Lotoo PAW S1 - Designed for HIFI on the go with Lotoo PAW quality and the first USB DAC-AMP with dual 3.5mm & 4.4mm output
Aug 26, 2020 at 8:13 PM Post #1,021 of 2,329
Something is intriguing, the file format using an iPhone shown on s1 is always 32bit. 96K/32b, 44K/32b... why is that?
I am using Tidal Masters and I know some files are really 44K/16bit...
Is s1 upsamplig all the time?

Thanks!

Aug 27, 2020 at 1:40 PM Post #1,023 of 2,329
I got mine yesterday.

There is an official distributor here in Budapest - Muzix Group
(https://muzix.hu/infomedia-lotoo-paw-s1-high-end-hordozhato-usb-dac-es-fejhallgato-erosito.html)
Very nice people - english spoken - highly recommended!
They have the entire Lotoo Paw range it seemed to me.

I tried the S1 with the iPhone 8 and the official lightning cable; The LG V30 usb C cable and an Astell&Kern AK70 with a usb C to micro usb cable (have no idea where I got this from) - All working flawlessly.
I used iBasso iems - IT00; IT01s plus the Fiio F9Pro with a Fiio LC-4.4B cable so I could use the balanced output.
For me, the sound is a welcome improvement in all respects from the stand-alone sources.
The iPhone is actually usable as an audio source now!
I was impressed by the clarity and resolution, the instrument separation and overall quality of the sound.
Familiar tracks sounded better than I have ever heard them before whilst new stuff was an even better experience.
I have absolutely no hesitation in recommending the Lotoo Paw S1.
It makes music fun to listen to and that for me, at least, is what it is all about :ksc75smile:
I had a Chord Mojo for a couple of years and even had the Miter combo case for using with the AK70.
In the end I would just use the AK70 on its own - it was/is good enough.
With the S1, it's decidedly better.

Aug 27, 2020 at 9:15 PM Post #1,024 of 2,329
I just listened to my S1, BTR5 on USB-C, and BTR5 on Bluetooth. The S1 sounds better than the BTR5 on USB-C. There S1 is much more balanced across the frequency spectrum, pulled out more detail from the music, and sounded more natural. The BTR5 on USB-C sounded good but imparted a roughness that worked for some music but generally was a minus. Bluetooth (AptX) was a distant third as it really compressed the dynamics on classical music. Not surprisingly, on some pop music, which often is severely compressed to sound louder on the radio, the difference was much less than with classical.

Again, I agree with NCUS about S1 vs. BTR5 wired... The BTR5 has a harshness that the S1 does not. That is exactly how I felt, before reading his comment.

Seriously, if I was tight on money or wanted to use my device while doing physically strenuous activities, BTR5 is great... I'm just saying, sitting here with both and having listened to the S1 for the past couple weeks, the BTR5 sounds harsher to me. Is the S1 better? That is really up to you. What value do you place on having BT? What value do you place on having a set of very different EQ options (S1's EQ dramatically changes the sound, BTR5's doesn't work with LDAC or wired at all)? What is the value of the $60 more the S1 cost? Those are things each person decides. I'm not saying one is better. I'm just saying one sounds better, TO ME.

I am no expert, but the whole idea of "audibly transparent" is kind of BS, at least in my experience. Yes, DAC's may be "audibly transparent", but the DAC itself does nothing. I cant listen to music through it. It has to be implemented into a circuit with other components. Even more so with all these dongles, since they are "2 devices"... DAC and amp. The way they are implemented affects the sound. I love science. I love facts. I try to follow them. But in the end, what I repeatedly see, or in this case hear, is what I'm going to believe.

Also, I dont do "critical listening" nor do I sit there playing a single snippet of a song over and over. I've never thought I had special hearing or "golden ears". I just put on my headphones and do chores/work. And all I can say is, I find myself getting caught up in the sound coming from my headphones, feel more energized by the sound, etc., with some devices more than others. Like the S1 vs. BTR5.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2020 at 9:35 PM Post #1,025 of 2,329
Something is intriguing, the file format using an iPhone shown on s1 is always 32bit. 96K/32b, 44K/32b... why is that?
I am using Tidal Masters and I know some files are really 44K/16bit...
Is s1 upsamplig all the time?

Thanks!

I asked a couple pages back but got no response. Mine always gets the sampling rate correct but only shows 32 or 24 for bit rate. I have never seen it say 16bit, even though 90% of the music I listen to is 16bit. I am on android and using Tidal or UAPP, btw.

I am pretty sure the S1 does not upsample.

Aug 27, 2020 at 11:37 PM Post #1,027 of 2,329
Noted some posts on EMI issues when using S1 with iphone. Anyone has such issues for Android phones, particularly with Samsung Galaxy S or Note series?

Note10+ user here and yes, it does have EMI issues. You might want a longer cable to avoid the S1 getting too close to the phone.

Aug 27, 2020 at 11:59 PM Post #1,028 of 2,329
I'm on Samsung Note 9 and every once in a while I might hear a little EMI when the track gets silent but otherwise, I have no EMI issues. Which is strange, since I always have mine velcroed to the back of my phone... I dont like to have a dongle just hanging off my phone. I am on wifi 90% of the time and am mostly using full size cans, if that matters.

On the included cable... I thought mine was broken, so I had Amazon another S1. Turns out it wasnt the cable, as the original cable worked fine on the 2nd S1. It just wouldnt work with the first S1 at all. Neither would the new cable. Odd thing is, all the other cables I had would work. Basically, the first S1 I received could work with any cable EXCEPT the Lotoo one! 🤣

Aug 28, 2020 at 12:30 AM Post #1,029 of 2,329
I'm on Samsung Note 9 and every once in a while I might hear a little EMI when the track gets silent but otherwise, I have no EMI issues. Which is strange, since I always have mine velcroed to the back of my phone... I dont like to have a dongle just hanging off my phone. I am on wifi 90% of the time and am mostly using full size cans, if that matters.

On the included cable... I thought mine was broken, so I had Amazon another S1. Turns out it wasnt the cable, as the original cable worked fine on the 2nd S1. It just wouldnt work with the first S1 at all. Neither would the new cable. Odd thing is, all the other cables I had would work. Basically, the first S1 I received could work with any cable EXCEPT the Lotoo one! 🤣
If you are using WiFi you will not experience the EMI issue. Only when you are exclusively using LTE. If your device has WiFi and LTE enabled it will do data transfers on WiFi avoiding the cellular connection.

Aug 28, 2020 at 3:49 AM Post #1,030 of 2,329
20200827_195632.jpg

I couldn't wait for MQA firmware

Aug 28, 2020 at 10:03 AM Post #1,035 of 2,329
I asked a couple pages back but got no response. Mine always gets the sampling rate correct but only shows 32 or 24 for bit rate. I have never seen it say 16bit, even though 90% of the music I listen to is 16bit. I am on android and using Tidal or UAPP, btw.

I am pretty sure the S1 does not upsample.
I think that happens only with phones and tablets. On my iMac, using Audirvana, it displays the correct bit rate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back