Lotoo PAW S1 - Designed for HIFI on the go with Lotoo PAW quality and the first USB DAC-AMP with dual 3.5mm & 4.4mm output
Mar 19, 2021 at 11:34 PM Post #1,847 of 2,329
Lotoo PAW S1 isn't playing well with my 2012 MacBook Pro (running Mojave). When I try playing back using the Lotoo USB-A adapter my Mac doesn't seem to recognize the PAW S1 at all, and the music just outputs to the laptop speakers. Is my Mac too old? or am I missing something else?
Probably the cable you are using. Try to borrow other people's Mac OTG cable to test.

Mar 20, 2021 at 8:17 AM Post #1,848 of 2,329
I doubt that's the case. The adapter and cable are brand new genuine Lotoo parts. I used the same adapter and cable to update the firmware on the PAW S1 and it worked fine. But when it's in normal mode, it doesn't show up as a selectable device in System Preferences>Sound>Output.

Mar 20, 2021 at 9:20 AM Post #1,849 of 2,329
I happen to have both of them (and paw 6000 as well). What specifically do you want to know about?

I think the LPGT is hands down one of the best purchases I have ever made. Very smooth and clean user interface (much better than Android-based systems in my mind). Powerful enough to fully drive the Sony IER-Z1R. If you already have a decent music collection (in SD cards), I think LPGT is the best option in the market right now.

I think the S1 is more for casual uses especially with streaming services. It can drive most headphones pretty efficiently. In terms of sound, the LPGT is a step up in many aspects, but it is also substantially more expensive. I think the difference between S1 and LPGT is most salient when you have IEMs that really require power to drive. You will really get to appreciate the IEM with the LPGT.

Ultimately for the usability, the S1 and LPGT are very different products. The LPGT is an standalone music player while the S1 is not. The S1 is more targeted to be used with streaming services. The usb-dac function in the LPGT is also great, but sometimes when I just want to listen to Spotify on my computer, I will plug in the S1 and start listening right away.
How do you like your PAW 6000. I just purchased mine but im trying to get the best closed back headphones and\or IEM to pair it with. Currently I have the ATH-MSR7b closed back headphones and they sound ok but i would like more power and clarity. Ialso have the RHA IEM T20i they sound great!! but now it sounds like the plug maybe having a short issue. Any recommndations is appreciated. Thx

Mar 20, 2021 at 10:12 AM Post #1,850 of 2,329
I doubt that's the case. The adapter and cable are brand new genuine Lotoo parts. I used the same adapter and cable to update the firmware on the PAW S1 and it worked fine. But when it's in normal mode, it doesn't show up as a selectable device in System Preferences>Sound>Output.
The USB Adapter or the Lightning cable?

"Android / iOS / iPad OS / Windows support
Android and iOS connections are instant with the USB-C and Lightning cable (separate purchase needed) and you will need to make sure your phone supports USB audio output. I recommend using the UAPP app on android for their USB driver support. For Windows users, the driver will be installed automatically and MacBook connection works right away too."

https://headfonics.com/lotoo-paw-s1-review/

Mar 20, 2021 at 10:23 AM Post #1,851 of 2,329
The USB Adapter or the Lightning cable?

"Android / iOS / iPad OS / Windows support
Android and iOS connections are instant with the USB-C and Lightning cable (separate purchase needed) and you will need to make sure your phone supports USB audio output. I recommend using the UAPP app on android for their USB driver support. For Windows users, the driver will be installed automatically and MacBook connection works right away too."

https://headfonics.com/lotoo-paw-s1-review/
Helpful, thanks. Just to be ultra clear, my connection goes: PAW S1>Lotoo USB-C to USB-C cable>Lotoo USB-C to USB-A adapter>MacBook Pro. I've tried rebooting, resetting the NVRAM and the PAW S1 still isn't showing up as a selectable device in System Preferences>Sound>Output.

Mar 20, 2021 at 11:37 AM Post #1,852 of 2,329
Helpful, thanks. Just to be ultra clear, my connection goes: PAW S1>Lotoo USB-C to USB-C cable>Lotoo USB-C to USB-A adapter>MacBook Pro. I've tried rebooting, resetting the NVRAM and the PAW S1 still isn't showing up as a selectable device in System Preferences>Sound>Output.
Well this most likely cable compatibility issue as known not all OTG cable compatible with PAW S1. Try to get USB3 to USB-C cable.
"I’ve tested this PAW S1 with a couple other Type-C cables, and those results are a tad hit-or-miss. The ultra-long charging cable that I use with my MacBook does get this device to work, but it disconnects intermittently; presumably, because of a lack of power. The USB 3.0 to Type-C cable that comes with the PAW Gold Touch works perfectly fine. So, I’d personally recommend using the cables Lotoo provides for the best results. Though, in a pinch, most standard cables can work too."

https://theheadphonelist.com/lotoo-paw-s1-the-swiss-army-a-usb-dac-amp-review/

Mar 20, 2021 at 11:38 AM Post #1,853 of 2,329
How do you like your PAW 6000. I just purchased mine but im trying to get the best closed back headphones and\or IEM to pair it with. Currently I have the ATH-MSR7b closed back headphones and they sound ok but i would like more power and clarity. Ialso have the RHA IEM T20i they sound great!! but now it sounds like the plug maybe having a short issue. Any recommndations is appreciated. Thx
I mostly used the PAW6000 with IEMs. Same as you, I really like its clarity sound, but found it a bit underpowered for full-size headphones.

