Lotoo PAW S1 USB Dac/Amp Impressions Thread
May 23, 2020 at 2:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

HiFlight

Headphoneus Supremus
I have been eagerly awaiting the availability of the PAW S1 since first reading about its upcoming launch. I placed my order as soon as I received notification from MusicTeck that it was currently shipping.

I received the S1 yesterday and found upon unboxing that the build quality was absolutely flawless and conveyed the impression of a truly TOTL device. Of course all such impressions would be for naught if the performance was found to be lacking.

Although there is a multi-language user manual enclosed, the S1 proved to be very intuitive to use. There is a function button that allows one to toggle between Homepage which displays volume, usb info, and dsp settings, EFX presets ( of which there are 17 ) and Gain ( Low & High ). All settings are clearly indicated on the small display screen.

I spent the remainder of the day listening to the S1 while connecting to my various Android devices and earphones and scrolling through the EFX presets. My initial impressions are that the sound is lifelike with superb dynamics and tonality. Instrumental and vocal timbre is outstanding. Presets are very well-done and should allow for customization and tweaking for any combination of genre and phone preferences. There is not a user selectable profile nor individual adjustment of bass or treble. Perhaps these could be addressed in a future firmware update.

When visiting the Lotoo Facebook page, I found that there was already a firmware update available. I downloaded the file, copied it to my PC ( required ) and the update accomplished successfully in less than 3 minutes!

In comparison to my other USB dongles and Dac/Amps, I can state unequivocally that the S1
currently ranks at the top, providing desktop reference performance in a flashdrive-sized package!

Further information can be found in the link below.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/category/Electronics/lotoopaw/posts/

May 23, 2020 at 2:12 PM Post #2 of 20
Reserved for future updates.

May 23, 2020 at 2:56 PM Post #4 of 20
Jun 17, 2020 at 11:08 AM Post #5 of 20
My Lotoo Paw S1
103508672_2914059685378791_3311597234682437895_o.jpg

Jul 10, 2020 at 11:42 PM Post #8 of 20
George, your reviews are quirky but authentic! I feel like I'm watching a friend of mine and not a reviewer. I also find the audio descriptions easy to digest and mostly agree with your overall sentiments about SQ.

Keep doing you, brother!

Jul 19, 2020 at 5:50 PM Post #9 of 20
@Dobrescu George Thanks for great review. You say it drives hard-to-drive headphones.

Do you think it would drive 14ohm 93db IEMs? (Final E5000). They seem to be notoriously hard to drive and I'm looking for a portable source/amp. Sony NW-A45 claims 35mm at 16ohm, the Lotoo PAW S1 is 80 at 32ohm, which is similar amperage on paper. I'm not sure what that translates to in real life.

So just wondering if you think The PAW S1 could drive 14ohm 93db IEMs. Thanks.

Jul 19, 2020 at 9:37 PM Post #10 of 20
@Dobrescu George Thanks for great review. You say it drives hard-to-drive headphones.

Do you think it would drive 14ohm 93db IEMs? (Final E5000). They seem to be notoriously hard to drive and I'm looking for a portable source/amp. Sony NW-A45 claims 35mm at 16ohm, the Lotoo PAW S1 is 80 at 32ohm, which is similar amperage on paper. I'm not sure what that translates to in real life.

I have been using the E5000 with the Paw S1 this whole week, single ended 3.5mm cable on high gain mode, sounds great to me. It does require pushing the volume up to volume setting ~40 on high gain, whereas anything else I use on high gain has the volume set to ~20. So it does take a lot of power, but I think it gets the job done. I'm getting a balanced mmcx cable in the mail tomorrow to try the E5000 with the balanced output, I suspect it will be at a much lower volume setting for normal listening levels compared to the single ended.

Jul 19, 2020 at 9:59 PM Post #11 of 20
I have been using the E5000 with the Paw S1 this whole week, single ended 3.5mm cable on high gain mode, sounds great to me. It does require pushing the volume up to volume setting ~40 on high gain, whereas anything else I use on high gain has the volume set to ~20. So it does take a lot of power, but I think it gets the job done. I'm getting a balanced mmcx cable in the mail tomorrow to try the E5000 with the balanced output, I suspect it will be at a much lower volume setting for normal listening levels compared to the single ended.

Exactly what I wanted to know! If you don't mind I'd love to known if you hear any difference between the single ended and the balanced cable when it arrives tomorrow.

Still trying to decide if I want to get a Lotoo PAW S1 for the E5000s or return the E5000s, get a pair of N3s or Blessing 2s, and just use a single Sony Walkman A45/A55/A105

Jul 19, 2020 at 10:11 PM Post #12 of 20
Exactly what I wanted to know! If you don't mind I'd love to known if you hear any difference between the single ended and the balanced cable when it arrives tomorrow.

Still trying to decide if I want to get a Lotoo PAW S1 for the E5000s or return the E5000s, get a pair of N3s or Blessing 2s, and just use a single Sony Walkman A45/A55/A105
Sure thing, I'll let you know

Jul 20, 2020 at 9:51 PM Post #13 of 20

I also have E5000, and indeed they are REALLY HARD TO DRIVE!

They go as loud as 1/4 - 1/3 the volume of the Burson Play.

Lotoo PAW S1 is more than enough for them though, both in terms of control and actual volume, so the pairing shoudl work nicely, also S1 is really great, so you will keep it even after you upgrade the IEMs

Jul 21, 2020 at 5:32 PM Post #15 of 20
@jibberish Hi. Did you get a chance to try out the balanced cable? Did the sound change much? I’m curious because it looks like the balanced output is about 50% more powerful than the single ended output.
I did just get a chance to do so. Honestly at the same relative volume levels I didn't really detect any notable sound changes between single ended and balanced with the E5000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back