Loxjie P20 Discussion- Starved for information on this thing!
Aug 5, 2019 at 2:50 PM Post #166 of 802
Guys i little dilemma thinking wanna get p20 a not coz my verum headphone is 8ohm.But someone is using saying is ok he say this(There will be heat at the point of highest resistance - the amp output. I experienced no issues from this but an mp with lower ouput resistance will not have this)
Should i skip?

Aug 9, 2019 at 1:58 PM Post #167 of 802
Guys i little dilemma thinking wanna get p20 a not coz my verum headphone is 8ohm.But someone is using saying is ok he say this(There will be heat at the point of highest resistance - the amp output. I experienced no issues from this but an mp with lower ouput resistance will not have this)
Should i skip?
P20 has 47 ohm output impedance. The low 8 ohm Verum Will change the frequency response so it may sound badly.
Recommended the high impedance headphones for the P20, like 300 ohm HD650.

Aug 9, 2019 at 5:14 PM Post #169 of 802
Final Audio Pandora/Sonorous VI is also 8 ohm and sounds amazing on the P20.

Aug 9, 2019 at 8:15 PM Post #170 of 802
So I did get the Periapt balanced cable for my HE400i in yesterday and am now completely balanced from SU-8 to P20 to HE400i :jecklinsmile:
First time experiencing balanced design. So far I think it is very similar to the SE Newmusica after market cable I was running for the 400i but there is a subtle difference I'm hearing in the bass... it seems to have more "body" and the little details between the stereo separation are accentuated.
It reminds me of when I was talking to Steve McCormack and he suggested I try vertical bi-amping instead of horizontal, that also seemed to make what the left and right channels were doing more apparent.
I really like it and it brings the overall stereo effects to life IMHO.
Vertical bi-amping splits the left and right channels and takes one amp and uses it for one speaker as one side runs the bass and the other side the highs while the other amp runs the other speaker. Horizontal uses one amp for the highs and the other amp for the lows. I have never gone back to horizontal after experiencing vertical.
So is the balanced equipment worth the price? I guess that depends on your particular circumstances. I'm a 52 year old enthusiast with the extra cash on hand to try it and to tell you the truth it really wasn't too expensive. I got the P20 for 95 bucks with a coupon on Amazon, the SU-8 was 199 when I got it and I had a 50 dollar gift card! The matched tubes were $16, the balanced cables were $78 so whats that? $338?
Not too bad I think.
Would I say the sound is $338 better than the SE sound? Probably not but it is nice to hear a ever so slight improvement in sq.
Again a great hobby!

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2019 at 3:06 AM Post #171 of 802
Should i skip?

@muths66,

P20 is among the few tube amps which have a ridiculously low noise floor or SNR in terms of physical listening, not necessarily gauged by measurements or specs.
Though as a general guide, any source &/or amp with a SNR more than 120 db listed is unlikely going to disrupt your listening experience unless you listen at really, really loud &/or at full volume which isn't recommended anyway due to hearing safety.
TND & crosstalk does factor in though is relative to a degree.
The heat referred to in the point of highest resistance' is more than likely the voltage &/or current present in the amp overall, not just the output.
So the only likely way you could possibly to more than likely damage your Verum 1 or any other headphone is either by leaving it plugged in or plugging in when you switch on & off the amp &/or having the volume pot turned to any other value than 0.
This is especially true for vast majority of solid state amps more than tube as once the amp is on, the current is instaneous.
Though given nearly all tubes take at least a few seconds to warm up (20 to 30 seconds on average though larger tubes, 300B upwards take 500 seconds or more overall), leaving head gear plugged in to tube amps isn't advised either as this is just a signal delay to slow all the current going to the tube's heater plate all at once.

Personally, I sometimes use sensitve IEMs with the P 20 with no issues in sound or electronics.

As such, low impedence headgear is only an issue if said source gear has particularly built in high gain above +3 db though this tends to affect tube amps more than solid state due to some tubes having higher gain than others.

Hope this all makes sense, feel free to ask more if you need.

