Lotoo PAW S2 USB DAC AMP 150 mW@32 ohm 4.4 , MQA - New Firmware released 26 January 2.0.0.5 link added first post.
Dec 5, 2021 at 7:20 PM Post #211 of 443
Thanks, I also bought one but the box says paw S1 cable so not sure if I got the wrong one in error:

Attachments

• F332F3D6-9CAE-4898-86D7-602F2F461805.jpeg
    F332F3D6-9CAE-4898-86D7-602F2F461805.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 077F2EED-F760-445C-AE89-F20D52EF1689.jpeg
    077F2EED-F760-445C-AE89-F20D52EF1689.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Dec 5, 2021 at 8:25 PM Post #213 of 443
Thanks, I also bought one but the box says paw S1 cable so not sure if I got the wrong one in error:

This is an updated cable which you can call v2. The original one had a braided sleeve and a solid strain relief boot at the tail of the connector. Don't think the new one has a choke, more like a different strain relief. But, the new cable has higher quality wires and better shielding and reassures 5V to the device when connected to iPhone/iPod Touch.

Dec 6, 2021 at 8:58 AM Post #215 of 443
This is an updated cable which you can call v2. The original one had a braided sleeve and a solid strain relief boot at the tail of the connector. Don't think the new one has a choke, more like a different strain relief. But, the new cable has higher quality wires and better shielding and reassures 5V to the device when connected to iPhone/iPod Touch.
Both of those looked solid to me, but unfortunately failed after couple of weeks of use. And I'm sure they didn't get that much abuse in terms of bending of the cable. It felt more of the lightning connector contacts issue, so yeah - I'm not putting my trust in those any longer. Fiio's more cheaper counterpart LT-LT1 however has worked without any issues so far.

Dec 6, 2021 at 9:03 AM Post #216 of 443
Both of those looked solid to me, but unfortunately failed after couple of weeks of use. And I'm sure they didn't get that much abuse in terms of bending of the cable. It felt more of the lightning connector contacts issue, so yeah - I'm not putting my trust in those any longer. Fiio's more cheaper counterpart LT-LT1 however has worked without any issues so far.
Finding a little bit of distortion even at not too high volumes (mid 60s, low gain). Distortion is not there on the PEE51, for example. Trying hard, but can't quite love the S2...

Dec 6, 2021 at 9:50 AM Post #217 of 443
Finding a little bit of distortion even at not too high volumes (mid 60s, low gain). Distortion is not there on the PEE51, for example. Trying hard, but can't quite love the S2...

What IEMs are you using? and your source (iphone, android, dap)?

Dec 6, 2021 at 10:02 AM Post #219 of 443
Did anyone have a chance to compare S2 with DX300 and (less likely) RU6 or RS6?

After staying with W2 (S1 is collecting the first since I bought W2) for half a year a have this itch again, mainly because of:
- constantly failing USB cables (could only be solved with DAP)
- high power drain (same, though S2 seems to be less hungry than W2)
- lack of physical FF/rewind/pause buttons (big win for S2)
- search for better, more solid and natural timbre with mellower yet detailed mids (could be addressed by RU6/S2 as well, also looking at RS6)
- desire to have more juice (currently listening at 60-75 volume high gain on W2 which is pushing its limits a bit too much and prevents me from buying planars like A2C).

DX300 and probably RS6 tick all the boxes though I'm a bit tight on budget and not actually ready to spend over $1k on this hobby again, so S2 could be a good compromise here.

Per the same question you mirrored in W2 thread, as of now no other higher-end usb-dac dongle has play/pause/skip remote playback control. Hiby FD1 does have it, but it is not in the same category as S2/W2/RU6. With a cable, if you are not having luck with Lotoo cables, try DDHifi or OE Audio.

Dec 6, 2021 at 11:00 AM Post #220 of 443
Westone W80s, Samsung S20, Qobuz through UAPP.

Just tested W80 with S2, UAPP (and other apps) and my old Galaxy S9. In low gain, 3.5mm output, volume over 37 blasts my ears. In UAPP I have bit prefect enabled and USB volume control set to hardware volume control. W80 has average sensitivity and very low 5ohm impedance. Make sure your S20 is set to max volume and control the volume from S2. If you are pushing W80 from 3.5mm SE output with a volume in mid 60s, you will distort it, it is too high. If you have set S20 digital volume very low and overcompensating it with higher S2 volume, it could also cause the distortion.

Dec 6, 2021 at 11:08 AM Post #221 of 443
Just tested W80 with S2, UAPP (and other apps) and my old Galaxy S9. In low gain, 3.5mm output, volume over 37 blasts my ears. In UAPP I have bit prefect enabled and USB volume control set to hardware volume control. W80 has average sensitivity and very low 5ohm impedance. Make sure your S20 is set to max volume and control the volume from S2. If you are pushing W80 from 3.5mm SE output with a volume in mid 60s, you will distort it, it is too high. If you have set S20 digital volume very low and overcompensating it with higher S2 volume, it could also cause the distortion.
Mmm - interesting. When UAPP is up and running the volume on my S20 is completely disabled - nothing happens when I try to change it, and using the S20 rocker doesn't do anything at all. I can only change volume using the physical keys on the S2, so I'm guessing that the S20 volume is not part of the chain...?? Trid changing from hardward to software control in UAPP and nothing changes.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2021 at 11:13 AM Post #222 of 443
Mmm - interesting. When UAPP is up and running the volume on my S20 is completely disabled - nothing happens when I try to change it, and using the S20 rocker doesn't do anything at all. I can only change volume using the physical keys on the S2, so I'm guessing that the S20 volume is not part of the chain...??

That's good, it means that UAPP sets S20 volume to the max by default, that's how you want it to be. Now, with that volume in mid 60s, do you usually listen to music at a very high volume?

Dec 6, 2021 at 11:15 AM Post #223 of 443
That's good, it means that UAPP sets S20 volume to the max by default, that's how you want it to be. Now, with that volume in mid 60s, do you usually listen to music at a very high volume?
Not really - mostly pretty mellow stuff. It's track dependent. Some tracks are fine in the 40s/50s, others need more welly and can be in the 60s or even low 70s.

Dec 6, 2021 at 11:25 AM Post #224 of 443
Not really - mostly pretty mellow stuff. It's track dependent. Some tracks are fine in the 40s/50s, others need more welly and can be in the 60s or even low 70s.

Out of curiosity and probably something I should have asked before so we are on the same page, do you mind sharing a link to a track where you hear the distortion and you are running at higher volume? You can also drop me a PM with that info, if you feel more comfortable.

Dec 6, 2021 at 11:33 AM Post #225 of 443
Out of curiosity and probably something I should have asked before so we are on the same page, do you mind sharing a link to a track where you hear the distortion and you are running at higher volume? You can also drop me a PM with that info, if you feel more comfortable.
Sure. It happens a fair bit between 12 and 14 minutes on Pink Floyd's Echoes (192 version on Qobuz). It's a relatively squawky avant garde section. Distorts on S2, but not on Pee51. Maybe I just had it too loud...? Certainly less obvious at around 50 on the volume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back