Lotoo PAW S1 - Designed for HIFI on the go with Lotoo PAW quality and the first USB DAC-AMP with dual 3.5mm & 4.4mm output
Sep 3, 2020 at 1:51 AM Post #1,051 of 2,329
I just picked up a paw s1 to use on quick go with my IEMs when I don't want to carry my DAP and when I was to use iems with videos. I've read back a few pages but haven't found an answer to my question so I'm going to post here. My apologies if it's been answered before.

Does everyone just set their source to max volume and then control volume on the s1? For example, max volume on phone, paw s1 volume control from there (low volume settings in this setup)
From memory of the audio world usually you set a source to max and control volume on the amp so I'm wondering if this is the recommended setup with the s1 or if I should set my phone to maybe half volume and the s1 to where I want the sound at. Or in Reverse, s1 near max, phone to control volume.

Any insights are appreciated!
I understand it the same as you do... Max out your source - it is a digital output so you won’t introduce any distortion. Then tune the volume on the S1. You want to run your final amp stage (S1) at the lowest comfortable volume to avoid distortion - the higher the volume of your source the less the amp,needs to be pushed to its limit where it will possibly begin to distort.

I am able to independently adjust volume on both my Android phone and my S1. I think I can also do the same on my iPad. I don’t have an iPhone to test.

Sep 3, 2020 at 2:05 AM Post #1,052 of 2,329
I just picked up a paw s1 to use on quick go with my IEMs when I don't want to carry my DAP and when I was to use iems with videos. I've read back a few pages but haven't found an answer to my question so I'm going to post here. My apologies if it's been answered before.

Does everyone just set their source to max volume and then control volume on the s1? For example, max volume on phone, paw s1 volume control from there (low volume settings in this setup)
From memory of the audio world usually you set a source to max and control volume on the amp so I'm wondering if this is the recommended setup with the s1 or if I should set my phone to maybe half volume and the s1 to where I want the sound at. Or in Reverse, s1 near max, phone to control volume.

There’s not many (if any)phones that can control the volume of the s1, you have to control it from the dongle it self, volume in the phone doesn’t affect it

Just reas the above comment, though that’s not quite common, iPad doesn’t work either, the s1 has full control, iPhone as well

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2020 at 2:34 AM Post #1,053 of 2,329
There’s not many (if any)phones that can control the volume of the s1, you have to control it from the dongle it self, volume in the phone doesn’t affect it

Just reas the above comment, though that’s not quite common, iPad doesn’t work either, the s1 has full control, iPhone as well
Yep, as you say, the adjustment on the S1 controls just the S1. For this reason Max out the source and fine tune on the S1 :)

Sep 3, 2020 at 6:17 PM Post #1,054 of 2,329
I understand it the same as you do... Max out your source - it is a digital output so you won’t introduce any distortion. Then tune the volume on the S1. You want to run your final amp stage (S1) at the lowest comfortable volume to avoid distortion - the higher the volume of your source the less the amp,needs to be pushed to its limit where it will possibly begin to distort.

I am able to independently adjust volume on both my Android phone and my S1. I think I can also do the same on my iPad. I don’t have an iPhone to test.

Thank you for confirming for me.

Anyone have issues with noise interference? I seem to get crackles a lot when the usb dongle moves around. I'm assuming it's coming from the usb c to usb c cable not being very good. Any alternatives or ways to fix this or confirm its the lotoo usbc cable that's the problem?

Sep 3, 2020 at 8:47 PM Post #1,055 of 2,329
Thank you for confirming for me.

Anyone have issues with noise interference? I seem to get crackles a lot when the usb dongle moves around. I'm assuming it's coming from the usb c to usb c cable not being very good. Any alternatives or ways to fix this or confirm its the lotoo usbc cable that's the problem?

Have you tried using another cable?

Sep 4, 2020 at 4:26 AM Post #1,058 of 2,329

I set my source (phone) to max. As far as I know, this is still considered "best practice"... I would probably do it either way though; I think it sounds better when the source is at 100%.

That is for Spotify, Tidal, etc. Obviously, for anything with direct access to the DAC (UAPP/Neutron/Hiby Music) changing the source volume doesn't do anything.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2020 at 9:13 PM Post #1,059 of 2,329
I set my source (phone) to max. As far as I know, this is still considered "best practice"... I would probably do it either way though; I think it sounds better when the source is at 100%.

That is for Spotify, Tidal, etc. Obviously, for anything with direct access to the DAC (UAPP/Neutron/Hiby Music) changing the source volume doesn't do anything.
That’s how understand it as well. Max out the volume on your digital source. Less distortion is introduced if your output stage is not driven closer to max volume.

Sep 5, 2020 at 7:28 PM Post #1,060 of 2,329
Folks .. just bought the S1 today .. will arrive sometime next week .. I want to use it with in iPhone 11Pro max .. is the $35 Lotoo lightning to Type-C cable the only cable that works with the S1 or are there any other alternatives? Tried searching this thread, but did not get any info. Thanks!

Sep 5, 2020 at 8:43 PM Post #1,061 of 2,329
Folks .. just bought the S1 today .. will arrive sometime next week .. I want to use it with in iPhone 11Pro max .. is the $35 Lotoo lightning to Type-C cable the only cable that works with the S1 or are there any other alternatives? Tried searching this thread, but did not get any info. Thanks!
Apple’s cck with any usb c to usb a, the s1 comes with a converter that you could use, however I do recommend you to get another usb c cable, I use the one that came with my e1da gen 3

Sep 5, 2020 at 9:42 PM Post #1,062 of 2,329
Lighting to USB C.

SG$ 17.89 9%OFF | Lightning to Type-C OTG Cable for Shanling M2X M5s Up4 M0,xd-05 plus,NX4 DS,Fiio BTR5 3 iPhone 11 XS Max, XR, XS 8Plus, iPad Pro https://a.aliexpress.com/_mL0zfKf

From Jaben
https://www.facebook.com/32113666781/posts/10157401061971782/

From Jaben, Hilidac cable
20200906_094044.jpg

*Edited link

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2020 at 10:00 PM Post #1,063 of 2,329
Sep 5, 2020 at 10:04 PM Post #1,065 of 2,329
Apple’s cck with any usb c to usb a, the s1 comes with a converter that you could use, however I do recommend you to get another usb c cable, I use the one that came with my e1da gen 3
Wanted to avoid using the Apple CCK .. been using it with my Dragonfly Red and feel it is cumbersome lugging additional connectors. Thanks for the suggestion!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back