Lotoo PAW S1 - Designed for HIFI on the go with Lotoo PAW quality and the first USB DAC-AMP with dual 3.5mm & 4.4mm output
Mar 17, 2021 at 9:33 AM Post #1,831 of 2,329
The more I use Lotoo PAW S1, the more I like it. There's definitely different between S1 with ifi Hip DAC and Zen DAC due to different DAC chip but all of them have good SQ. It's so easy to drive my 1more H1707 (unbalanced) and Hifiman HE400SE (balanced) with details and clarity.
With iFi Hip DAC you have to worry 2 batteries, the phone and the DAC while S1 you only need 1
Both can play Hi-Res, DSD and MQA
Hip DAC you can't change the sound signature except in the phone where you'll loose the bit-perfect but S1 have the built in EQ/ATE except for MQA
Both can control volume externally
S1 you have the display of information while Hip DAC based on LED color (PCM/DSD/MQA)
Both well built with aluminum casing
S1 is more portable and worry free compare to Hip DAC without hassle
S1 will not easily forgive bad recording files
This small dac/amp have checked all the box as a truly portable device that can enhance you music listening level while on the go. Good work Lotoo!!
When it comes only to sound quality, which do you prefer?

Mar 17, 2021 at 10:27 AM Post #1,832 of 2,329
When it comes only to sound quality, which do you prefer?
It's very subjective. Both iFi Zen DAC and Hip-DAC have their own continuous power supply (5v and Battery Powered) which they have more soundstage compare to Lotoo PAW S1 which derives power from the smartphone. Just compare their power out put on Balanced and Single Ended. In terms of sound quality, all these 3 dac/amp gives smooth separations and clarities that sooth your music listening and also up to your preferences. But for me, I've enjoy listening on all of them, and depends on your listening equipment too like your speaker/headphone/iem.

Mar 17, 2021 at 10:33 AM Post #1,833 of 2,329
Hey, everyone! I wanted to share my review of the PAW S1. I found it exceptionally good for its form factor and price, and it gets an instant recommendation from me if you wanna elevate your portable set-up without committing to a full-on DAP. I hope you enjoy. Thanks! :)

Lotoo PAW S1: The Swiss Army - A USB DAC/Amp Review

Lotoo-S1-09_S.jpg

Mar 17, 2021 at 7:42 PM Post #1,834 of 2,329
Lotoo PAW S1 isn't playing well with my 2012 MacBook Pro (running Mojave). When I try playing back using the Lotoo USB-A adapter my Mac doesn't seem to recognize the PAW S1 at all, and the music just outputs to the laptop speakers. Is my Mac too old? or am I missing something else?

Mar 17, 2021 at 8:43 PM Post #1,835 of 2,329
Works great with my M1 MacBook Pro

Mar 18, 2021 at 7:45 AM Post #1,837 of 2,329
Lotoo PAW S1 isn't playing well with my 2012 MacBook Pro (running Mojave). When I try playing back using the Lotoo USB-A adapter my Mac doesn't seem to recognize the PAW S1 at all, and the music just outputs to the laptop speakers. Is my Mac too old? or am I missing something else?
Do you have the latest firmware on the S1?

Mar 18, 2021 at 9:59 AM Post #1,841 of 2,329
I was able to mount the unit on my desktop to upgrade the firmware. Is that what's meant by UAC 1 mode?
>Added UAC1 mode that enables the DAC to be used with gaming consoles and windows 7/8 PCs.

Consoles Supported:-​

Nintendo Switch, Sony Playstation 4, Xbox One.

How to Use UAC1 Mode:-​

Hold the “+” key on Lotoo PAW S1 then connect to the gaming device, “UAC1 MODE” will be shown on S1 during booting.

Reconnect without “+” key held will switch back to normal mode(UAC2).

Mar 18, 2021 at 10:11 AM Post #1,842 of 2,329
>Added UAC1 mode that enables the DAC to be used with gaming consoles and windows 7/8 PCs.

Consoles Supported:-​

Nintendo Switch, Sony Playstation 4, Xbox One.

How to Use UAC1 Mode:-​

Hold the “+” key on Lotoo PAW S1 then connect to the gaming device, “UAC1 MODE” will be shown on S1 during booting.

Reconnect without “+” key held will switch back to normal mode(UAC2).
Thanks. I don't have a gaming console, but I tried connecting to my laptop holding the "+" key and the PAW S1 did go into UAC1 mode. In UAC1 I tried listening to music but the sound still comes from the laptop speakers. Tried removing and re-inserting (normal mode), same result. :triportsad:

Mar 18, 2021 at 10:50 AM Post #1,843 of 2,329
Thanks. I don't have a gaming console, but I tried connecting to my laptop holding the "+" key and the PAW S1 did go into UAC1 mode. In UAC1 I tried listening to music but the sound still comes from the laptop speakers. Tried removing and re-inserting (normal mode), same result. :triportsad:
Sorry, haven’t read the whole sub thread on this, so I may be asking a silly question... have you checked in the windows settings that the S1 is selected as the audio option? Just connecting an external device sometimes doesn‘t result in that device automatically being selected.

Again, sorry if this doesn’t add any value!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back