Lotoo PAW S1 - Designed for HIFI on the go with Lotoo PAW quality and the first USB DAC-AMP with dual 3.5mm & 4.4mm output
Aug 12, 2020 at 11:44 PM Post #916 of 2,329
Was just browsing and saw something curious from Lotoo. No idea what it is...

Genelec 8361B pair in the background -the powered monitor pair with internal DSP that accepts both digital and analogue inputs through XLR. The little Lotoo device could be a plain bit-to-bit signal converter to be connected to computer in the sound mixing/mastering studio or audiophile homes.

Aug 13, 2020 at 5:43 AM Post #917 of 2,329
Genelec 8361B pair in the background -the powered monitor pair with internal DSP that accepts both digital and analogue inputs through XLR. The little Lotoo device could be a plain bit-to-bit signal converter to be connected to computer in the sound mixing/mastering studio or audiophile homes.

It looks like specifically a digital converter. The left dip switch list aes and spdif. Also, it looks like the 8331 and not the 8361.

Aug 13, 2020 at 1:05 PM Post #918 of 2,329
These no details ads remind me of restaurants that don't have a sign plus you got to find the hidden door. I find both really annoying but I suppose it gets people to generate free exposure on social media.

I prefer companies like Schiit - all the details and even back story in their first announcement with the product available to buy on that same day.

Aug 13, 2020 at 3:18 PM Post #919 of 2,329
Anyone know how to connect this to a phone that already has a built in 3.5mm jack? I just got it and am trying to get it to work on my old galaxy s8 running android 9.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2020 at 10:14 PM Post #925 of 2,329
Interesting, could be my iPad that’s the problem then. With a windows laptop the USB C cable works fine as well.

I did a quick test with Amazon Music on iPhone X, iPad Pro 12.9 (2018), and Windows 10 Pro 2004 PC (exclusive mode on).
And I've confirmed they have the same output level. S1 volume is at 20 on high gain.

Aug 13, 2020 at 10:24 PM Post #926 of 2,329
No, the s1 doesn't even turn on when I plug it in.
Is there a setting to enable OTG in your quick settings or something similar? On my phone I have to enable it once I plug it in.

Aug 13, 2020 at 11:19 PM Post #927 of 2,329
DSC_0023.jpg

S1 + Moondrop SSR. Good time...

Aug 14, 2020 at 2:34 AM Post #929 of 2,329
Guys,

I have a couple of questions and I'd appreciate your answers:
1. Not sure if I missed this, but has anyone compared the S1 to the sonata HD pro?
2. As I own the sonata HD pro and I think it is sufficient to drive my HE4xx, do you think that the S1 can drive the HE4xx as well?

A little late, but I wanted to give my thoughts in case you're still considering or anyone else... Personally, I prefer the Sonata HD Pro on everything except for cans it cannot drive to decent volume. Ex; Hifiman Sundara.
The Sonata HDP sounds so much cleaner to me, I thought I had a broken S1 and ordered a replacement (I love Amazon). Unless they were both broken, all I can say is this; after listening to the Sonata HDP for months, upon plugging in the S1, I now understand exactly what a "veil" sounds like. I even felt the all the EQ settings sounded like they were veiled, just in a much different way.
To my ears, as they say. Maybe I just do not prefer this "analog" sound everyone has been referring to.

In all other aspects the Lotoo S1 is very nice; great build quality, easy to use, simple to upgrade the FW, has decent power on balanced. I wanted to love the S1 so much I'm a little sad I dont.

Aug 14, 2020 at 2:47 AM Post #930 of 2,329
Anyone with an iPadPro 2018 can comment if they are finding the same as me?

It seems that I get significantly less power on my iPad into the S1 than compared to my phone or PC. On my PC high gain on 1 vol is usually too loud but on my iPad I need to crank it up to 20.

I've found that all of these "larger" dongles receive more power, sound a little better, & can drive headphones easier when connected to a PC, compared to an Android phone (cant say for an Apple, but I assume its the same). The S1 being too loud on 1 though... sounds off. On 1 I basically hear nothing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back