Lotoo PAW S2 USB DAC AMP 150 mW@32 ohm 4.4 , MQA - New Firmware released 26 January 2.0.0.5 link added first post.
Jan 6, 2022 at 8:08 PM Post #286 of 443
None of my Lightning to USB-C cables will pass a signal from the S2, so I'm waiting for the Lotoo cable. Anyone find any other OTG cables that will work?
JML

For me so far only the Lotoo Cable and using the DD-Hifi TC28i (Lightning to USB-C) adapter work.
When needed and I use the DD-Hifi adapter ANY USB-C to USB-C OTG cable I have handy works with the S2

I've got a number of Lightning to USB-C cables that work for other devices but are intermittent to does not work with both the S1 and S2.
Hope this info helps

Jan 6, 2022 at 8:46 PM Post #287 of 443
None of my Lightning to USB-C cables will pass a signal from the S2, so I'm waiting for the Lotoo cable. Anyone find any other OTG cables that will work?

Lotoo v2 lightning to usb-c works perfectly with S2. And so does cables from DDHifi, OE Audio, and optional Cayin cable. But since you got S2, stick with Lotoo and get yourself their updated cable.

Jan 6, 2022 at 9:10 PM Post #288 of 443
Hello all,

I’ve been using an iPhone with my Lotoo PAW S2 dangle and deploying a variety of tricks to get better and better sound from my Plunge Audio Universal Planar IEM (independently powering the Lotoo with its in own battery, adding the Oriolus BA300S tube output stage).

I’ve been very happy with the results, but, like NJoyzAudio and JML, I keep breaking the data conductors in my Lightning to USB-C cables. In three or four months I’ve broken three Lotoo cables (2 long and 1 short), one ddHIFI, one Penon, one Woo Audio, and five Meernova from Amazon (this is a collection of some of the cables I’ve broken).

I’ve had the best luck with the Woo and the Meernova’s from Amazon, but even they only last weeks. With experience, I’ve learned to minimize cable movement, and that’s helped, but I still have to unplug the lightening connector to charge my phone.

I’m thinking of buying a DAP just to avoid this problem. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Thermist

Attachments

• 96F20CB1-B47A-4830-89DB-D8E5EC952E48.jpeg
    96F20CB1-B47A-4830-89DB-D8E5EC952E48.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Jan 12, 2022 at 12:05 PM Post #289 of 443
The S2 (using the Lotoo Lightning-to-USB-C cable) sounds just wonderful with my FiiO FD5 (copper FiiO cable, noted below and in this thread, which tames the highs of the FD5), listening to Qobuz from my iPhone. I have the FiiO OTG cable and DD-HiFi adapter coming this week, as "insurance" or backup. Thanks to this thread noting the "beep" problems with 2.0.0.4, I updated the firmware only to 2.0.0.3. Hopefully Lotoo will come out quickly with 2.0.0.5 to fix the problem.

The short Lotoo USB-C to USB-C seems to be directional when connected to my MacBook (I did not try the long one). I tested several USB-C 3.2 and Thunderbolt 3 cables I had on hand and found three others that work fine, and one other USB-C cable (not 3.2) that didn't. When I use my MacBook or iPad, I want to use a cable that is mid-way between the lengths of the two supplied Lotoo cables (I also found some short and mid-length - .45 ft and .72 ft - flat and very strong USB-C 3.2 cables on Amazon that work fine).

It would be nice if Lotoo made a longer Lightning to USB-C OTG cable, but hopefully the DD-HiFi adapter will work fine when I need a longer cable for my iPhone than the short one they supply. And I worry about the life of the existing cable, given how thin it is.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2022 at 9:31 AM Post #290 of 443
30% in 1 hour seems a bit much to me, but I have not kept time with my S2.

I don't know if low gain saves battery, but I'd give it a try. Also because of sound quality :wink: A firmware update might be of help, although I have not checked the relase notes.

Mind that I have this beep issue with 96kHz streaming from Quobuz. This is reproducible with my S2 (with UAPP on Android and Roon on Windows) but I have not heard of others having this issue. I think it came with 2.0.0.4 update, but it might have been there before and I just did not listen to any 96 kHz Quobuz content in the short time I had the older firmware installed.
Hallo,

I also updated to firmware 2.0.0.4 and have the beep issue now as well. This was not there with the old firmware for sure, because I am having the issue with files which I played bevor the update.

You have to unplug the S2 to stop the beeping, no puse/FF/RW helps.

These are locally stored files with 96Khz playing via UAPP on a Samsung M51 mobile phone.

This is very disappointing, I have no 3.5mm jack cables to listen directly through the phone, only 4.4 pentacon balanced cables on my iem and headphone.
I can literally not listen on shuffle or to my 96KHz files any more.

I hope that lotoo is aware of the problem and will bring a firmware update very soon.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2022 at 1:06 PM Post #291 of 443
Has anyone found a nice small protective case in which to carry the S2 and a pair of cables? There are silicon cases for the S1, but they're made for three buttons and not four.

Until a form-fitting silicone case is available, I'd love to find a small hard-shell ballistic-nylon case that can fit the S2 and a pair of cables.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2022 at 6:36 PM Post #293 of 443
Hallo,

I also updated to firmware 2.0.0.4 and have the beep issue now as well. This was not there with the old firmware for sure, because I am having the issue with files which I played bevor the update.

You have to unplug the S2 to stop the beeping, no puse/FF/RW helps.

These are locally stored files with 96Khz playing via UAPP on a Samsung M51 mobile phone.

This is very disappointing, I have no 3.5mm jack cables to listen directly through the phone, only 4.4 pentacon balanced cables on my iem and headphone.
I can literally not listen on shuffle or to my 96KHz files any more.

I hope that lotoo is aware of the problem and will bring a firmware update very soon.
I experienced this issue for the first time this morning, streaming 96kHz Apple Music files. Very unpleasant - I hope there’s a FW fix in the works.

Jan 21, 2022 at 8:24 AM Post #294 of 443
The FiiO OTG cable and DD-HiFi adapter work fine, but they have a larger/wider section around the Lightning plug, so they may not fit on an iPhone with a case. The Lotoo cable at the Lightning end is smaller and it fits fine in the opening on my Pitaka MagEZ Case Pro carbon fiber case; the FiiO is an extremely tight fit, and the DD-HiFi won't fit at all in the case's opening.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2022 at 1:00 PM Post #295 of 443
THis is a long time for a firmware bug and a Loto device. I haven’t updated the firmware on my lotoo so I can wait until we confirm there is no problem on a new firware.

Jan 21, 2022 at 1:06 PM Post #296 of 443
THis is a long time for a firmware bug and a Loto device. I haven’t updated the firmware on my lotoo so I can wait until we confirm there is no problem on a new firware.

Are you talking about 96k apple music files? I think any day now, but also keep in mind, CNY around the corner which could delay things.

Jan 21, 2022 at 1:10 PM Post #297 of 443
Yup - that's the bug. I think it's with all 96kHz music and not just Apple Music based on this:
Post #270 of 296

Jan 26, 2022 at 5:07 AM Post #300 of 443
Does the Play/Pause button work for anyone?

I have tried multiple firmware versions (v2.0.0.4, v2.0.0.5) on multiple devices (Windows 11 PC, OnePlus 6 Android 11 Phone) all through Tidal (latest updated version on both Phone and PC with exclusive mode granted) but the Play/Pause button never does anything.

Everything else seems to work flawlessly so far - bit perfect playback, mqa, volume control, exclusive mode, etc. just the Play/Pause button isn't working...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back