Lotoo PAW S1 - Designed for HIFI on the go with Lotoo PAW quality and the first USB DAC-AMP with dual 3.5mm & 4.4mm output
Aug 15, 2020 at 12:52 PM Post #948 of 2,329
How'd you guys overcome the static sounds/interference problem. Got quite alot on the train lol

Does the static change based on whether you are holding it, or if it's near a phone or similar device?

Earlier in the thread people wrapped their S1s with stuff to try to combat this. Then when they updated to the latest firmware, the interference issue stopped entirely.

The latest firmware is 1.0.0.7, released in July:
http://www.lotoo.cn/english/bottom/Service/Download/Hi_Fi_Music_Player/2020/0715/95.html

Aug 15, 2020 at 1:24 PM Post #950 of 2,329
Does the static change based on whether you are holding it, or if it's near a phone or similar device?

Earlier in the thread people wrapped their S1s with stuff to try to combat this. Then when they updated to the latest firmware, the interference issue stopped entirely.

The latest firmware is 1.0.0.7, released in July:
http://www.lotoo.cn/english/bottom/Service/Download/Hi_Fi_Music_Player/2020/0715/95.html
It is highly unlikely that a firmware update can eliminate electromagnetic interference. This is a function of an unshielded wire (trace on a board, connector on a chip, or an external cable) that is then not properly filtered picking up a nearby signal on just the right frequency... just the way an old time radio or TV antenna worked (which as I type that reminds me of how old I am and how young most participants here probably are!). If you are on WiFi most likely you won’t hear the static even with cellular enabled as most of the data traffic will be handled by your WiFi, but outdoors or somewhere else without WiFi requiring you to use cellular you are likely to hear it; even if you are playing a song that is already downloaded on your phone you will hear the static if you are also browsing on your phone while on cellular. At least this has been MY observation, and thus MY theory. I could be 100% wrong :)

In my case I have narrowed this down to interference from my phone’s LTE connection. If I disable cellular, or just use WiFi (for example on my R6 Pro that only has WiFi) I don’t experience interference. But if I disable WiFi on my phone and stream over cellular I definitely hear it. This is a pretty common problem with dongles like the S1, though I am sure some are better than others.

I have not tried any shielding. At this point I am using my BTR5 and Qudelix 5K as BT receivers and am pretty happy. Also has the benefit that my phone is free to be used for browsing withou a dongle hanging off of it.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2020 at 4:56 PM Post #951 of 2,329
It is highly unlikely that a firmware update can eliminate electromagnetic interference. This is a function of an unshielded wire (trace on a board, connector on a chip, or an external cable) that is then not properly filtered picking up a nearby signal on just the right frequency... just the way an old time radio or TV antenna worked (which as I type that reminds me of how old I am and how young most participants here probably are!). If you are on WiFi most likely you won’t hear the static even with cellular enabled as most of the data traffic will be handled by your WiFi, but outdoors or somewhere else without WiFi requiring you to use cellular you are likely to hear it; even if you are playing a song that is already downloaded on your phone you will hear the static if you are also browsing on your phone while on cellular. At least this has been MY observation, and thus MY theory. I could be 100% wrong :)

In my case I have narrowed this down to interference from my phone’s LTE connection. If I disable cellular, or just use WiFi (for example on my R6 Pro that only has WiFi) I don’t experience interference. But if I disable WiFi on my phone and stream over cellular I definitely hear it. This is a pretty common problem with dongles like the S1, though I am sure some are better than others.

I have not tried any shielding. At this point I am using my BTR5 and Qudelix 5K as BT receivers and am pretty happy. Also has the benefit that my phone is free to be used for browsing withou a dongle hanging off of it.

I tried to replicate the issue by turning off WiFi and holding the S1, its cable... nothing. Very strange that it affects some devices and not others.

