Lotoo PAW S1 - Designed for HIFI on the go with Lotoo PAW quality and the first USB DAC-AMP with dual 3.5mm & 4.4mm output
May 27, 2020 at 4:19 PM Post #137 of 2,329
Any comparaison with the E1DA 9038s ?

May 27, 2020 at 9:33 PM Post #139 of 2,329
SQ is super good from this dongle. I have the iBasso DC01 which is 2.5mm(I am pretty much entrenched in 2.5mm). I also have a couple of 3.5mm dongles, the one included with Luna and lesser ones from Samsung and Google. I use it with a Samsung S20 Ultra and will use it with my Surface. I do not use iPhone so I can't comment on it. I do have a 4.4mm Male to 2.5mm Female adapter, so all of my bases are covered.

On Android, USB Player Pro works flawlessly and recognizes S1.
Hi,

does the PAW work for you on the S20 Ultra? Did you change any settings?

If I plug it directly into my S20 Ultra (SM-G988U1) it does not even power on. It works fine if I connect the S20 Ultra and the PAW S1 to a powered hub.

For shorter periods it would be nice to just plug it into the phone.

Cheers

Thomas

May 27, 2020 at 9:42 PM Post #140 of 2,329
They only mentioned it comes with PMEQ and ATE presets, they never said it is capable of doing the actual Parametric EQ adjustment and saving PMEQ presets, right? How would you even adjust it on a tiny screen like that with such limited controls. Unless, if they can make an app to do PMEQ adjustments remotely and save it on S1. But they didn't promise that either. I know, wishful thinking, just like I wish they would have BT Wireless connection :)
I have to agree, I don't think anything of this nature should be designed without a well thought out Bluetooth implementation. That is pretty much standard functionality these days. Even if your retail price needs to go up to accommodate this, it really needs to be there.

May 27, 2020 at 10:07 PM Post #141 of 2,329
I have to agree, I don't think anything of this nature should be designed without a well thought out Bluetooth implementation. That is pretty much standard functionality these days. Even if your retail price needs to go up to accommodate this, it really needs to be there.
That market seems very well covered between Radsone, Fiio, Qudelix, etc. I doubt there are many BT options out there can touch the S1 on sound quality tho. Then adding BT adds cost, increases size, possible RF issues...

It might be more niche for some but its basically the only source I've used all week. Just super convenient - instant on with my phone and laptop, and sounds awesome :)

May 27, 2020 at 10:23 PM Post #142 of 2,329
Hi,

does the PAW work for you on the S20 Ultra? Did you change any settings?

If I plug it directly into my S20 Ultra (SM-G988U1) it does not even power on. It works fine if I connect the S20 Ultra and the PAW S1 to a powered hub.

For shorter periods it would be nice to just plug it into the phone.

Cheers

Thomas
Check usb settings on Samsung s20

Screenshot_20200528-102222_Finder.jpg

May 28, 2020 at 3:37 AM Post #143 of 2,329
New firmware 1.0.0.6
1.New feature: UAC 1 Mode. for video game consoles like Nintendo Switch and Windows7/8 (no driver is required)

Method of use: Hold the "+”key on S1 then connect to the playback device, "UAC1 MODE" will be shown on S1 during booting.
Reconnect without "+”key held will enter normal mode(UAC2).

Notice:In UAC1 Mode,Audio spec is fixed to 48KHz/16bit and no DoP supported.

Download link
https://t.co/ZfNoTtDAtx?amp=1

May 28, 2020 at 4:10 AM Post #144 of 2,329
New firmware 1.0.0.6
1.New feature: UAC 1 Mode. for video game consoles like Nintendo Switch and Windows7/8 (no driver is required)

Method of use: Hold the "+”key on S1 then connect to the playback device, "UAC1 MODE" will be shown on S1 during booting.
Reconnect without "+”key held will enter normal mode(UAC2).

Notice:In UAC1 Mode,Audio spec is fixed to 48KHz/16bit and no DoP supported.

Download link
https://t.co/ZfNoTtDAtx?amp=1
Impressive, the new firmware came fast. Thank you for sharing.

May 28, 2020 at 8:13 AM Post #146 of 2,329
1590531370747.jpeg

well, on its way, it’s going to be a fun weekend if it makes it before Friday to Mexican customs, whenever it arrives, ill
Be happy to compare this 2. Been meaning to get e1da products though the g3 sounds the most appealing since I’m an iOS user. This is going to be fun!

