Lots 'O Pics of the New Sony Qualia 010 *not for broadband challenged*
Apr 22, 2004 at 8:35 PM Post #31 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy
I know, but that's comparing apples and oranges. It's like saying why spend $4000 on a headphone rig when you could buy a great speaker rig for the same price. This product takes one concept (micro-mini cameras) to the extreme; that's the whole point of the Qualia line. I'm not saying it's rational or logical or worth buying -- but saying it's just the equivalent of a $200 camera is not fair.

Not really. It would be like offering an R10 with the drivers from a "Street Styles" headphones in it for $4000.

In the end, that camera is a low end performance camera with an obscene price tag. At least the expensive headphone rigs have some performance behind them other than being eye candy.
It would be a different story if they managed to cram a 5+MP CCD in there. I'm willing to bet it's the same CCD they use in their $150 2MP "sushi cams".

-Ed

Apr 22, 2004 at 8:43 PM Post #32 of 59
It's only "low end" in terms of resolution. In every other aspect (speed of the CCD, imaging algorithms, interchangeable lenses, size) it offers technology that has no alternative. If there were competitors with the same feature set it would be a whole different story, but for people who want the specific features it delivers, it is unique. Uniqueness is expensive.

Apr 22, 2004 at 9:13 PM Post #33 of 59
While it's probably better to keep the thread on topic, I think this product nicely illustrates the Qualia concept, find a niche you can produce cheaply and then exploit it with high prices. And Wodgy I think your statement "Uniqueness is expensive" could better be phrased as "Buying from a monopoly is expensive."
biggrin.gif

Apr 22, 2004 at 9:30 PM Post #34 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy
It's only "low end" in terms of resolution. In every other aspect (speed of the CCD, imaging algorithms, interchangeable lenses, size) it offers technology that has no alternative. If there were competitors with the same feature set it would be a whole different story, but for people who want the specific features it delivers, it is unique. Uniqueness is expensive.

I'm sure it has no peer (for obvious reasons, egads, the price again.) but resolution is what drives the digicam market. You can try and out the best lense possible on there, but it simply won't hold up when you try to print anything larger than a 5x7. And there won't be enough details in the picture even for high quality web based images due to the lack of original resolution.

Again, we would not be arguing this point if it were headphones. $4000 headphones with tiny low end drivers from $10 headphones. No matter how well the headband, enclosure, cable, etc. are built and designed, it still cannot make up for inferior innards.

I guess no one will ever know until you actually try the Qualia 016. But I don't live in Japan, and don't plan on a trip in the near future.
Not to say I'm not curious. (of course the 010 is why I'd be hitting the Qualia store.
biggrin.gif
)
-Ed

Apr 22, 2004 at 9:32 PM Post #35 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by gpalmer
While it's probably better to keep the thread on topic, I think this product nicely illustrates the Qualia concept, find a niche you can produce cheaply and then exploit it with high prices. And Wodgy I think your statement "Uniqueness is expensive" could better be phrased as "Buying from a monopoly is expensive."
biggrin.gif

Fortunately, Sony does not have a monopoly over small gadgets and toys. And thankfully they don't have a monopoly over headphones either. I love the diversity of choices we have today.

Well, my wallet doesn't.

-Ed

Apr 22, 2004 at 9:45 PM Post #36 of 59
I can't really tell if the pads fit around the ears like the senns, or push against them. At that price point, one would hope it lets the ears breathe and have 100% utimate comfort. Someone did say though that the pad material is meant to be very good so who knows until they're tried out.

Apr 22, 2004 at 10:08 PM Post #37 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Yes! Sony finally embraces the aftermarket cable market! Perhaps they are paying attention to us! Well, I'm hoping they'll distribute in the US. Till then we have Audiocubes (if they can get some.)

Yeah, if Audiocubes can make them available, I might just take the plunge...

I think they look kind of cool...and I already know my hat size...

tongue.gif

Apr 22, 2004 at 10:29 PM Post #38 of 59
Guys/Gals , I have an awesome Idea ! Whaddia say we all throw some money in the pot, and make them "Community Cans" ? ! We can each send in our head measurements to the fitting guys, then each buy our own head bands and ear pads !(for sanitary reasons of course)

All we'd have to do is decide on a proper amount of time to keep them ! Perhaps a few pairs are in order, to eliminate international shipping.

Oh, and to cover the whole "trust issue", anyone participating would have to submit their CC info to someone, like say...an admin ? Or one of the sponsor company heads...Headroom for instance.

Apr 22, 2004 at 11:39 PM Post #40 of 59
they weigh 200 grams.
icon10.gif

so should I get the Qualia 010, the ATH-L3000G, the MDR-R10, or some other high end headphone this semester? knowing me, my headphone collection will expand, but the direction it will go isn't yet decided. maybe I should get the ATH-L3000G before it is sold out, if it hasn't yet that is.

Apr 22, 2004 at 11:55 PM Post #41 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by ayt999
so should I get the Qualia 010, the ATH-L3000G, the MDR-R10, or some other high end headphone this semester?

Wow, you're building a really nice collection fast!

Apr 23, 2004 at 12:09 AM Post #42 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by ayt999
they weigh 200 grams.
icon10.gif

so should I get the Qualia 010, the ATH-L3000G, the MDR-R10, or some other high end headphone this semester? knowing me, my headphone collection will expand, but the direction it will go isn't yet decided. maybe I should get the ATH-L3000G before it is sold out, if it hasn't yet that is.

Be brave! Be the first Head-fier to own a Qualia 010! Well, have a listen first, so you can make sure it doesn't sound like ass.

-Ed

Apr 23, 2004 at 12:13 AM Post #43 of 59
If the NYT article someone posted yesterday is correct, these will be available in the US through the Manhattan Qualia store. Apparently they'll even take phone orders. So there probably isn't any reason to order from overseas (unless they're cheaper).

Apr 23, 2004 at 12:13 AM Post #44 of 59
Quote:

Well, have a listen first, so you can make sure it doesn't sound like ass.

And just exactly does that sound like? Maybe you can do a review...
tongue.gif

Apr 23, 2004 at 12:23 AM Post #45 of 59
Quote:

Again, we would not be arguing this point if it were headphones. $4000 headphones with tiny low end drivers from $10 headphones. No matter how well the headband, enclosure, cable, etc. are built and designed, it still cannot make up for inferior innards.

But look! You get a headband that doubles as a cheese grater! Isn't that value?
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back