Lotoo PAW S1 - Designed for HIFI on the go with Lotoo PAW quality and the first USB DAC-AMP with dual 3.5mm & 4.4mm output
Jun 5, 2020 at 3:33 PM Post #286 of 2,329
Of all the things I'd say about Luna balanced comes to mind but neutral? Luna is such a vivid IEM with the best macro and micro dynamics.... it's intense and lively :)

Jun 5, 2020 at 3:53 PM Post #287 of 2,329
So I got the Lotoo S1 yesterday and just received the iFi Hip DAC about an hour ago. I have been A/B'ing the two units for about half an hour now with my pair of Final Audio B3 IEM's which are a relatively neutral set of IEM's out of the 4.4 balanced output on both DAC's.

My initial impressions of the Lotoo S1 is that it is very neutral sounding in general and definitely seems more reference in its presentation. There is no emphasis on any region of the sound signature and everything is presented as is according to the music. I have heard from others who have posted on this thread previously that the "dental" EQ setting improved on the detail presentation of the S1 which I also found to be true. The dental EQ does make the S1 sound a little but more clear and airy in its presentation. The S1 is very clean sounding and I would recommend the S1 for those that are looking for a cleaner/reference sound. Some things I felt the S1 was a little lacking in was how it affected instrument decay and soundstage. However, I believe this is due to do with the power output of the S1 more than anything. My Final B3's are relatively inefficient when it comes to the power needed. The 120 mW power output out of the balanced connection on the S1 does seems a little inadequate for my Final B3's. With insufficient power, my IEM's exhibit a smaller soundstage. Through the S1, the soundstage was smaller and this lead to music being more "in your face" from the instruments to the vocals. Some might like this presentation, but for me personally I wished there was more space in the soundstage. Instrument decay seemed to be a little shorter than on the iFi Hip DAC.

Moving on to the iFi Hip DAC, my initial impressions after about 30 minutes of use is very different to that of the S1. I would describe the Hip DAC (in comparison to the S1) to be more lush/warm in its sound delivery with more bass presence and vocal forwardness. The mid bass is more present than on the S1 which has a more linear approach to each region of the sound frequency response. I also noticed that vocals are more forward and seem to float above the instruments ever so slightly, and sounded fuller and more lush whereas the S1 vocals sounded a little more thin/crisp in comparison. The vocals also have a more shimmery presentation/decay when compared to the S1. The soundstage on the Hip DAC is definitely more wide than compared to the S1 with more width (the instruments and vocals are a little further out). To me personally, this lead to the sensation of more space between each instrument and the vocals, which gave the impression of a less "in your face" presentation. I think this increase in soundstage is due to the higher power output of the balanced output of the Hip DAC (400 mW compared to the 120 mW of the S1). I also tried out the xBass function of the Hip DAC and found that it does elevate the bass region in a tasteful way, but it does sometimes bleed into the midrange, causing the vocals to become a little muddy when compared to the xBass being off. Also as a side note, the iFi Hip DAC on high gain out of the balanced 4.4 output did have some audible background noise.

Please keep in mind these are impressions from a very short period of use and these are just things that stood out to me initially. But as of right now, I personally am leaning towards the Hip DAC due to its wider soundstage presentation and warmer/lusher sound when compared to the S1. Since my IEM's are relatively neutral with a sub-bass rolloff, the warmth added by the Hip DAC is enjoyable to listen to. The Hip DAC definitely provides a more relaxed listening experience whereas the S1 is definitely more neutral and reference. I appreciate how clean sounding the S1 is in general and would recommend it to those looking for a brighter/more neutral sound or for those with warmer gear and want to have a very portable AMP/DAC dongle that does not color the sound and instead takes a step back, allowing the gear to shine through. The Hip DAC I would recommend to those that are looking for a warmer, more lush, more musical, and more relaxing experience. I think if you already have warm sounding headphones/IEM's the Hip DAC would color the sound a little too much imo, but if you have neutral/bright equipment and you are looking to add some warmth, the Hip DAC is perfect for you. Also if you have harder to drive equipment that needs more power, I would recommend the Hip DAC over the S1. If it is portability you are after, the S1 wins hands down. This wraps up my thoughts for now and feel free to ask questions.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2020 at 12:48 AM Post #288 of 2,329
So I got the Lotoo S1 yesterday and just received the iFi Hip DAC about an hour ago. I have been A/B'ing the two units for about half an hour now with my pair of Final Audio B3 IEM's which are a relatively neutral set of IEM's out of the 4.4 balanced output on both DAC's.

