Love LA2000 but too much leakage. Suggest a replacement ...
May 24, 2009 at 8:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

nc8000

Headphoneus Supremus
My main listening phones are my balanced ER4 that are fantastic for my main listening which is classical and other accoustical genres however sometimes I miss the more physical sound of my L3000 (that I sold for generally being too dark sounding and also to release some cash). I have now for some months had a set of LA2000 (the markl modded and woodied Dennon D2000 but with a L3000 stock cable in place of the Jena cable) and they are about exactly what I wanted except the one problem that they leak way too much sound for me to be able to use them where they are intended which is in bed at night with the wife wanting to sleep no more than 2' away so I'm looking for a replacement with a similar sound signature. They are intended mostly for rock and other elctrical amplified genres but I also find that the LA2000 is ideal for church organ compared to the ER4. Main requirement is NO leakage. Price range is <$750. Closed phones I have tried (some owned and now sold) are DT770/80 PRO (too boomy), L3000 (too dark but otherwise fantastic albeight too expensive to keep), JVC DX1000 (too much bass), ESW9 (not bad but too uncomfortable for long sessions and did leak a bit too much), R10 bass heavy (very good but wayyyy to expensive). I have never tried any Ultrasone. I'm interested in the AT A2000X but worried that it will leak too much. Some have suggested the DT770/600 Manufaktur and if isolation is on par with the DT770/80 PRO there certainly wont be any leakage there and comfort was good also.

Any thoughts ?

EDIT: Don't suggest custom iem's as that is a road I'm not prepared to take due to 0 resaleability if I don't like what I get.

May 24, 2009 at 8:34 AM Post #3 of 23
I actually had a Darth Beyer >4 years ago when I started my full size journey and didn't like it at the time but then I don't know to what specifications the original owner had Larry design them nor wether the design of the Darth's have progressed in those 4 years or for that matter if my taste has changed over that time.

May 24, 2009 at 9:50 AM Post #6 of 23
Those A2000X have a fairly loose fit, I would be surprised if they did not leak quite a bit.

How about a pair of these?
site_image_srh840_l.jpg

Maybe one of these... (although a bit out of your price range, may be worth it!)
Ed8_light_04_white%20(Large).jpg

May 24, 2009 at 9:57 AM Post #7 of 23
If you like your bass, ED9's aren't far off Denons, but maybe a bit tighter in all areas.

The other thing is, if you find the right material, you can put something between the frame and the earpads to stop the leakage, which might be worth trying before you abandon them.

May 24, 2009 at 10:45 AM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by padam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would vote for ESW10JPN (APS V3). It had minimal leakage (it has thicker pads compared to the ESW9 so it should be a little bit more comfortable as well) and sounded awesome, I still miss it.

I did like my ESW9 with V3 cable so I'm tempted to buy the ESW10 in the FS forum and have them shipped directly to Alex for a recable.

May 24, 2009 at 1:42 PM Post #12 of 23
As the owner of two Denons modded by MarkL and w/ Bubinga wood cups I have to wonder how loud you listen to the music. Mine at the levels I listen at do not leak at all. Could it be that they pads are not making a good seal due to lack of pressure? It might be worth exploring if you could "bend" the headband to improve the seal (ask MarkL). I have owned the ATH-ESW9 and they leak a lot more than the Denon's so do the ESW10jpn. Good luck.

May 24, 2009 at 2:17 PM Post #14 of 23
I listen from my RPX-100 at between 9 and 10 o'clock and would not call that loud. To not hear any leakage I need to go lower than 8 o'clock and the dial only starts at 7 o'clock. I am pretty sure I have a good seal and applying varying degrees of pressure on the cups with my hands make no difference to leaking according to my wife. When I test them myself I put them on my upper leg and get what looks like a very good seal but still plenty of leakage so it's not my wife that is hyper sensetive. There was very little to no leaking with the ESW9 when I had them which is strange because they dont isolate very well againt external noise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back