Lotoo PAW S1 - Designed for HIFI on the go with Lotoo PAW quality and the first USB DAC-AMP with dual 3.5mm & 4.4mm output
Oct 29, 2021 at 2:16 PM Post #2,221 of 2,329
Does the new FW change the attenuation at 12kHz and above? I think it is important for consumers to know. - absolutely Lotoo has every right to exercise their creativity in the Implemenation of their product, but similarly consumers have a right to know.

FWIW - and it might not be worth much - my opinion is they should have made the 12kHz and above attenuation a tuning option for the consumer, an EQ preset. But that is just my opinion. I have the S1 but think I will pass on the S2 and stick with the L&P line of dongles for now, but look forward to Lotoo addressing this in which case I will reconsider. My purchase decisions are inconsequential to Lotoo, and I am not saying this to take some sort of stand, just a personal choice…!

I wasn't aware of 12k being an issue until it was brought up in W2 thread lol!!! Once you put a thought into someone's head, it is hard to get it out :D To me, S1 and now S2 always had a smoother and more natural tonality, and apparently it is due to their tuning of keeping upper frequencies above 12k more attenuated down to give treble a more organic extension. Sounds to me like a signature tuning, like some other DAPs or IEMs tuning. S1 is similar to S2 in that regard. If you want brighter treble, go for W2.

Oct 29, 2021 at 5:10 PM Post #2,223 of 2,329
Does anyone playing on ps5 with paw s1? I tried and it’s good.

One of the reasons I chose the S1 over the W2 was its ability to be used with my Switch. I haven’t tried it yet, but based on how good the S1 sounds to my ears, I anticipate it being good as well.

Oct 29, 2021 at 5:24 PM Post #2,224 of 2,329
I wasn't aware of 12k being an issue until it was brought up in W2 thread lol!!! Once you put a thought into someone's head, it is hard to get it out :D To me, S1 and now S2 always had a smoother and more natural tonality, and apparently it is due to their tuning of keeping upper frequencies above 12k more attenuated down to give treble a more organic extension. Sounds to me like a signature tuning, like some other DAPs or IEMs tuning. S1 is similar to S2 in that regard. If you want brighter treble, go for W2.
Makes sense! Like I mentioned, my position on this is purely my own - I would prefer the option to attenuate the frequencies if I want. I do like the sound of the S1, so this is more of a personal decision based on wanting to be able to make significant choices on my own :)

Oct 30, 2021 at 1:24 AM Post #2,225 of 2,329
Since there is a firmware update for the S1 coming, I hope Lotoo changes the sound filters to more usable ones. I find the current set to be way too strong for my taste.

Oct 30, 2021 at 8:29 AM Post #2,226 of 2,329
Since there is a firmware update for the S1 coming, I hope Lotoo changes the sound filters to more usable ones. I find the current set to be way too strong for my taste.

Those are presets carried over from LPGT and PAW6000, regardless of their usability :D

Nov 2, 2021 at 11:20 AM Post #2,227 of 2,329
Hi!

I have a small problem that I cannot understand when I listen to music with Amazon Music HD on my macbook pro with Big Sur and the Lotoo Paw S1.
When I listen to a 24bit / 192kHz ULTRA HD song, it appears on the music quality screen of the Amazon Music app:

Song quality: 24bit / 192kHz
Device capacity: 24bit / 44.1KHz
Currently playing: 16bit / 44.1KHz
Codec: FLAC

This problem does not occur when I listen to music with the Amazon Music HD (IOS app) on my Iphone or Ipad, only with my macbook.
Any suggestion?
Thanks and greetings from Spain

Nov 2, 2021 at 11:34 AM Post #2,228 of 2,329
Hi!

