LTA VELO - Headphone Amp / Preamp
Mar 12, 2024 at 1:28 PM Post #16 of 40
Yes, and ZMF brought several of the new Caldera Closed that was impressing a lot of CanJammers. I was able to test the new Meze Liric II at the LTA table. Enjoyed it and the Velo made my DCA Aeon 2 Noires that I brought with me sound great. I see this amp in my future maybe in a year or so after I cycle out some gear.
Did you happen to hear the Meze hp on the Velo?

I'm interested in the Velo--though will all the amps I have here, I really need a checkup from the neck up for even typing this.

Unfortunately, by the time I got near the LTA booth (which had a velo set up), my ears were already blown and I couldn't face another headphone audition at high enough volumes to actually hear the thing under noisy show conditions.

Mar 12, 2024 at 1:40 PM Post #17 of 40

I'm interested in the Velo--though will all the amps I have here, I really need a checkup from the neck up** for even typing this.

Unfortunately, by the time I got near the LTA booth (which had a velo set up), my ears were already blown and I couldn't face another headphone audition at high enough volumes to actually hear the thing under noisy show conditions.
** just put some AC ⚡️in the bolts ... ☑️

Mar 12, 2024 at 1:42 PM Post #18 of 40

I'm interested in the Velo--though will all the amps I have here, I really need a checkup from the neck up for even typing this.

... A potential Hanna-Barbera cartoon title? Or 'Three Stooges' episode title?

Mar 12, 2024 at 1:49 PM Post #19 of 40

Yes, they had the Liric II on hand and gave it a whirl.
20240309_115223.jpg

Very pretty with the Macassar Ebony and comfortable. Likewise because the LTA table was in the main exhibit hall I also had to turn the volume up higher than normal to account for the crowd. Still it was enough to give a me a good feeling with this amp.

Mar 12, 2024 at 1:50 PM Post #20 of 40
... A potential Hanna-Barbera cartoon title? Or 'Three Stooges' episode title?
"Checkup from the neck up" is something NYC radio DJ Don Imus used to say. I despised the man (his humor was often cruel and misogynistic), but some of his sayings stayed with me (unlike a great many other memories, including where I was yesterday).

Mar 12, 2024 at 2:04 PM Post #21 of 40
"Checkup from the neck up" is something NYC radio DJ Don Imus used to say. I despised the man (his humor was often cruel and misogynistic), but some of his sayings stayed with me (unlike a great many other memories, including where I was yesterday).
🎼 "Yesterday / my existence was so far away / I have nothing from it here today / I draw a blank on yesterday ..."🎶

Mar 12, 2024 at 2:06 PM Post #23 of 40

I got to hear the Elite with the Velo at CanJam Dallas, and it was one of the best things I heard at the show. The pairing is incredible.

Mar 12, 2024 at 2:24 PM Post #24 of 40
I got to hear the Elite with the Velo at CanJam Dallas, and it was one of the best things I heard at the show. The pairing is incredible.
(Pharmaboy launches the mental 3-card monte game of justifying purchase of a 9th or 10th amp [which is insane])

Mar 12, 2024 at 5:15 PM Post #26 of 40
(Pharmaboy launches the mental 3-card monte game of justifying purchase of a 9th or 10th amp [which is insane])
If you come up with a justification method that works let me know. If I count speaker amps I think I'm already at 10, with one on the way. I'm starting to plan little listening nooks all over the house to make myself feel better about it. There is one more I'm certain I'm going to buy, and I've been having disturbing thoughts about DIY projects. The saving grace in regards to the Velo is that I already have an MZ3 that I actually use as an integrated more than a headphone amp.

Mar 12, 2024 at 7:47 PM Post #27 of 40
If you come up with a justification method that works let me know. If I count speaker amps I think I'm already at 10, with one on the way. I'm starting to plan little listening nooks all over the house to make myself feel better about it. There is one more I'm certain I'm going to buy, and I've been having disturbing thoughts about DIY projects. The saving grace in regards to the Velo is that I already have an MZ3 that I actually use as an integrated more than a headphone amp.
10 speaker amps? Damn, I'm in the bush leagues here (1 amp for speakers).

Then again, I have "multiplicity issues" with speakers, DACs and headphone amps ... if that counts in the audio insanity decathalon.

Mar 12, 2024 at 8:15 PM Post #28 of 40
10 speaker amps? Damn, I'm in the bush leagues here (1 amp for speakers).

Then again, I have "multiplicity issues" with speakers, DACs and headphone amps ... if that counts in the audio insanity decathalon.
10 is for all the amps, HP and speaker combined. The MZ3 is the only one that is both, but since it tripped me down the HP rabbit hole I've added a few.

Having choices is great. A few of each component and the permutations of listening possibilities multiply, literally.

Mar 12, 2024 at 9:16 PM Post #29 of 40
Does only one LED light up at all time around the volume pot? Or do all the lights up to current position light up when changing volume (and the single dot is a “dim mode”)?
When you change the volume, all of the LEDs up to the current position light up. After you've stopped turning the knob or using the remote they time out and only the current position remains illuminated. Since each LED represents more than one step (33 LEDs, 128 steps), the leading LED subtly increases (going up) or decreases (going down) in brightness for each step before the current position moves to the next LED. Regardless of which brightness level you stop on, the idle level after time out will be the same.

Effort has been made to make the Velo LEDs as comfy on the eyes as possible.

Mar 12, 2024 at 9:36 PM Post #30 of 40
When you change the volume, all of the LEDs up to the current position light up. After you've stopped turning the knob or using the remote they time out and only the current position remains illuminated. Since each LED represents more than one step (33 LEDs, 128 steps), the leading LED subtly increases (going up) or decreases (going down) in brightness for each step before the current position moves to the next LED. Regardless of which brightness level you stop on, the idle level after time out will be the same.

Effort has been made to make the Velo LEDs as comfy on the eyes as possible.
That's fantastic!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back