Lotoo PAW S1 - Designed for HIFI on the go with Lotoo PAW quality and the first USB DAC-AMP with dual 3.5mm & 4.4mm output
May 22, 2020 at 12:35 PM Post #48 of 2,329
Excellent quality product !

Attachments

• 20200522_183543.jpg
    20200522_183543.jpg
    265.8 KB · Views: 0
May 22, 2020 at 2:24 PM Post #50 of 2,329
How much do these dongle daps consume a smartphone's battery? Thinking about getting the S1 for a compact system to take with me to work each day once I am not working from home.

May 22, 2020 at 3:07 PM Post #52 of 2,329
How much do these dongle daps consume a smartphone's battery? Thinking about getting the S1 for a compact system to take with me to work each day once I am not working from home.

That's difficult to say since there are a lot of variables. However, in worst case scenario we can conclude the following for iOS - max current on lightning cable is 100 mA so at 5V that is 500 mW power draw. Most iPhones have around 3000 mWH batteries so worst case is about 17% battery loss per hour for just the dongle. However, in real use and normal volume level, it should be well below this theoretical number. Even if real power usage is 50% of max, that only amounts to around 8% battery per hour. In my previous use of various iOS compatible dongles, I think my actual was closer to 6%, but I also only play AAC tracks from my phone. Lossless and hi res files will consume more battery.

May 22, 2020 at 3:10 PM Post #53 of 2,329
@bflat Thanks for the calculations :)

I will look out for is how much battery drain the IPhone takes with the S1 tonight and check this real life with around 45/50 volume low gain which is what I used for IEMs so far

Last edited:
May 22, 2020 at 3:38 PM Post #54 of 2,329
I've been trying out the S1 for the past few hours and overall pleased with the sound and will comment on that later. However, here are a few tips on functionality:

1) If your source is full USB-C compliant, you don't need a special OTG cable. Any USB-C to USB-C will work because USB-C has built in OTG. I'm just using a basic Amazon USB-C cable on my MacBook Pro and works fine, as does iPad Pro.

2) If your source is not USB-C, then you will need an OTG cable with the host end being whatever your source connector is. The included USB A to USB-C is an OTG adapter for USB A sources. If you end up needing a different kind of OTG cable, make sure you get one that provides power.

3) There is no software volume control. Volume must be adjusted with the buttons on the S1. This is great because the increments are finer than software controls.

4) Firmware updates are really simple. You just hold down the function key and plug the S1 into your PC/Mac. This puts the S1 in storage mode so it shows up as removable storage in your OS. Just copy the firmware file to the root directory and the S1 takes care of it from there in about 3 seconds and the display will say "Successful". Unplug and you are done.

5) EQ is only presets. You cannot customize.

6) There is no case included.

7) I got the promotional Lightning adapter and it is Lotoo branded and works great. It is an OTG adapter so you can't use the adapter to charge your iPhone since it designed to provide power, not consume power.

8) Default out of box output on mine was set to high so you will want to check and also lower the volume all the way down before you start listening for the first time. After that, it will retain whatever you last set it too.

Overall fit and finish are excellent and definitely feel higher than the price would suggest. Only comment I'll make for sound at this early stage is I hear no hiss on my EE Wraith (4 ohm) which is the most sensitive IEM I have.

Last edited:
May 22, 2020 at 3:51 PM Post #55 of 2,329
I have been listening for a day and a half testing it with my travel setup which are modded JVC HA-FD01 and that sounds pretty good. It works flawless on my Windows laptop with all supported bitrates.

On my Galaxy S20 I am only getting it to work with my powerbank which has an integrated USB hub. My default Neutron player only works with the default Android driver resampling everything to 48Khz. The custom direct USB driver in USB Audio player pro works correctly allowing for bit perfect including DOP.

I like what I am hearing. It compares to my Hugo 2 at a much smaller form factor. It has enough power to drive the Focal Utopia quite nice.

So good initial impression with some minor hick-ups on interoperability...

Cheers

Thomas

May 22, 2020 at 4:28 PM Post #56 of 2,329
Just started listening to the S1. Initial impression for me is the sound from 4.4 output is so much better than the 3.5 output. I’m hearing more solid bass and the sound is much more open and higher clarity. I’ll have to let it run a bit more and see if there is any changes.

May 22, 2020 at 4:43 PM Post #57 of 2,329
Just got mine in and hooked it up to my phone. First impressions are good. Maybe slightly warmer by default than my n6ii with e01, but technically it seems to be performing well. Hard for me to judge as a comparison, but it definitely sounds good.

Running my Solaris 2020 single ended. Happy to report no hiss at all as far as I can tell.

As someone else already mentioned, android kinda sucks for this since the android audio stack does its own resampling. At least mine seems to be locked at 44.1 instead of 48, though it is 24 bit. Either way, hopefully any actual resampling is minimal.

Nice that it has its own volume control, though the buttons are not super responsive which is annoying, not to mention that at least on Android with the normal android audio stack, system volume is also taken into account, so gotta remember to max out the volume on my phone first.

Would be nice to have more control over the eq, but still nice to have it. Though also would be nice to have more descriptions about what exactly each setting does.

Also haven't updated the firmware yet.

May 22, 2020 at 6:30 PM Post #58 of 2,329
Just got mine:

The good:

*Build quality is great, nice and solid
*Dead silent with my Solaris SE, plenty of power at low gain
*Immediately worked with my iphone, no issues whatsoever
*Firmware update was dead easy
*Lots of volume steps, and as best I can tell it ignores your iphone volume, and only uses the volume controls on the S1, so no accidentally knocking the side of the phone and cranking your volume way up

The bad:
Why did Lotoo advertise this as having PMEQ and ATE????

All I see are the usual ATE stuff, and no option to create a PMEQ profile. I bought this specifically to use the PMEQ profiles from my PAW 5000 mk2 with my iphone, if I can't do that this is getting returned. I was curious and wanted to see if dropping a pmeq.bin export from my Paw 5000 into the S1 file system would let me use it, the answer is no......

May 22, 2020 at 6:40 PM Post #59 of 2,329
Just got mine:

The good:

*Build quality is great, nice and solid
*Dead silent with my Solaris SE, plenty of power at low gain
*Immediately worked with my iphone, no issues whatsoever
*Firmware update was dead easy
*Lots of volume steps, and as best I can tell it ignores your iphone volume, and only uses the volume controls on the S1, so no accidentally knocking the side of the phone and cranking your volume way up

The bad:
Why did Lotoo advertise this as having PMEQ and ATE????

All I see are the usual ATE stuff, and no option to create a PMEQ profile. I bought this specifically to use the PMEQ profiles from my PAW 5000 mk2 with my iphone, if I can't do that this is getting returned. I was curious and wanted to see if dropping a pmeq.bin export from my Paw 5000 into the S1 file system would let me use it, the answer is no......

They only mentioned it comes with PMEQ and ATE presets, they never said it is capable of doing the actual Parametric EQ adjustment and saving PMEQ presets, right? How would you even adjust it on a tiny screen like that with such limited controls. Unless, if they can make an app to do PMEQ adjustments remotely and save it on S1. But they didn't promise that either. I know, wishful thinking, just like I wish they would have BT Wireless connection :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back