Low budget cartridges.
Jan 9, 2008 at 6:47 PM Post #31 of 38
I just got a nice deal on a Cambridge Audio 640P and I'm about to order a cartridge and some other stuff, but for some reason I'm still in doubt what cartridge I should be getting. Best options (thanks all) would be the AT 440MLa and the Denon DL 110 as they are about the same price I'm willing to pay.

Wondering if there's anybody who can point me in the right direction? To sum my system up:

Pioneer PL-112D -> Cambridge Audio 640P -> Little Dot MKIII -> Sennheiser HD595 (for now, I am thinking about replacing it in a while)

Jan 9, 2008 at 7:16 PM Post #32 of 38
Both are equally good choices in the context of your system and should match perfectly, it just comes down to your own preference for the kind of sound you want.
The AT has a pretty incisive top end which some people find too harsh but it gives you a lot of detail and is very good on rhythms and dynamics within the music. The line contact stylus is also excellent at getting past the surface noise into the detail of a recording.
The Denon has a slightly softer focus, but paints in bolder colours with a better feeling of solidity in the base and a very musical and involving midrange.
I'd be tempted to go for the Denon maybe but choice of music will also be a big factor here with the AT sounding the more modern of the two.

Jan 9, 2008 at 8:30 PM Post #33 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by memepool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Both are equally good choices in the context of your system and should match perfectly, it just comes down to your own preference for the kind of sound you want.
The AT has a pretty incisive top end which some people find too harsh but it gives you a lot of detail and is very good on rhythms and dynamics within the music. The line contact stylus is also excellent at getting past the surface noise into the detail of a recording.
The Denon has a slightly softer focus, but paints in bolder colours with a better feeling of solidity in the base and a very musical and involving midrange.
I'd be tempted to go for the Denon maybe but choice of music will also be a big factor here with the AT sounding the more modern of the two.

Thanks again memepool, you really helped me out getting into vinyl! I was already leaning towards the Denon and after reading some other views of people and your post I believe it will suit me just fine. I will let you and the others know what I think of it when it arrives.

Jan 22, 2008 at 3:13 AM Post #35 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For those thinking about using the 440MLa with Pro-Ject turntables you will need to also buy the heavier counterweight for the tonearm.

Duggeh, which one did you snag? Looks like there are 6 or so different size counterweights for the Xpression.

Jan 22, 2008 at 12:55 PM Post #36 of 38
I have Pineer PL12DMKII with Cambridge Auido 640P as well. AT440MLa cart is an excellent choice...but you might also want to consider very musical Denon DL160 (MC high output). I have both carts that I interchange with KAB modded (fluid dampener and external power supply) Technics 1210MKII turntable. I would say DL160 has little more edge being very musical and non fatiguing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got a nice deal on a Cambridge Audio 640P and I'm about to order a cartridge and some other stuff, but for some reason I'm still in doubt what cartridge I should be getting. Best options (thanks all) would be the AT 440MLa and the Denon DL 110 as they are about the same price I'm willing to pay.

Wondering if there's anybody who can point me in the right direction? To sum my system up:

Pioneer PL-112D -> Cambridge Audio 640P -> Little Dot MKIII -> Sennheiser HD595 (for now, I am thinking about replacing it in a while)

Feb 3, 2008 at 6:00 PM Post #37 of 38
After getting used to the sound, here's my impression of the Denon DL-110 as used in my Pioneer PL-112D. As the only other cartridge I have is the original one which came with my turntable, I don't think it's worth comparing each other. All I was looking for was a nice cartridge to complement my turntable.

The Denon DL-110 delivers a smooth high which doesn't shred, opened up the mids alot and the lows are more prominent now. At least, so it does to my ears using my Senn HD595's. So all in all I'm quite happy whereas my wallet isn't.

For those interested, these are the vinyl I listened to:
-Contagious Orgasm - Daft Jarring Effects
-Fad Gadget - Collapsing New People
-Marvin - Marvin
-Propellerheads - Bang On!

Feb 4, 2008 at 10:42 AM Post #38 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Denon DL-110 delivers a smooth high which doesn't shred, opened up the mids alot and the lows are more prominent now.

cool glad you liked it
biggrin.gif
Also worth noting that MC carts take much longer to break in than MM's as the suspension is stiffer so they can sound edgy and closed in for the first 25-50 hrs of use, which is quite a few plays.
The sound should continue to smooth out and open up gradually as you run it in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back