I have a small problem that I cannot understand when I listen to music with Amazon Music HD on my macbook pro with Big Sur and the Lotoo Paw S1.
When I listen to a 24bit / 192kHz ULTRA HD song, it appears on the music quality screen of the Amazon Music app:

Song quality: 24bit / 192kHz
Device capacity: 24bit / 44.1KHz
Currently playing: 16bit / 44.1KHz
Codec: FLAC

This problem does not occur when I listen to music with the Amazon Music HD (IOS app) on my Iphone or Ipad, only with my macbook.
Any suggestion?
Thanks and greetings from Spain
I am guessing your macbook MIDI settings are set to 16/44. It has been awhile since I paid attention to this, as I have a mac mini and use JRiver which does control bit/sample rate changes per the source, but I am guessing the macbook won't be controlled by the Amazon app, so you'd have to change your MIDI settings to 24/192, then anything less than that will be upsampled. That or manually change it on the fly to match your source. This is what Amazon notes:
Which Mac devices support HD?
Any Mac from 2013 or later supports HD/Ultra HD. However, adjusting the default Mac audio settings is required to listen in the highest quality:
1. Go to Applications/Utilities folder
2. Open “Audio MIDI Setup.app”
3. Update speaker or headphone “Format” setting to the highest sample rate for 24-bit (96 kHz or 192 kHz)

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2021 at 12:01 PM Post #2,229 of 2,329
New FW on Lotoo website! Bit-perfect in Tidal app works perfectly :thumbsup:

Nov 2, 2021 at 12:42 PM Post #2,231 of 2,329
Nov 2, 2021 at 1:56 PM Post #2,232 of 2,329
I am guessing your macbook MIDI settings are set to 16/44. It has been awhile since I paid attention to this, as I have a mac mini and use JRiver which does control bit/sample rate changes per the source, but I am guessing the macbook won't be controlled by the Amazon app, so you'd have to change your MIDI settings to 24/192, then anything less than that will be upsampled. That or manually change it on the fly to match your source. This is what Amazon notes:
Which Mac devices support HD?
Any Mac from 2013 or later supports HD/Ultra HD. However, adjusting the default Mac audio settings is required to listen in the highest quality:
1. Go to Applications/Utilities folder
2. Open “Audio MIDI Setup.app”
3. Update speaker or headphone “Format” setting to the highest sample rate for 24-bit (96 kHz or 192 kHz)
Thanks 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

Nov 2, 2021 at 7:45 PM Post #2,233 of 2,329
Thanks for the link!

In my case, I have successfully updated with the new firmware to version 1.0.0.111.0.0.11 and with the Tidal app on the macbook pro, now it appears on the screen MQA / 4x and not OFS / 4x when I listen to a song MASTER ... but in the Tidal app of my iphone 13 pro, OFS / 4x appears and I also have micro-cuts of the song. Before the firmware update this did not happen. With the MConnect app it works perfectly, without cuts, and decodes the song well in MQA. I have the Lotoo USB-C to Lightning cable.
With my Ipad pro (USB-C) I have no microcuts but I still get OFS / 4x when I listen to a MASTER song and not MQA with Tidal app.
As for the simple rate, it appears the correct one in each song but not the bit depth normally puts the songs at 32bits even if they are at 16bits
Does the same thing happen to any of you?

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2021 at 12:43 PM Post #2,235 of 2,329
Thanks for the link!

In my case, I have successfully updated with the new firmware to version 1.0.0.111.0.0.11 and with the Tidal app on the macbook pro, now it appears on the screen MQA / 4x and not OFS / 4x when I listen to a song MASTER ... but in the Tidal app of my iphone 13 pro, OFS / 4x appears and I also have micro-cuts of the song. Before the firmware update this did not happen. With the MConnect app it works perfectly, without cuts, and decodes the song well in MQA. I have the Lotoo USB-C to Lightning cable.
With my Ipad pro (USB-C) I have no microcuts but I still get OFS / 4x when I listen to a MASTER song and not MQA with Tidal app.
As for the simple rate, it appears the correct one in each song but not the bit depth normally puts the songs at 32bits even if they are at 16bits
Does the same thing happen to any of you?

I believe the DAC used is a 32 bit design, so everything gets processed as 32 bit. This actually has no bearing on the sound since the digital signal is just padded with zeros above 24 bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back