Love My NEW SuperMacro
Dec 9, 2004 at 2:30 AM Post #76 of 127
Absolutely awesome!! You are now obligated to post your impressions of your new investment at your earliest convenience.
cool.gif

Dec 9, 2004 at 3:07 AM Post #77 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by vranswer
Absolutely awesome!! You are now obligated to post your impressions of your new investment at your earliest convenience.
cool.gif

I will be absolutely thrilled to once I receive it. I'll definately have to do an interactive burn-in for a week or so, then I'll be ready to give my impressions
600smile.gif
. Oh yeah, has anyone here had any experience with the Xitel Pro Hifi-Link Audio Processor, which is basically just a USB line-out. I'm thinking this is the most economical and smallest one, so I think its my best bet unless I hear otherwise.

Dec 9, 2004 at 3:19 AM Post #78 of 127
If I'm not mistaken, getting an M-Audio Sonica or M-Audio Transit could be cheaper and better sounding than the Xitel card.

Dec 11, 2004 at 1:01 AM Post #81 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by kiwirugby
The caps are replaced with much larger ones. I left the 3x buffers and OPA627 there...... it'll ....have better bass.
Thanks,
Xin

I think his website has more on this. Go here:

http://www.fixup.net/products/macro/details.htm

That sounds like more caps AND more buffers!
biggrin.gif

In case you don't want to follow the link basically more buffers lower the output impedence, which makes the amp better for lower impedence headphones. More buffers give a more constant power supply, which supposedly gives a fuller sound.

Dec 11, 2004 at 2:10 AM Post #82 of 127
After listening and comparing this amp to a few I can say without question this is one great amp, regardless of size. It is just plain fun!

John

Dec 11, 2004 at 2:11 AM Post #83 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoide
If I'm not mistaken, getting an M-Audio Sonica or M-Audio Transit could be cheaper and better sounding than the Xitel card.

Why do you say that? I have the Xitel AN-1 and I think it's pretty good, at least it's better than the Chaintech AV710 that everyone's talking so much about. Of course I'm just guessing that the AN-1 might be something like the Hi-fi Link.
tongue.gif

oops, sorry about straying so far off-topic.
redface.gif

Dec 11, 2004 at 4:57 AM Post #85 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by Slashkit
erikzen,

Is lower output impedence means the sound will be less punchy?
And what is low impedence headphone? What about ER4S?

You can probably get better information elsewhere as I'm really not that knowledgeable about electronics, so you may want to fact check anything I tell you.

That being said, in answer to your first question, I do not believe so unequivically. I think it would depend on the headphones you use. For example, Grado headphones in general are low impedence cans and paired with an amp that had more buffers I think it would sound very punchy. On the other hand a pair of Sennheiser HD650 are higher impedence and may not benefit so much from the added buffers. There may be other reasons why adding more buffers would be good for Senns but I'm thinking bigger caps would be the way to go.

ER4S are high impedence canalphones. They would probably benefit from a SuperMacro with larger caps as opposed to more buffers. I'm sure if I'm wrong here someone can help me out. Better yet, ask Xin about what configuration he thinks would best suit your headphones. A lot of people with the ER4S like the bass boost switch so you might want to go for that option. Post your questions in his forums and he'll be sure to respond.

Dec 11, 2004 at 5:51 AM Post #86 of 127
I have a few more questions regarding the batteries. Up until my new Ansman 900 mAH batteries showed up yesterday, I tried out a mix of Powerex and Radio Shack 700 mAH batteries in the amp. They worked fine. However, when I had the amp plugged in with the batteries installed, the amp started to get hot. I now have the new Ansmans in there and I would venture to say that they have not yet been charged through the SuperMacro.

My questions are:

Why did the amp get hot?

Will it damage the amp to leave it plugged in with batteries installed?

Can I charge up my new batteries by installing them in the SuperMacro and just leave it plugged in overnight?

Will it start to heat up again and should I be concerned if it does?

Dec 11, 2004 at 6:40 AM Post #87 of 127
erikzen said:
I have a few more questions regarding the batteries. Up until my new Ansman 900 mAH batteries showed up yesterday, I tried out a mix of Powerex and Radio Shack 700 mAH batteries in the amp. They worked fine. However, when I had the amp plugged in with the batteries installed, the amp started to get hot. I now have the new Ansmans in there and I would venture to say that they have not yet been charged through the SuperMacro.

My questions are:
QUOTE]

I pretent to be the guy knows something here
smily_headphones1.gif
My Two cents:

Why did the amp get hot?

A: When you had the amp plugged in with the batteries installed, the SM's charging the batteries automatively while driving your cans.

Will it damage the amp to leave it plugged in with batteries installed?

A: No unless you leave the batteries (700MAH) charged over 8 hours in SM.

Can I charge up my new batteries by installing them in the SuperMacro and just leave it plugged in overnight?

A: Yes, the difference is that it will take more time to fully charge the new batteries (900MAH), say, 10 hours.

Will it start to heat up again and should I be concerned if it does?
A: Yes, but it won't hurt as long as you don't over-charge them.

Dec 11, 2004 at 12:25 PM Post #88 of 127
I spoke a while back with Xin about the charging. He stated that the batteries can be left in and the unit plugged into the wall wart and that the batteries will not overcharge. Also, the unit should not get hot. If it did then it is possible that the batteries were not all the same that were being charged and that was causing a problem. My unit stays plugged in all of the time and does not get warm but the batteries are trickle charged, keeping them ready to go.

John

Dec 11, 2004 at 2:19 PM Post #89 of 127
Erikzen,

There are some basic rules that should be followed when using batteries unless you have a lot of knowledge about the subject or otherwise know what you're doing.

-Never use batteries with different mah rating together in one device.
-Never use batteries of different brands together.
-The batteries you use together must all be about the same age and have had the same use.

This is too make sure they all discharge equally. You don't want 1 battery completely flat when others still have a lot of juice in them. They will start charging the flat battery with the polarity reversed.

Dec 11, 2004 at 4:06 PM Post #90 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa
Erikzen,

There are some basic rules that should be followed when using batteries unless you have a lot of knowledge about the subject or otherwise know what you're doing.

-Never use batteries with different mah rating together in one device.
-Never use batteries of different brands together.
-The batteries you use together must all be about the same age and have had the same use.

This is too make sure they all discharge equally. You don't want 1 battery completely flat when others still have a lot of juice in them. They will start charging the flat battery with the polarity reversed.

Good advice, Lisa. It seems like the only battery law I broke was number 2. I've had the Ansman batteries in overnight and the amp is cool as a cuke!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back