If desired, check out some external amps to be added to the 6K, such as Romi BX2 or Cayin C9.

Mar 20, 2021 at 11:50 AM Post #1,854 of 2,329
Well this most likely cable compatibility issue as known not all OTG cable compatible with PAW S1. Try to get USB3 to USB-C cable.
"I’ve tested this PAW S1 with a couple other Type-C cables, and those results are a tad hit-or-miss. The ultra-long charging cable that I use with my MacBook does get this device to work, but it disconnects intermittently; presumably, because of a lack of power. The USB 3.0 to Type-C cable that comes with the PAW Gold Touch works perfectly fine. So, I’d personally recommend using the cables Lotoo provides for the best results. Though, in a pinch, most standard cables can work too."

https://theheadphonelist.com/lotoo-paw-s1-the-swiss-army-a-usb-dac-amp-review/
Thanks. I doubt it's a cable issue as I had no trouble mounting the PAW S1 on my desktop using the same cable/adapter combination to upgrade the firmware on the PAW S1. So the Lotoo USB-C to USB-C cable and USB-A to USB-C adapter combination do allow communication between the PAW S1 and the MacBook Pro.

Mar 20, 2021 at 11:58 AM Post #1,855 of 2,329
Thanks. I doubt it's a cable issue as I had no trouble mounting the PAW S1 on my desktop using the same cable/adapter combination to upgrade the firmware on the PAW S1. So the Lotoo USB-C to USB-C cable and USB-A to USB-C adapter combination do allow communication between the PAW S1 and the MacBook Pro.
Well better send an e-mail to Apple Support as other member that using Mac Book can use their Lotoo PAW S1.

Mar 21, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #1,857 of 2,329
I mostly used the PAW6000 with IEMs. Same as you, I really like its clarity sound, but found it a bit underpowered for full-size headphones.

If desired, check out some external amps to be added to the 6K, such as Romi BX2 or Cayin C9.
Ok Thx yeah I was looking for a good DAP to where i would not have to stack an additional amp on top to get great sound. But I hooked up my Fiio A3 and it sounds waaaay better but i again i was hoping to not to have to do that thats part of the reason why i splurged and got this PAW 6000. I was hoping to be able to toss just the PAW 6000 player in my pocket when traveling instead of a bulky amp attached but oh well!!! Guess ill continue my searh for a low impedance headphoness that sound great that the PAW 6000 can drive well. Any suggestions is welcomed. Just an added note by no means am i an audiphile im just posing as one lol. Thx

Mar 21, 2021 at 4:32 PM Post #1,858 of 2,329
I
Ok Thx yeah I was looking for a good DAP to where i would not have to stack an additional amp on top to get great sound. But I hooked up my Fiio A3 and it sounds waaaay better but i again i was hoping to not to have to do that thats part of the reason why i splurged and got this PAW 6000. I was hoping to be able to toss just the PAW 6000 player in my pocket when traveling instead of a bulky amp attached but oh well!!! Guess ill continue my searh for a low impedance headphoness that sound great that the PAW 6000 can drive well. Any suggestions is welcomed. Just an added note by no means am i an audiphile im just posing as one lol. Th
I think the iBasso DX300 had tons of power at a similar price point. Might worth checking it out.

Edit: figured that you are asking for a headphone, sorry. Maybe the iBasso SR25?

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2021 at 9:53 AM Post #1,859 of 2,329
Good day.

My current setup is Apple USB-C dongle + Blon Bl 03. I recently purchased a FIIO FH3 and while waiting for it to arrive, I was looking for a DAC-AMP and stumbled upon this thread. I'm planning to use my new IEM on my laptop and Tidal as my music streaming platform. Would the Lotoo Paw S1 be a good pairing with the FIIO FH3?

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2021 at 1:30 PM Post #1,860 of 2,329
I

I think the iBasso DX300 had tons of power at a similar price point. Might worth checking it out.

Edit: figured that you are asking for a headphone, sorry. Maybe the iBasso SR25?
Yeah I was more looking for recommendations for a pair of good closed back headphones that the PAW 6000 can drive well to give me good sound w/o the need for an external amp.
Also sorry for the questions but i just joined this site. what do i have to do to be able to post my own thread topics and questions ?? Thx

Users who are viewing this thread

Back