My initial impressions of the Lotoo S1 is that it is very neutral sounding in general and definitely seems more reference in its presentation. There is no emphasis on any region of the sound signature and everything is presented as is according to the music. I have heard from others who have posted on this thread previously that the "dental" EQ setting improved on the detail presentation of the S1 which I also found to be true. The dental EQ does make the S1 sound a little but more clear and airy in its presentation. The S1 is very clean sounding and I would recommend the S1 for those that are looking for a cleaner/reference sound. Some things I felt the S1 was a little lacking in was how it affected instrument decay and soundstage. However, I believe this is due to do with the power output of the S1 more than anything. My Final B3's are relatively inefficient when it comes to the power needed. The 120 mW power output out of the balanced connection on the S1 does seems a little inadequate for my Final B3's. With insufficient power, my IEM's exhibit a smaller soundstage. Through the S1, the soundstage was smaller and this lead to music being more "in your face" from the instruments to the vocals. Some might like this presentation, but for me personally I wished there was more space in the soundstage. Instrument decay seemed to be a little shorter than on the iFi Hip DAC.

Moving on to the iFi Hip DAC, my initial impressions after about 30 minutes of use is very different to that of the S1. I would describe the Hip DAC (in comparison to the S1) to be more lush/warm in its sound delivery with more bass presence and vocal forwardness. The mid bass is more present than on the S1 which has a more linear approach to each region of the sound frequency response. I also noticed that vocals are more forward and seem to float above the instruments ever so slightly, and sounded fuller and more lush whereas the S1 vocals sounded a little more thin/crisp in comparison. The vocals also have a more shimmery presentation/decay when compared to the S1. The soundstage on the Hip DAC is definitely more wide than compared to the S1 with more width (the instruments and vocals are a little further out). To me personally, this lead to the sensation of more space between each instrument and the vocals, which gave the impression of a less "in your face" presentation. I think this increase in soundstage is due to the higher power output of the balanced output of the Hip DAC (400 mW compared to the 120 mW of the S1). I also tried out the xBass function of the Hip DAC and found that it does elevate the bass region in a tasteful way, but it does sometimes bleed into the midrange, causing the vocals to become a little muddy when compared to the xBass being off. Also as a side note, the iFi Hip DAC on high gain out of the balanced 4.4 output did have some audible background noise.

Please keep in mind these are impressions from a very short period of use and these are just things that stood out to me initially. But as of right now, I personally am leaning towards the Hip DAC due to its wider soundstage presentation and warmer/lusher sound when compared to the S1. Since my IEM's are relatively neutral with a sub-bass rolloff, the warmth added by the Hip DAC is enjoyable to listen to. The Hip DAC definitely provides a more relaxed listening experience whereas the S1 is definitely more neutral and reference. I appreciate how clean sounding the S1 is in general and would recommend it to those looking for a brighter/more neutral sound or for those with warmer gear and want to have a very portable AMP/DAC dongle that does not color the sound and instead takes a step back, allowing the gear to shine through. The Hip DAC I would recommend to those that are looking for a warmer, more lush, more musical, and more relaxing experience. I think if you already have warm sounding headphones/IEM's the Hip DAC would color the sound a little too much imo, but if you have neutral/bright equipment and you are looking to add some warmth, the Hip DAC is perfect for you. Also if you have harder to drive equipment that needs more power, I would recommend the Hip DAC over the S1. If it is portability you are after, the S1 wins hands down. This wraps up my thoughts for now and feel free to ask questions.
Thanks for your early impressions. I'm considering these two dac as well. Would like to hear your views again after more listening.

Jun 6, 2020 at 9:31 AM Post #293 of 2,329
Any FiiO BTR5 owners plan to try S1? Curious about some comparison there.

