Loxjie P20 Discussion- Starved for information on this thing!
Aug 2, 2019 at 3:18 PM Post #151 of 802
I've tried several DACs with the P20 and I think the fact I can boost the power on the Geshelli Enog2 has been why mine works so well with my Hifiman HE-4XX and the HE-400 .

Still have not swapped tubes yet but I'm curious to see what difference it makes .

The P20 at 300Ω puts out 325mW but with the Geshelli Enog2 on medium or highest power it has no problem driving my Sennheiser's or my Planars with absolutely no distortion....

I still want to get a Darkvoice at some point because my vintage Telefunken Tube Console although not the most powerful Headphone out does add a richness to the sound but it's not in my listening room and at 200 plus pounds I can't exactly drag it around.
LoL

Aug 2, 2019 at 9:25 PM Post #152 of 802
I've tried several DACs with the P20 and I think the fact I can boost the power on the Geshelli Enog2 has been why mine works so well with my Hifiman HE-4XX and the HE-400 .

Still have not swapped tubes yet but I'm curious to see what difference it makes .

The P20 at 300Ω puts out 325mW but with the Geshelli Enog2 on medium or highest power it has no problem driving my Sennheiser's or my Planars with absolutely no distortion....

I still want to get a Darkvoice at some point because my vintage Telefunken Tube Console although not the most powerful Headphone out does add a richness to the sound but it's not in my listening room and at 200 plus pounds I can't exactly drag it around.
LoL

I found these https://tubes-store.com/product_info.php?products_id=176
I paid around 16 bucks for the matched pair I bought but they were not Reflector factory tubes which I hear are the best replacement in the P20. I'm prob gonna order these also...at a $1.50 each how can you not?? I want to hear if they are indeed "better".

Also I'd get a Little Dot MKIII instead of the Darkvoice as I've read the DV doesn't roll tubes as nice as the LD and can hum in some setups. I came very very close to pulling the trigger on the DV but ended up purchasing the LD and i been very happy! Spent some time rolling tubes in it and it was a blast. Settled on the Novosibirsk power tubes and EI 6HM5 Yugoslavian drivers, nice, very nice!
Just my 2cents...YMMV

Aug 3, 2019 at 10:03 AM Post #154 of 802
Does anyone know am i able to temporarily use radsone es100 as dac to p20?

Yes, you can use the ES100 to drive the P20 - and the ES100 can act as either a USB DAC, or as a BT Receiver/DAC.
If you want a balanced connections, and you're handy at soldering, you can build something like this 2.5mm TRRS to Dual 3-Pin XLR cable, for quite a bit less than $58 - https://www.ebay.com/p/2-5mm-TRRS-B...Cable-for-Astell-kern-Ak240-Ak380/11012885695
Otherwise, for a single-ended connection, you can use a widely available 3.5mm TRS to Dual RCA cable, like this - https://smile.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-3-5mm-2-Male-Adapter-Stereo/dp/B01D5H8KO2

Aug 3, 2019 at 12:08 PM Post #155 of 802
I found these https://tubes-store.com/product_info.php?products_id=176
I paid around 16 bucks for the matched pair I bought but they were not Reflector factory tubes which I hear are the best replacement in the P20. I'm prob gonna order these also...at a $1.50 each how can you not?? I want to hear if they are indeed "better".

Also I'd get a Little Dot MKIII instead of the Darkvoice as I've read the DV doesn't roll tubes as nice as the LD and can hum in some setups. I came very very close to pulling the trigger on the DV but ended up purchasing the LD and i been very happy! Spent some time rolling tubes in it and it was a blast. Settled on the Novosibirsk power tubes and EI 6HM5 Yugoslavian drivers, nice, very nice!
Just my 2cents...YMMV
I've always wondered which performed better the two tube or 4 tube amps ...
Price between the two are close unless you get in on the $199 Massdrop deal for the Darkvoice

Aug 3, 2019 at 3:15 PM Post #157 of 802
I've always wondered which performed better the two tube or 4 tube amps ...
Price between the two are close unless you get in on the $199 Massdrop deal for the Darkvoice

Since the P20 is a hybrid, with the op-amps providing the current that drives the headphones - I suspect that higher output tubes probably aren't necessary in the P20.

Aug 4, 2019 at 1:07 PM Post #158 of 802
Yesterday afternoon, I did go ahead and assemble the Balanced 4-Pin XLR Plug -to- 2.5mm TRRS Jack Adapter, and verified that the wiring is correct, using the tests on AudioCheck.net.
IMG_20190804_090300.jpg
IMG_20190804_090426.jpg
IMG_20190804_090527.jpg
IMG_20190804_090042.jpg

Aug 4, 2019 at 1:12 PM Post #159 of 802
Yesterday afternoon, I did go ahead and assemble the Balanced 4-Pin XLR Plug -to- 2.5mm TRRS Jack Adapter, and verified that the wiring is correct, using the tests on AudioCheck.net.

Wow. Good luck!

Shane D

Aug 4, 2019 at 3:22 PM Post #161 of 802
Hello P20 Owners!

Since I received my unit, one of the tubes is lit red by a tiny LED on the circuit board, right in the centre of the tube socket. This is instead of the purplish blue produced at the base of the other tube (which accordingly illuminates that tube purplish blue).

This red LED engages as soon as I turn the P20 on and it will remain that way during use.

The only exception is when I turn it on having not used it for a while, it will sometimes briefly stutter blue before settling on red and staying that way for the duration of the session. Re-seating the tube or changing tubes makes no difference and it is always red on the same side/socket.

Given that all the pics I have seen show two tubes of the same colour, am I right to assume this is some kind of error indicator? (Facing the front of the unit, the red tube in question is on the right).

Attached is a picture of the tube socket. The LED in question (it’s off / not lit in the picture, as I wanted to precisely specify the exact location) is situated in the tiny hole in the very centre of the white socket.

Has anyone else had this issue or can share any light (no pun intended) as to what it means?

Many thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 2AF4D02E-23D4-4C5A-B58D-46D073F1B28E.jpeg
    2AF4D02E-23D4-4C5A-B58D-46D073F1B28E.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 5, 2019 at 9:56 AM Post #162 of 802
If you are brave, I would open the case and take a good picture of the bad side vs the good side socket.
Top of board and bottom.

Maybe you are able to see some bad solder or some extra small issue compared to the good side.
Be sure to remove the tubes for a good clear picture. Keep an eye on bulging capacitors as that is an indications of a failure.

Please note that I do not see any attached picture on your post.

my2cents

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2019 at 1:49 PM Post #163 of 802
If you are brave, I would open the case and take a good picture of the bad side vs the good side socket.
Top of board and bottom.

Maybe you are able to see some bad solder or some extra small issue compared to the good side.
Be sure to remove the tubes for a good clear picture. Keep an eye on bulging capacitors as that is an indications of a failure.

Please note that I do not see any attached picture on your post.

my2cents
Hi, thanks for trying to help. I attached a pic and it’s there if I go to edit my original post but like you I don’t see it showing in the thread either. . . Perhaps because I am a relatively new user with out many likes/reccs, I don’t have pic posting privileges?

In lieu of a pic, here is a random tube socket listing on Amazon to illustrate. The LEDs are situated on the board right at the bottom of the hole in the center of the white tube socket ring/mount.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00KJJFHYQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_RZgsDbS4RTEF8

I’d rather not take the P20 apart as that would probably complicate returning it to Amazon.
I suppose I should just send it back, if what I’m experiencing is not normal behaviour from the unit.

Thanks again

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back