How does it compare to e1da gen 3 ? It's a bit of a struggle to get lotoo, but g3 is available via ali

May 28, 2020 at 9:56 AM Post #148 of 2,329
That market seems very well covered between Radsone, Fiio, Qudelix, etc. I doubt there are many BT options out there can touch the S1 on sound quality tho. Then adding BT adds cost, increases size, possible RF issues...

It might be more niche for some but its basically the only source I've used all week. Just super convenient - instant on with my phone and laptop, and sounds awesome :)
I know what you mean, but the fact that it is so well covered suggests that as a feature set, good quality Bluetooth connectivity is now considered standard. I would never consider buying any DAC or DAC/amp that did not support Bluetooth properly. I think when companies fail to do so it likely indicates that they lack the in-house skill set to integrate BT into their offerings, but if that is the case a company that fails to recognize what is needed runs the risk of falling further and further behind consumer trends. In terms of sound quality the notion that Bluetooth can't sound as good as a wired connection has been pretty much laid to rest. Absolutely the first efforts at Bluetooth suffered sonically, but that is no longer the case. When implemented well Bluetooth is extremely capable. Too many people still listen with their eyes and of course their bias to believe that wired is better is easily confirmed because they are predisposed to expect this and surprise, surprise, when doing sighted listening their expectations are confirmed.

I have been very interested in this particular issue for a number of years now and very often when I read the impressions of somebody who appears to be genuinely open minded, but still using sighted listening tests they will typically mention that they hear very small differences. The concern that I have is that once we start getting into these very small differences we have entered the territory where expectation bias could also easily explain the possible difference. Anyway, I didn't really intend to get into this so my apology, my main message was that I think it is very reasonable to expect that all companies be willing to offer a solid Bluetooth connectivity option. Yes price will go up, but you yourself noted that all the other companies are able to provide Bluetooth connectivity on their devices, in fact, Bluetooth is the new USB as far as I can tell with companies really embracing it and trying to make their implementations stand out. I do this because I want as many companies as possible to remain relevant in the hobby as the more choice and competition, the better the hobby becomes for the consumer. Ignoring Bluetooth in 2020 makes very little sense for devices that are about convenience and flexibility.

Last edited:
May 28, 2020 at 10:45 AM Post #149 of 2,329
I, for one, fail to see a need for Bluetooth on the S1 , as I mostly use it for wired reference performance but when I want to use my Bluetooth phones, my phone also does the job just fine.

May 28, 2020 at 10:57 AM Post #150 of 2,329
I know what you mean, but the fact that it is so well covered suggests that as a feature set, good quality Bluetooth connectivity is now considered standard. I would never consider buying any DAC or DAC/amp that did not support Bluetooth properly. I think when companies fail to do so it likely indicates that they lack the in-house skill set to integrate BT into their offerings, but if that is the case a company that fails to recognize what is needed runs the risk of falling further and further behind consumer trends. In terms of sound quality the notion that Bluetooth can't sound as good as a wired connection has been pretty much laid to rest. Absolutely the first efforts at Bluetooth suffered sonically, but that is no longer the case. When implemented well Bluetooth is extremely capable. Too many people still listen with their eyes and of course their bias to believe that wired is better is easily confirmed because they are predisposed to expect this and surprise, surprise, when doing sighted listening their expectations are confirmed.

I have been very interested in this particular issue for a number of years now and very often when I read the impressions of somebody who appears to be genuinely open minded, but still using sighted listening tests they will typically mention that they hear very small differences. The concern that I have is that once we start getting into these very small differences we have entered the territory where expectation bias could also easily explain the possible difference. Anyway, I didn't really intend to get into this so my apology, my main message was that I think it is very reasonable to expect that all companies be willing to offer a solid Bluetooth connectivity option. Yes price will go up, but you yourself noted that all the other companies are able to provide Bluetooth connectivity on their devices, in fact, Bluetooth is the new USB as far as I can tell with companies really embracing it and trying to make their implementations stand out. I do this because I want as many companies as possible to remain relevant in the hobby as the more choice and competition, the better the hobby becomes for the consumer. Ignoring Bluetooth in 2020 makes very little sense for devices that are about convenience and flexibility.
I think you are overthinking this a bit. The S1 is a USB dongle, essentially a mini PAW, and BT simply was not part of its design. If you want that there are loads of options out there that will offer you that. The S1 is something else, like the fact that their PAW DAPs offer something different from the masses of DAPs that come with all the bells and whistles. I like that and I want companies like Lotoo around that don't try to sell you a new Android phone DAP every six months. I like how Lotoo focusses on core tasks for their products and ensures optimal performance. I for one wish more companies would be like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back