25, 2024 at 12:04 AM Post #68 of 111
So there is no gain switch? Or is more power pushed through with the power supply?
No gain switch.

@JacobLTA How is the all apos audio tube roll? When I saw the tubes being used in the Velo rolling it with the apos audio tubes was the first thing that came to mind
Very interesting... We just got them so it's a little early to say too much but I'm surprised.

May 25, 2024 at 1:44 PM Post #69 of 111
At nearly 100 hours of burn in, the Velo has gone through phases, like any amp, in my experience, with burn in. What I am getting now is a wonderful feeling of being at the performance. By this I mean the sound doesn't just hit you up front, to your side and front, but sweeps by you as if it is projected from one point, expands and moves, as in nature, in a real performance. This differentiates it from most all amps I have heard and does elevate it above the MZ3 in this area.

Dynamics are there, if in the music are fast and solid. In another area, with violin, and I used to play the violin, on correctly recorded 1st violins or solo, etc. and on cellos, you can hear the strings and resonances, the timbre so clearly but the kicker, with most amps, the sound of string and acoustics of the body of the instrument are blended. This can be pleasing but isn't totally accurate. The Velo, allows you to hear the string and a micro second later, the body of the instrument. The speed of the Velo, lack of distortion, transparency and utterly black background, void of noise, allows this and it is the the most realistic I have heard.

Piano is hard to replicate and people often reference this. On well recorded, I can follow the keys as they are played and the impact, which can be crippling in the natural environment, amazingly the grand impact, the sound of "piano" is there.

This from a small, well implemented and finely put together package an excellent musical feat has been accomplished.

May 25, 2024 at 7:09 PM Post #70 of 111
All preorders have shipped!

Now we get to do some tube rolling, too…
My order arrived yesterday! Thank you for the excellent packaging and I appreciate the nice interconnects that were included.
Quick question on the valve arrangement for V1 to V4: I assumed the V1 position was the lower left and then go clockwise to V4 since the ECC81 valves were labeled V1 and V4? It was not indicated in the manual and just checking to see if I assumed correctly.
I have several sets of 12AU7's and a few US vintage sets of 6SN7's. Looking forward to some tube rolling as well!

20240525_182919.jpg

Last edited:
May 26, 2024 at 7:13 PM Post #71 of 111
Some quick impressions after a few hours with the Velo:
- I am also sensing the wonderful musical separation, spaciousness and smoothness as other new customers have mentioned. At times I feel like I am there in an auditorium with the performance.
- out of my HP sets the dynamic Bokeh sounds very nice and may be the best pairing as my other higher impedance HP's do seem to need better impedance matching. The Caldera Open planar also does very well with nice resolution but I have heard a stronger/fuller bass response on other amps. The bass is there just laid back.
- I like the multiple RCA input and pre-out options. I have the BF 2/64 as an input and also using another input as a pre-amp to a TEAC integrated amp driving a set of KEF passive speakers. The KEF coaxial speakers have never sounded so nice! The lovely separation/spaciousness in the music is coming through on those too.
- It would be nice if I could leave the HP adaptor inside the Velo's HP jack and still be able to use the pre-amp out just to avoid wearing out the Velo's jack
- It is a nice feature with the volume setting memorizing each input's last setting. My volume knob was a little loose on arrival and it was an easy fix with a small hex wrench.
- I prefer to use the remote for the volume since the manual turning seems a bit stiff. I notice the knob does not turn when using the remote but the LED lights and volume does increase accordingly with the remote.
- I really like the fit and matte finish of the casing and how easy it is to access the tubes. Very nice design in my opinion.
- Changed the tubes to a set of new LinLai 6SN7's and a set of NOS-JAN 6189 Sylvania's which seem to be a little smoother than the stock tubes. Looking forward to trying more combinations.

Question, are tubes with slightly higher gain than 12AT7's non-compatible? I figure 12AX7's are too much but I do have a set of 5751's I was curious about trying.

20240526_180832.jpg

May 26, 2024 at 9:27 PM Post #72 of 111
- I am also sensing the wonderful musical separation, spaciousness and smoothness as other new customers have mentioned. At times I feel like I am there in an auditorium with the performance.
- out of my HP sets the dynamic Bokeh sounds very nice and may be the best pairing as my other higher impedance HP's do seem to need better impedance matching. The Caldera Open planar also does very well with nice resolution but I have heard a stronger/fuller bass response on other amps. The bass is there just laid back.
- I like the multiple RCA input and pre-out options. I have the BF 2/64 as an input and also using another input as a pre-amp to a TEAC integrated amp driving a set of KEF passive speakers. The KEF coaxial speakers have never sounded so nice! The lovely separation/spaciousness in the music is coming through on those too.
- It would be nice if I could leave the HP adaptor inside the Velo's HP jack and still be able to use the pre-amp out just to avoid wearing out the Velo's jack
- It is a nice feature with the volume setting memorizing each input's last setting. My volume knob was a little loose on arrival and it was an easy fix with a small hex wrench.
- I prefer to use the remote for the volume since the manual turning seems a bit stiff. I notice the knob does not turn when using the remote but the LED lights and volume does increase accordingly with the remote.
- I really like the fit and matte finish of the casing and how easy it is to access the tubes. Very nice design in my opinion.
- Changed the tubes to a set of new LinLai 6SN7's and a set of NOS-JAN 6189 Sylvania's which seem to be a little smoother than the stock tubes. Looking forward to trying more combinations.

Question, are tubes with slightly higher gain than 12AT7's non-compatible? I figure 12AX7's are too much but I do have a set of 5751's I was curious about trying.

Even though the 12 AX7 is rated at 100 and the 5751 is rated at 70 you don’t notice much difference between the two and I think that the 5751 would be too much gain and would possibly cause distortion. Also, those two tubes are more of voltage tubes whereas a 12 AU seven and the other Tubes are more of a current tube and the operating points are different. Therefore, the resistor used for the plate would not be really correct.

Last edited:
May 26, 2024 at 10:52 PM Post #73 of 111

20240526_180832.jpg
5751 are generally okay from my experience but YRMV. Wouldn't recommend 12AX7.

The stock JJ ECC81 have more than twice the gain and higher conductance than the 6189 you rolled in, if that's helpful.

May 27, 2024 at 2:31 PM Post #74 of 111
5751 are generally okay from my experience but YRMV. Wouldn't recommend 12AX7.

The stock JJ ECC81 have more than twice the gain and higher conductance than the 6189 you rolled in, if that's helpful.
While the gain of the 12AT7 is very close, 60 vs 70 to the 5751, the electrical properties are very different. This shows up when you test the tubes, as the settings are very different between them. I built up an amp years ago and wanted the ability to use 6SL7 or 6SN7. Like going from a 12AX7 to a 12AU7 but of course the electrical characteristics are very different. So I put in a switch so the bias for the tubes was correct and corrected for each tube, so it worked within the right parameters. Look at the current of the 5751 vs the 12AT7.

Last edited:
May 27, 2024 at 4:46 PM Post #75 of 111
While the gain of the 12AT7 is very close, 60 vs 70 to the 5751, the electrical properties are very different. This shows up when you test the tubes, as the settings are very different between them. I built up an amp years ago and wanted the ability to use 6SL7 or 6SN7. Like going from a 12AX7 to a 12AU7 but of course the electrical characteristics are very different. So I put in a switch so the bias for the tubes was correct and corrected for each tube, so it worked within the right parameters. Look at the current of the 5751 vs the 12AT7.
It won't cause any problems to use a 5751 in this circuit but they will not last as long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back