Loudspeakers vs headphones
Nov 11, 2012 at 6:03 AM Post #46 of 219
its either a pain or a joy getting off your butt to tweak the hifi setup 10-20ft away,
getting back to the triangle-sweetspot to check the imaging...
then repeat n repeat until u swear celine dion is alive infront of u.
( the tv is covered, the corners are tuned, ceiling fans are off..coffeetable thrown out of the window..
dogs are sedated,,etc etc)

headfi wins when it comes to close quarter control, all within arms length..and enjoying that popcorn. 
yes the soundstage follows your head...the best part.

Nov 11, 2012 at 6:53 AM Post #47 of 219
Quote:
its either a pain or a joy getting off your butt to tweak the hifi setup 10-20ft away,
getting back to the triangle-sweetspot to check the imaging...
then repeat n repeat until u swear celine dion is alive infront of u.
( the tv is covered, the corners are tuned, ceiling fans are off..coffeetable thrown out of the window..
dogs are sedated,,etc etc)

funny..but sort of true.

Nov 11, 2012 at 12:30 PM Post #48 of 219
Pretty much me. Though I do realize that 10k goes a lot farther in headphone land than it does in speaker land, and I appreciate that part of headphones, too.

Looking for finally invest and make a pair of speakers work next year. Hoping to hit up some Zus or Audio Notes with a low power tube integrated amp.

Quote:
I'm surprised the Realiser hasn't gotten any mention.  With a 007/009 and a proper PRIR, the Realiser is one of the best kept secrets in headphoneland.  They're not as good as speakers, but they can get you about 80-90% there.  The Realiser is far, far superior to any equalization software I've ever used.  I didn't believe it until a friend kept pushing me to demo his unit, and the results made me a believer.  I've gotten a lot of PMs asking me about selling my Realiser, but I don't think I can part with it.  It didn't work that well with the HE6, but it's amazing with Stax headphones.

That said, next to a Realiser+stat chain, for soundstaging, a properly amped HE6 and a HD800+Balancing Act would be runners up.  I agree with the earlier posters; speakers are king.  I've met a lot of HFers in a similar boat as me.  Prefer speakers, but can't make them work due to living situation.

Nov 11, 2012 at 6:58 PM Post #49 of 219
I will freely admit that if i had space for speakers that i would love to have a speaker rig. Theres just something about listening to speakers that you cant get through even the best of headphones. And i know that for the money you get alot more detail out of headphones than you can out of speakers.

But for now, i dont have even close to the space for a nice speaker rig, so instead ill build myself an awesome headphone rig instead. But my dream setup is a pair of Maggie 3.7s, ever since i heard my first maggie, a lowly MG12 like 7 years ago, ive been in love. Though some of these internet direct companies seem to get consistantly very good reviews, so id like to check them out as well. mainly Salk Signature Sound, comparing the HT2-TLs to the maggie 3.7s

Nov 11, 2012 at 7:38 PM Post #50 of 219
Maggies destroy most competitors no matter which model they are (in the price range of course). 

The MMGs are amazing for $600.

Quote:
I will freely admit that if i had space for speakers that i would love to have a speaker rig. Theres just something about listening to speakers that you cant get through even the best of headphones. And i know that for the money you get alot more detail out of headphones than you can out of speakers.

But for now, i dont have even close to the space for a nice speaker rig, so instead ill build myself an awesome headphone rig instead. But my dream setup is a pair of Maggie 3.7s, ever since i heard my first maggie, a lowly MG12 like 7 years ago, ive been in love. Though some of these internet direct companies seem to get consistantly very good reviews, so id like to check them out as well. mainly Salk Signature Sound, comparing the HT2-TLs to the maggie 3.7s

Nov 12, 2012 at 12:46 AM Post #55 of 219
Quote:
Which parameters you think headphones are superior to speakers?

They have more pleasing sound with well mastered music, an audiophile widget. I listen 50:50 to my Duevel Planets and LCD-2.2. I have O2 in the closet. But even HD-518 can give me all the music in the world. Everyting above HD-518 is lux and vanity :)

Nov 12, 2012 at 2:33 PM Post #56 of 219
I like my speaker rig and my headphone rig.  Their presentations are different.  What I will say is that building a good speaker rig can involve a lot more work than building a good headphone rig.  The dollar amounts can be staggering.  The number of choices, the permutations and combinations, are also mind boggling.  Finally, it is fairly easy to screw up a speaker rig, to spend a boat load of money for mediocre or unsatisfying sound.  Check out the threads on Audiocircle with impressions of RMAF 2012.  Seems like there were three or four lousy sounding rooms for every one good sounding room.  The rooms that got "best in show" kudos contained speakers that retailed, in most cases, for more than $10,000, with $25,000-$60,000 the norm.  And consider that some rooms with speakers that cost over $100,000 were just "meh".  This reminds me of the time I spent in the showrooms at Sound by Singer and Stereo Exchange in New York listening to extremely well-reviewed, well-regarded speakers that sounded OK at best.  DeVore and Audio Physics speakers, for example, sounded tipped up and lacked in bass extension, something you might not readily accept from a $10,000 speaker if you are used to listening to a $1,000 pair of LCD-2s. You can buy a TOTL headphone rig (stats, dynamic, both) for less than the New York sales tax on expensive speakers.  And if you are used to listening to headphones, you might just prefer the sound quality of a TOTL headphone rig.

Nov 12, 2012 at 2:45 PM Post #57 of 219
I can't say for all headphones or all speakers, but when I can choose between my D7000's and my 685's in near-field, I usually choose the 685's (depending on the song). I really enjoy their energy and I've *never* heard such quick and punchy bass.

However, I have roommates, so I end up using my D7000's more often.

Nov 12, 2012 at 11:13 PM Post #58 of 219
The uncomplicated nature of a headphone system really appeals to me.  Less concern over synergy of the components, bass management, room characteristics, seating position, etc.  Also cost less.

On the other hand, if you spend the time and money to set up a good loudspeaker system, it will most likely beat a headphone system for pure music reproduction.

All depends how much time you want to invest and how much money you want to spend.

I, for one, spend equal time with both my systems.

Nov 14, 2012 at 6:57 PM Post #59 of 219
I listened to a friends' speaker system last night at his house.

Source(s): PS Audio PWT / VPI Scoutmaster w/ VPI JMW-10.5i Tonearm

Dac: Perpetual Technology P-1A/P-3A

Preamp: Joule Electra LA100 mk.III

Amp: Art Audio Carissa Signature w/ Psvane 845s

Speakers: Merlin VSM-MXs w/ Duelund caps

Cables: Cardas Golden Reference ICs
Shunyata Python VXs
VH Audio AirSines

The listening room was treated with RPG Skyline diffusors and Echo Busters.

Needless to say, it's the best system I've heard yet, headphone and loudspeaker alike. Hauntingly realistic is how I would describe it. The whole system just disappears in front of you.

Nov 15, 2012 at 9:08 AM Post #60 of 219
Quote:
The biggest thing with detail especially at the level of the 009 and a good amp is that speakers that'd give that much detail are ridiculously expensive...I haven't heard anything that comes close, and while I haven't heard say 6 figure speakers I've heard some 4-5x the price of the 009.

Intimacy is easier to achieve with headphones but speakers are perfectly capable of being that way, too.

I've owned various Stax with dedicated amps, Quads and dynamic speakers. If the Fi is good (not necessarily expensive), I'd take speakers any time. The presentation is much more natural and believable. Still like my phones plenty.
normal_smile .gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back