@magicscreen,

As stated to @muths66,

Low impedance head gear with the P20 is more than fine.
Having low impedence headgear doesn't change frequency response as these are set values by respective manufacturers in both head gear & said amp, even source will play a part in how said gear will handle the frequency range.
This DEFINITELY IN NO WAY affects frequency response as this is more a sonic change than anything else so not sure where you heard that as affecting frequency as this is complete BS.
Best results is determined by what a user experiences in their listening, not by impedance alone.

Hope everyone has a great day !

Aug 20, 2019 at 3:09 PM Post #172 of 802
The 4x OPA1622 (Dual Op-Amp (VSON-10) on DIP-8 header) that I ordered, have arrived.
They've been installed in the sockets that I soldered in my P20.
With their high current output, they do provide a good low Bass "thump".

BTW - Has anyone else considered cutting the P20 case in-half, so that the top can be easily removed - to do op-amp rolling (once sockets are installed)?

Aug 20, 2019 at 3:38 PM Post #173 of 802
The 4x OPA1622 (Dual Op-Amp (VSON-10) on DIP-8 header) that I ordered, have arrived.
They've been installed in the sockets that I soldered in my P20.
With their high current output, they do provide a good low Bass "thump".

BTW - Has anyone else considered cutting the P20 case in-half, so that the top can be easily removed - to do op-amp rolling (once sockets are installed)?

I wish my soldering skills were better but due to medical problems I just shake too much to do anything too technical .
I do think this little amp has a lot of potential .

Sep 8, 2019 at 4:24 PM Post #174 of 802
I'm confused about this amp, better take time....

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2019 at 7:14 PM Post #175 of 802
I have this amp since a week now, do I need to take some pills before?
WT Crap....
Grammar Committee here - pardon the intrusion ! We're dedicated to the satisfactory, indeed *fidelitous* reproduction of English sources!

"since" refers to a fixed point-in-time! I have had this amp since last Wednesday

"for" on the other hand refers to duration, to how much time has elapsed since (whatever) happened.

= you have had the amp FOR a week!

Many blessings,
The Committee

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2019 at 12:50 AM Post #176 of 802
I have had the amp FOR a week!

Thanks .....I hope grammar correction will improve the sound.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2019 at 12:16 PM Post #178 of 802
Grammar Committee might need a full time job on this site :ksc75smile:

Anyway my P20 sounds absolutely fantastic and I am thoroughly enjoying it!

Sep 9, 2019 at 2:44 PM Post #179 of 802
I try to elaborate, the amp is not bad generally speaking especially for the price, I jumped when read someone considering it better than amplifiers that cost thousands $.
I have few cans at the moment, however I tried all: balanced Sennheiser 58x and Akg K340; then Jvc sz1000, Grado sr60, Akg K501, several earbud KZ. Source Topping D10/Auralic Vega.
To my ears the P20 has not enough details/treble, with Senn and Jvc the bass is excessive. It has enough power to drive the K340, and that is impressive, still low detail but acceptable. Probably the sound signature would match well with the hd800, smoothing the high/enhancing the bass, unfortunately I no longer have the Senn 800 to try. The scene is very nice too.

That is my taste, I realized that this small amp has an army of fans, so must be me, my cans and the music I listen that don't fit.

Happy listening

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2019 at 7:29 PM Post #180 of 802
I feed the P20 from an SMSL SU-8 DAC out to my HE400i with great results, the HE400i are probably contributing to the more than adequate detail. I've never been a fan of Sennheiser and only owned the HD600, HD598 & PX100's and can't comment on how they sound in my setup since I sold them all off long ago.
I bought matched tubes for the P20 and went full balanced on that whole system and I think it sounds great being fed from my Oppo as source.
It's fine if someone doesn't like a piece of equipment but should also post associated equipment for reference. There's a great deal of knowledge on this site and with some advise and mod suggestions I've heard some great music through my headphone setups. I'm a straight 2 channel audio enthusiast who converted to hp's several years ago. Still have the big system but hp's are just so convenient.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back