Lotoo PAW S1 - Designed for HIFI on the go with Lotoo PAW quality and the first USB DAC-AMP with dual 3.5mm & 4.4mm output
May 28, 2020 at 12:04 PM Post #152 of 2,329
I know what you mean, but the fact that it is so well covered suggests that as a feature set, good quality Bluetooth connectivity is now considered standard. I would never consider buying any DAC or DAC/amp that did not support Bluetooth properly. I think when companies fail to do so it likely indicates that they lack the in-house skill set to integrate BT into their offerings, but if that is the case a company that fails to recognize what is needed runs the risk of falling further and further behind consumer trends. In terms of sound quality the notion that Bluetooth can't sound as good as a wired connection has been pretty much laid to rest. Absolutely the first efforts at Bluetooth suffered sonically, but that is no longer the case. When implemented well Bluetooth is extremely capable. Too many people still listen with their eyes and of course their bias to believe that wired is better is easily confirmed because they are predisposed to expect this and surprise, surprise, when doing sighted listening their expectations are confirmed.

I have been very interested in this particular issue for a number of years now and very often when I read the impressions of somebody who appears to be genuinely open minded, but still using sighted listening tests they will typically mention that they hear very small differences. The concern that I have is that once we start getting into these very small differences we have entered the territory where expectation bias could also easily explain the possible difference. Anyway, I didn't really intend to get into this so my apology, my main message was that I think it is very reasonable to expect that all companies be willing to offer a solid Bluetooth connectivity option. Yes price will go up, but you yourself noted that all the other companies are able to provide Bluetooth connectivity on their devices, in fact, Bluetooth is the new USB as far as I can tell with companies really embracing it and trying to make their implementations stand out. I do this because I want as many companies as possible to remain relevant in the hobby as the more choice and competition, the better the hobby becomes for the consumer. Ignoring Bluetooth in 2020 makes very little sense for devices that are about convenience and flexibility.
Maybe I undersold this point but a huge reason why I use the S1 so much is the instant power on/off and portability. I don't want it to be any bigger, and with BT implemented both of those aspects would be worse. If you want portable BT, TWS buds are a much better option to me. I have a Radsone ES100 thats collecting dust. Yes it sounds good enough and has good eq but just lacks the convenience of something like the S1

May 28, 2020 at 1:28 PM Post #155 of 2,329
Hi JimJim,

I did check all the USB settings and my Ztella, IBAsso DX200 in DAC mode, Samsung iem and dongle all work fine. Just the PAW S1 does not.

I take your response to mean it does work for you?? What is your S20 model number?

Cheers

Thomas
I think there are still some compatibility issues to be ironed out because I can’t get it to work with my phone either (Sony XA2, does power up but no sound). Lotoo is checking into it.

May 28, 2020 at 1:45 PM Post #156 of 2,329
Hi JimJim,

I did check all the USB settings and my Ztella, IBAsso DX200 in DAC mode, Samsung iem and dongle all work fine. Just the PAW S1 does not.

I take your response to mean it does work for you?? What is your S20 model number?

Cheers

Thomas

Did you install the latest fw?

May 28, 2020 at 3:39 PM Post #157 of 2,329
Yes, I think I may need to walk my Bluetooth comment back here a little anyway. So if I understand things the S1 requires power be provided externally via USB in which case having a Bluetooth connection would be less useful. I'm not sure why I thought that it was self-powered? My bad.

May 28, 2020 at 4:01 PM Post #158 of 2,329
Yes, I think I may need to walk my Bluetooth comment back here a little anyway. So if I understand things the S1 requires power be provided externally via USB in which case having a Bluetooth connection would be less useful. I'm not sure why I thought that it was self-powered? My bad.
To be honest, I initially thought it was a BT DAC/Amp. :wink:

May 28, 2020 at 9:44 PM Post #160 of 2,329
Hi JimJim,

Cheers

Thomas

Sorry 🙇‍♂️ I haven't got mine yet still on shipping 😅. I'll try it on once arrives. Will update you.

May 29, 2020 at 6:52 AM Post #162 of 2,329
I use to hang Paw S1 out of my pocket, but sadly in less than a week the small Lotoo usb C cable borke and has interuptions and on the lotoo s1 device, the usb c port started to move few mm on every side , but still working :frowning2:

It seems quality product, I’m suprised this happened. I’ve ordered shanling up4 bt dac/amp and was impatient on lotoo s1. Will be able to compare sq from both of these devices

May 29, 2020 at 7:24 AM Post #163 of 2,329
I use to hang Paw S1 out of my pocket, but sadly in less than a week the small Lotoo usb C cable borke and has interuptions and on the lotoo s1 device, the usb c port started to move few mm on every side , but still working :frowning2:
While I haven’t had this exactly happen to me I did have the connection become interrupted one time. That got me worried and I will start keeping both player and the S1 in my pocket. Not as convenient but should mean the device will be more reliable and last longer...

May 29, 2020 at 8:40 AM Post #164 of 2,329
I see everyone is happy with their s1, mine is in Hong Kong still, I think it’s delayed. Dhl tracking just says: information received, it will come; all in its right time.

somethign that i keep worrying about is this:
i already have a collection of cables from sonata, hilidac and ztella from adapters that their cable broke, I ended up buying an apple camera dongle which i was meant to place some Velcro to dock it into my phone last week to keep it more stable... thanks for the reminder! Anyways! Thing is that it worries me too, the only ones I’ve seen taking a an approach for this (and yet, it is still a prototype) are the guys from ikko zerda with the itm05. in my experience it depends if I’m at work, I’ll let it hang from my pocket and try to stay aware of the dongle while moving around, if I’m walking around i do keep it in my back pocket. however I think that If I fix it in some way into the back of my phone, it might just last longer, good thing is that usb c cables are not that hard to get, bad thing is that my sonata hd pro suffers the same problem as @Def1side s1,the Micro USB port got loose, it doesn’t get interruptions but still, it’s so annoying.

big question for everyone, how do you connect the s1 into the PlayStation?I’ve been asking that question around, the only way I know it’s through the controller 3.5mm output but if anybody can share some experience I would be truly grateful

Users who are viewing this thread

Back