Love My NEW SuperMacro
Dec 5, 2004 at 1:11 AM Post #46 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by rab10
My SM has been increased to 10dB from 500Hz.
Originally it was at 6dB from 300Hz.

Sounds great upon initial listening.
etysmile.gif

However, I will definately need to EQ in some Bass from my Portable
if I want more bass impact with my ER-4P's.

Bass sounds great out of my SM and KSC-35's and A900's through the home rig.

Hmm... I wonder why he raised the lowest boost frequency after moving up to 10db... I thought that if you wanted more bass you would not only raise the boost itself in db's but also lower or at least maintain the low frequency threshold.

Dec 5, 2004 at 3:20 AM Post #47 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzen
I'm just curious as to why you've narrowed it down to those amps.

$250 and under... portable.

Dec 5, 2004 at 3:45 AM Post #48 of 127
Quote:

I recieved my SM back in the mail today. Upon my first listen I can definately hear the bass difference with my ER-4Ps (it is not overpowering at all, and the sound is still clear and expansive.) However it is a subtle difference and not the bass boom I was expecting.

Thanks.

From Xin's website, he said that the default bass boost now is above 6DB but not as high as 10DB (probably 8DB, who know). I guess 10DB will be too boomy to some tastes and Xin finds a sweat spot of it.

Dec 5, 2004 at 3:54 AM Post #49 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by vranswer
I believe the character of the sound is much more affected by the buffers and large caps Xin is now using. I know it's been discussed before, but I notice a very significant difference between the old and new SM, even though I have the same OPA627s as before. Out of the box without any burn in the bass has more punch, and I can pick out instruments way better than before. I really liked the SuperMono, but now the Macro is smack dab in the SR-71 league IMO.

You have the SR-71 as well?

Dec 5, 2004 at 4:11 AM Post #50 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by IpodSF
$250 and under... portable.

OK, because there are a few more choices available in that price range that are portable. I don't mean to overload you but I thought you might like to check out:

JMT Audio
Headsave
Shellbrook Audio Lab
Portaphile

There may be a few more I can't remember right now, but these are the most reputable builders around here.

Dec 5, 2004 at 12:28 PM Post #51 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by bLue_oNioN
You have the SR-71 as well?

Had. Sold it recently.

Dec 5, 2004 at 5:37 PM Post #52 of 127
Quote:

Had. Sold it recently.

What are your thoughts/views of the SR-71 compared to the SuperMono and the SuperDual? Curious why you sold it.

Dec 5, 2004 at 6:23 PM Post #53 of 127
I have both and the difference to me is that the SuperMacro is about row 2 to 3, detail, impact, and immediate. The SR-71 is row 12 to 15, the sound is a little mellower, slightly less detailed, but unlike a further row, there is less distinct reverb. They both are fine sounding; it just depends on where you like to sit. I like to sit up front.

John

Dec 5, 2004 at 6:28 PM Post #54 of 127
I did write a review on the subject. I sold the SR-71 mostly because of size considerations.

jamato8, very well put. The SR-71 still would have an edge in separation IMO, but not enough to make up for the size difference. I wear my gear on the belt, so it has to be as tiny as possible. SuperMacro wins in that arena, hands down.

Dec 5, 2004 at 6:30 PM Post #55 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8
I have both and the difference to me is that the SuperMacro is about row 2 to 3, detail, impact, and immediate. The SR-71 is row 12 to 15, the sound is a little mellower, slightly less detailed, but unlike a further row, there is less distinct reverb. They both are fine sounding; it just depends on where you like to sit. I like to sit up front.

John

Good analogy, although I liken it to room size as opposed to where I'm sitting. To me, the Ray Samuels house sound gives me the impression of being in a small theater, while the Xin house sound sounds like a smaller club. I've always thought Xin's amps had that immediate upfront sound. Of course, the SuperMacro also adds the detail previous Xin amps kind of glossed over.

Dec 5, 2004 at 7:22 PM Post #56 of 127
Quote:

I did write a review on the subject. I sold the SR-71 mostly because of size considerations.

jamato8, very well put. The SR-71 still would have an edge in separation IMO, but not enough to make up for the size difference. I wear my gear on the belt, so it has to be as tiny as possible. SuperMacro wins in that arena, hands down.

Thanks for posting the link to your review. I am considering putting my SR-71 up for sale and picking up a SuperMono. I agree regarding the size, which is why I still have a SuperDual.

Dec 5, 2004 at 7:48 PM Post #58 of 127
Quote:

Mailed back to fix the 6bB to 10dB boost change, battery door intermittency,
and even the front input jacks became loose in my SuperMacro.

Double-sided sticky tape Battery Contact attachments
But it works and easily replaceable/fixable.

Excellent sound though, but debate-able boomy lower end IMO BUT MAYBE NOT after upgrades as I get it back (as posted in other threads I didn't take note of my serial number - isn't it the number on a sticker inside the battery housing? Well it isn't printed on the printed sales reciept that I recieved either.)

Just when I thought I'd made my decision....quality control issues! Anyone else having these or other problems? What about the equipment upgrade which was to solve the misaligned holes for the switches? Hope for some good news on Xin having these issues corrected.

Dec 5, 2004 at 8:02 PM Post #59 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by KenW
Just when I thought I'd made my decision....quality control issues! Anyone else having these or other problems? What about the equipment upgrade which was to solve the misaligned holes for the switches? Hope for some good news on Xin having these issues corrected.

Well, I've had three Xin products now (SuperDual, SuperMono & updated SuperMacro), and none of them have had any issues with build quality. If you follow fixup.net's support forum, you get a good sense of Xin's commitment to service - straight up, he fixes what's wrong usually pretty quickly. Don't mean to sound like fanboy, I just continue to be impressed with his designs and service.

Dec 5, 2004 at 8:06 PM Post #60 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by KenW

I recieved my SM back and everything was fixed by Xin (short turnover time.)

"The Double-sided sticky tape Battery Contact attachments"
Is not a problem with the player, it is just a simplistic/inexpensive decision in design. It is merly a quirk with me, that I wish that particular detail were more professionally designed/manufactured. It works, no problems. Nuff said.

There are no misaligned input/output jacks, or misaligned holes for the switches, (this might have been an issue with the protype SM models, it was fixed before XIN started to mail out his preorder SM's right before Thanksgiving, from what I have read posted around here.)

Enjoy!
etysmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back