Lots 'O Pics of the New Sony Qualia 010 *not for broadband challenged*
Apr 22, 2004 at 6:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 59

Edwood

1/2 hamster, 1/2 Turkish∙ Blueteething
Well, looks like Sony decided to re-enter the ring for "King of Headphones." These things look like the designers at Sony have been sitting in Herman Miller Aeron chairs alot.

There are two other threads about the Qualia 010 Here and Here.

I decided to post a thread with as many higher res pics of the Qualia 010 I could find. I hope I optimized these enough for even the dial up folks.

Sony_Qualia_010_01.jpg

Sony_Qualia_010_02.jpg

Sony_Qualia_010_03.jpg

Yes, these will give a new meaning to the word "Headphone Hair."

Sony_Qualia_010_04.jpg

Modular? I hope Sony don't charge the same price for the headband as they do for the R10's. I think Sony could've designed a better adjustable head band than the this one. The whole needing three different sizes is just taking the Aeron chair thing too far.

Q010-MDR-R1_02.jpg

Yes! Sony finally embraces the aftermarket cable market! Perhaps they are paying attention to us! Well, I'm hoping they'll distribute in the US. Till then we have Audiocubes (if they can get some.)

Q010-MDR-R1_03.jpg

The "nano" material looks a very similar to the "biocellulose" in the R10's. Are there little nano bots in there? Or it's made by nano bots instead of bacteria?

Q010-MDR-R1_04.jpg

Q010-MDR-R1_01.jpg

Oh, yeah! I'm Sony's bitch.......
biggrin.gif

Who will be the first to buy this? Don't look at me. My fiance is still getting over my R10 purchase.
evil_smiley.gif

-Ed

Apr 22, 2004 at 6:43 AM Post #2 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Modular? I hope Sony don't charge the same price for the headband as they do for the R10's. I think Sony could've designed a better adjustable head band than the this one. The whole needing three different sizes is just taking the Aeron chair thing too far.

you have to go to the qualia store to get these cans apparently. there they have a conceirge who will (if I remember correctly) measure your head and pick the appropriate headband for you. then you get to choose the appropriate cord length for your needs and the color of the earpads. so yes, it is modular but you don't get all that... I guess they think that the buyer is the only one that will wear the cans. so much for comfortable "testing" of the cans at meets if your head isn't the same size as the owner.
tongue.gif

I cannot wait until July to go raid the tokyo sony building and try them on at least. I wonder if they have an MDR-R10 in the same location to do a comparison (I would assume they do, it is a showcase building afterall).

Apr 22, 2004 at 7:09 AM Post #5 of 59
The 3rd photo concludes once and for all my opinion of this new Sony HP: ugly and very very disturbing. And why did they get an old guy to wear that thing? Man, you're old, you can't hear anything past the 5,000 Hz frequency! Now give me those cans so I can sell them on ebay.

I'll put my money on a meridian source thank you very much.

Apr 22, 2004 at 7:09 AM Post #6 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Yes. Bring one back with you too.
evil_smiley.gif

-Ed

I wonder if they will notice me walking out the store with the supposed demo unit I assume they will have. who would put security sensors on a headphone at an "upscale" shop as a Qualia store? but then, I think it is on the 4th floor of the Sony Building so I don't think my getaway will be good and they will get me.
tongue.gif

anyone care to donate to the ayt999 Qualia 010 purchase fund? I'll get it then regardless of its sound quality. otherwise it has to sound very good for me to make a purchase. it will be competing with at least a ATH-L3000, HP-2, and a PS-1 (I need to get an R10 someday) for my main can position so it better be good.

of course, I bought the ATH-L3000 without caring much for its sound quality (audio-technica headphone collector
rolleyes.gif
).
tongue.gif

Apr 22, 2004 at 7:29 AM Post #7 of 59
wow. despite the fact that i probably won't hear these for a while, i'm excited to see sony make another high-end headphone.

does anybody else thing their basic design looks way more grado than any of their previous ones? i'm hoping that this headphone will have better low-end bass extension and less color than the r10.

so bozebuttons, when are you buying a pair?
wink.gif

Apr 22, 2004 at 8:16 AM Post #8 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by grinch
wow. despite the fact that i probably won't hear these for a while, i'm excited to see sony make another high-end headphone.

does anybody else thing their basic design looks way more grado than any of their previous ones? i'm hoping that this headphone will have better low-end bass extension and less color than the r10.

so bozebuttons, when are you buying a pair?
wink.gif

Well, the Qualia 010 obviously has more color.

Red and blue.
biggrin.gif

I still think the headband is ugly. I kinda like the rest, but the overall "look" reminds me of the AKG 401/501.

I'm sure the material and finish is outstanding and will (hopefully) look better in person.

Of course, we'll have to wait on the SQ comparisons to the R10.

-Ed

Apr 22, 2004 at 8:23 AM Post #10 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by TimSchirmer
I would love to hear these. Hell i want to go to the whole Qualia store.

the sony building where the Qualia store is located is a fun place to go in general. I haven't been there in a while so a trip is in order (once i get to japan that is).

Apr 22, 2004 at 8:23 AM Post #11 of 59
Yes, someone please document the field trip!
Lots of pics, please.

This is Sony's first Qualia product of "real" (potential) calibur. The others are a joke. Especially that $200 two MegaPixel Camera with a $4400 briefcase.

-Ed

Apr 22, 2004 at 10:40 AM Post #13 of 59
What do you think about the name "Qualia"?

I guess it might be an abbreviation of "A quality". Quality A, Quali-ty A, QualiA, Qualia.
cool.gif

Apr 22, 2004 at 11:19 AM Post #15 of 59

Users who are viewing this thread

Back