Low budget cartridges.
Dec 7, 2007 at 12:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

jonnywolfet

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi all.
i haven't seen a thread on carts here, a search gave little info, and i thought a thread on carts would suit the thread on budget turntables...

long time vinyl lover here, but a relative newb with lp equipment.

i have at the moment, a thorens td165 with a grado blue cart, running through a graham slee 'bridge' phono stage. (i also have a linn lp12, but am waiting on a new motor)
the sound is pretty good, although im a gear nerd so would like to try some more carts.
i allready have a protractor and tracking force scales, the turntable is nice and level too, that did make a nice difference to the sound, as well as isolating the deck on a shelf.

so my question is this, what are the best budget (up to and less than $150) mm carts?

Dec 7, 2007 at 1:05 PM Post #2 of 38
I am thinking about getting a Shure M97Xe- which seems to be the most highly regarded budget cartridge. My question is, how difficult is it to replace one of these?

Dec 7, 2007 at 2:24 PM Post #3 of 38
Ortofon OM10 and Audio-Technica 440MLa are both brilliant budget carts. The OM10 can also be upgraded in half a second to the OM20, OM30 or OM40 stylus.

Dec 7, 2007 at 3:23 PM Post #4 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pangaea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am thinking about getting a Shure M97Xe- which seems to be the most highly regarded budget cartridge. My question is, how difficult is it to replace one of these?

I bought one for my 85 year old Father with cataracts, and he managed to mount it, so it can't be that hard
biggrin.gif

I haven't had a listen, but I am amazed that a $90 cartridge has such a nice box and accessories.

Dec 7, 2007 at 3:51 PM Post #5 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonnywolfet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what are the best budget (up to and less than $150) mm carts?

Aside from the Shure's and Grado's the most popular would be

Audio Technica AT95E / 110E / AT440MLA
Goldring 1000 series ( 1006,1012 etc)
Ortofon OM and 2M series
Stanton 668

There are also a few more obscure ones like the

Nagaoka MP10/11/15 series

which are still available in Germany and the UK starting under 50USD and these along with the AT's would be the most popular match for the kind of tonearms on the decks you have (unless you have and Ittok on the LP12). The Goldrings are also a very good choice but are way overpriced in the USA for some reason.

There is also an MI in the shape of the Bang and Olufsen MMC4 which is available from Soundsmith in the USA and requires an adaptor to fit a conventional headshell which costs about 10 dollars on ebay from Germany.

Also don't forget that High Output Moving Coil carts like the Denon DL110/160 will work with a conventional MM stage.

Dec 7, 2007 at 4:38 PM Post #6 of 38
As part of the at440mla brigade (known as the purple people I think) I can recommend the cart. I think that in the price range it's super good and a better match for my arm and taste than the Nagaoka mp11.

Another thing to try if you already have a Grado is to look up the "longhorn" mod by AVA.

Dec 7, 2007 at 5:05 PM Post #7 of 38
I wasn't crazy about the 440ml,
I found it to be kind of thin sounding. I had a Nag MP11, actually I still own it...very nice cart for the money.

Dec 7, 2007 at 5:19 PM Post #8 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarchi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had a Nag MP11, actually I still own it...very nice cart for the money.

I go along with that. Hunt down the boron stylus version. A firmer sound.

Dec 7, 2007 at 5:41 PM Post #9 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Herandu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I go along with that. Hunt down the boron stylus version. A firmer sound.

Sadly I don't think that's still available and they fetch silly money on ebay. Musonic (UK) Ltd - Stylus, Styli, Needles, Cartridges, Record & Audio Accessories in Watford (London) have the MP10 and MP11 for 30-40UKP and there seems to be a whole new range of Nagaoka's as well going from MP100-MP500.

The Audio Technica 95E or 110E would be a cheaper introduction to the AT sound which admittedly can be a bit grating on some set-ups, but is worth a go on the LP12 or Thorens as the suspension absorbs the excess treble energy I think.

You can pick up an AT95E brand new on ebay for under 25UKP at which price it's pretty hard to beat and certainly offers about as diametrically opposed a presentation to the Grado as you are likely to find at this price. AT even made Linn's budget basik and K-series carts back in the day.

Dec 7, 2007 at 7:06 PM Post #10 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonnywolfet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi all.
i have at the moment, a thorens td165 with a grado blue cart, running through a graham slee 'bridge' phono stage. (i also have a linn lp12, .....so my question is this, what are the best budget (up to and less than $150) mm carts?

Since you are obviously much better off than I thought make that Ten quid in the Oxfam collection tin
biggrin.gif

Dec 7, 2007 at 8:02 PM Post #11 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by riffer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought one for my 85 year old Father with cataracts, and he managed to mount it, so it can't be that hard
biggrin.gif

I haven't had a listen, but I am amazed that a $90 cartridge has such a nice box and accessories.

Thats good to know. Can anyone hear comment on the SQ of the Shure. What I have read on web, it sounds like a winner- but I'd still like to get some feedback here.

Dec 7, 2007 at 8:20 PM Post #12 of 38
I have the Shure cart, but have only put a few hours on it while I was waiting for my Grado Platinum to show up. From a limited impression, I thought it was a good tracker and performer. I think it would be even better with a little tweaking on setup and a full break-in. I will give it an extended listen sooner or later, but the turntable is going under the knife soon. Still waiting on the SE spider, then I'll upgrade to a full Orbe, with all the levelling and spring-futzing that will involve.

Anyway, you might also want to consider the Grado Gold. I ran one on my Planar 3 daily for a year and it is an excellent cartridge. I have seen new ones go for $139, so that's in your budget.

I also have a Denon DL-103 which should also be in your budget. I still need to finish the step-up transformer project and have not yet mounted it. But what I've read was enough to get me to buy one. If you are interested in a MC cart, that one should be on your list.

Dec 8, 2007 at 3:13 AM Post #13 of 38
Granted a lot boils down to the sound signature that you like and are looking for, but I tried the shure M97Xe and the AT 440mla before settling on the Denon DL-110 and couldn't be happier... at least for a while
biggrin.gif

Dec 8, 2007 at 12:16 PM Post #14 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by hciman77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since you are obviously much better off than I thought make that Ten quid in the Oxfam collection tin
biggrin.gif

hehe, i did, i also bought a few lp's too. unfortunately i am not weathy, but very lucky, these turntables were donated by my father and my father-in law.

to all the posters on this thread, thanks very much for your input, birthday money will be well spent (22 dec).

now to look into my options on record cleaning.......

Dec 8, 2007 at 1:02 PM Post #15 of 38
Any one wanting a cartridge less than $100 can do no better than a model from audio Technica.The 440MLa which comes with a fine-line stylus gets mentioned a lot.The sweet spot is the AT120E which can be picked up for less than $70.Its a better alternative to the Shure 97xE for about the same money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back