The update fixing things didn't make sense to me either. I saw people in the gallery and had wrapped their S1s in some kind of tape. Starting around this post if anyone's curious. On the next page, people updated their firmware and some said the static went away:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/lot...5mm-4-4mm-output.932676/page-29#post-15696892

I remember my GSM phones from a very long time ago would have this annoying feedback whenever they were near speakers, even while in a car. Just before a phone call came in, nearby speakers would make a particular stuttering sound.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2020 at 11:21 PM Post #952 of 2,329
I can say that firmware update did nothing for me in case of reducing the electromagnetic interference. It also only happened on LTE to me.

I'm thinking that the LTE band could explain why some people are affected, while other are less so. I.e maybe 900mhz band are more affected than 2100mhz band.

Aug 16, 2020 at 8:54 AM Post #954 of 2,329
in my case, Romi's mod did some since i think he implemented a bit more power into the dac and maybe that did something against EFI, though it didnt got rid of it at 100% sometimes is truly annoying, as much as i enjoy the s1, right now i got my sony nw45 doing dac duties... still im looking at qudelix 5k, it might bring a new flavor with the PEQ parameters they just implemented

Aug 16, 2020 at 3:57 PM Post #955 of 2,329
hi.. anyone managed to pair up the paw s1 with an EE Phantom with the standard ares ii cable that comes with it? any noticeable hiss? hows the pair up? thanks

Aug 16, 2020 at 4:00 PM Post #956 of 2,329
in my case, Romi's mod did some since i think he implemented a bit more power into the dac and maybe that did something against EFI, though it didnt got rid of it at 100% sometimes is truly annoying, as much as i enjoy the s1, right now i got my sony nw45 doing dac duties... still im looking at qudelix 5k, it might bring a new flavor with the PEQ parameters they just implemented
If you do get the qudelix, please do report your findings between it and the S1, as I'm in the same position : )

Aug 16, 2020 at 6:10 PM Post #957 of 2,329
I think if qudelix will have decent PEQ available it will be a no brainer. Even though I like S1, but on the go cabled connection doesn't feel right for me. If I'm actively moving I always get connection drops and when you want to adjust volume you need to take out both devices. Receiving a call is a huge mess while disconnecting/reconnecting everything. With bluetooth UP4 I was skeptical, but boy I was surprised... bluetooth codecs progressed a lot since it's early days and can easily match wired portable dac/amp in SQ. I can bet that once you try a decent bluetooth dac/amp you will forget all these wired dongles

Aug 16, 2020 at 6:58 PM Post #958 of 2,329
I think if qudelix will have decent PEQ available it will be a no brainer. Even though I like S1, but on the go cabled connection doesn't feel right for me. If I'm actively moving I always get connection drops and when you want to adjust volume you need to take out both devices. Receiving a call is a huge mess while disconnecting/reconnecting everything. With bluetooth UP4 I was skeptical, but boy I was surprised... bluetooth codecs progressed a lot since it's early days and can easily match wired portable dac/amp in SQ. I can bet that once you try a decent bluetooth dac/amp you will forget all these wired dongles
LDAC from r6pro to my wm1a or now the modded nw45a firmware sounds so amazing, i think i can leave the qudelix for later on, still i will be posting about it, right now the sony nw 45a got my whole attention @shadow1121

Aug 16, 2020 at 7:30 PM Post #959 of 2,329
I believe I saw this covered somewhere deep in this thread, but couldnt find it...

Does everyones S1 display incorrect file information?
Mine seems to get the sample rate correct sometimes, but never gets the bit-rate correct (always 24 or 32, I've never seen it say 16bit lol).

Aug 17, 2020 at 2:06 AM Post #960 of 2,329
If you do get the qudelix, please do report your findings between it and the S1, as I'm in the same position : )

Unless you need the Nintendo Switch support or REALLY hate battery charging, I'd just get the Qudelix. I have both the S1 and Qudelix, no significant difference in sound quality but the parametric EQ on the Qudelix works really well. Also both are great with IEMs since you get a lot of volume adjustment range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back