I have both (BTR5 and S1) and posted some short thoughts earlier in this thread. In brief, the S1 is a more neutral and transparent device. The BTR5 has a thicker presentation, which I think obscures too much detail but some people may prefer its thicker, warmer sound.

Jun 6, 2020 at 10:21 AM Post #294 of 2,329
Got mine today.
I have to say I haven’t really been able to pay too much attention to the sound quality because the Background/ iPhone noise is intermittent and rampant, especially over very quiet pieces or passages.
I think this’ll go back on Monday... sucks for the 4.4 connector, as i don’t like having to change cable when I use my phone, but I can’t stand the noise.
One other thing, with CA Solaris, even the minimum volume at low gain is too loud for quiet listening, for me.

back to the Dragonfly Cobalt!

Jun 6, 2020 at 10:44 AM Post #295 of 2,329
Got mine today.
I have to say I haven’t really been able to pay too much attention to the sound quality because the Background/ iPhone noise is intermittent and rampant, especially over very quiet pieces or passages.
I think this’ll go back on Monday... sucks for the 4.4 connector, as i don’t like having to change cable when I use my phone, but I can’t stand the noise.
One other thing, with CA Solaris, even the minimum volume at low gain is too loud for quiet listening, for me.

back to the Dragonfly Cobalt!
Yeah, the interference is annoying... I just don’t get why a maker of an dac/amp dongle wouldn‘t design for the largest market - the phone use case. I do enjoy the S1 out of my R6 Pro DAP, but no way would I bother with it on my phone after hearing the interference. Very perplexing design choice to be sure...

But, a nice accompaniment to my DAP. Was expecting it to be more versatile.

Jun 6, 2020 at 10:47 AM Post #296 of 2,329
Yeah, the interference is annoying... I just don’t get why a maker of an dac/amp dongle wouldn‘t design for the largest market - the phone use case. I do enjoy the S1 out of my R6 Pro DAP, but no way would I bother with it on my phone after hearing the interference. Very perplexing design choice to be sure...

But, a nice accompaniment to my DAP. Was expecting it to be more versatile.

I agree, however I already have a better sounding dap than this, so no point in keeping it. It was exclusively to be used with my iPhone, but it is unusable in my opinion due to the background intermittent noise.

Jun 6, 2020 at 4:26 PM Post #297 of 2,329
With a single ended connection and my iPhone, I don't hear any hiss or buzzing, either with wifi or cellular. I'm using the Lotoo lightning adapter, and I tested this with classical music playing via Qobuz to an old Etymotic ER-4 IEM and a relatively new set of Focal Stellia over-ear headphones. The only balanced cable I have has a XLR connection, so I couldn't test the 4.4MM output.

Jun 6, 2020 at 8:31 PM Post #298 of 2,329
Well, Romi’s mod fix the noise supposedly, though 1) ship to Hong Kong 2) pay for the mod 3) shipping back

That’s around 200usd altogether ... maybe I’ll get some of that copper foil tape, modding with Romi sounds fun (cause he amplifies as well the balanced line and the se) but with Covid, money wise I cannot afford it, buying a new unit and get it shipped to him and then get the modded unit and sell the current one makes more sense to me

But seriously, this thing is really really noisy, I was working in the morning with it on and I was cringing the whole time with the noise, seriously can’t believe they didn’t test it in before and didn’t notice, it’s literally there almost the whole time with my cellphone

Jun 6, 2020 at 9:26 PM Post #299 of 2,329
My S1 has been dead-silent with my Moto G7 Power both streaming and playing from SD card. Phones used are Dunu DK-2001, ER4XR and Saturn S1. Guess I am lucky!

Jun 6, 2020 at 10:17 PM Post #300 of 2,329
My S1 has been dead-silent with my Moto G7 Power both streaming and playing from SD card. Phones used are Dunu DK-2001, ER4XR and Saturn S1. Guess I am lucky!
Same is true for me with my LG v40, at least for the use cases I have with it right now. Perfectly silent when I'm streaming on wifi or listening to downloaded/local files while using the 3.5mm port.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back