Lotoo PAW S1 - Designed for HIFI on the go with Lotoo PAW quality and the first USB DAC-AMP with dual 3.5mm & 4.4mm output
Jan 31, 2021 at 8:49 PM Post #1,636 of 2,329
They only steal money for nothing :wink:, the only real thing that is doing mqa is saving storage to Tidal and the people is happy to pay for that because of their marketing lair. Even manufacturers like ps audio know that mqa is doing nothing and is bullsh1t but they need to pay to mqa because the people wanna hear the marketing.

LOL. There is always a people like strifeff, who believe in Santa Claus.

I know where you are coming from, but the point here is that many people use Tidal with its MQA-driven service, regardless if you/we hear or don't the difference. Other usb DACs obtained MQA license and now Lotoo S1 is compliant as well, making its product more competitive. So, good for Lotoo to have it under their belt, regardless who find it useful :D

Jan 31, 2021 at 10:35 PM Post #1,637 of 2,329
I know where you are coming from, but the point here is that many people use Tidal with its MQA-driven service, regardless if you/we hear or don't the difference. Other usb DACs obtained MQA license and now Lotoo S1 is compliant as well, making its product more competitive. So, good for Lotoo to have it under their belt, regardless who find it useful :D

I don't find a product with MQA more competitive, in fact i don't even buy it. :D I don't wanna support a company(mqa) asking money from manufacturers and the end user pay them, if you wanna support that, it's ok because is your money. For my part not, i don't wanna a wave of companies doing nothing and destroying the audio.

End of the discuss from my part.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2021 at 12:36 AM Post #1,638 of 2,329
I don't find a product with MQA more competitive, in fact i don't even buy it. :D I don't wanna support a company(mqa) asking money from manufacturers and the end user pay them, if you wanna support that, it's ok because is your money. For my part not, i don't wanna a wave of companies doing nothing and destroying the audio.

Probably good it is the end of the discussion for you, since you made your feelings and thoughts completely clear a few posts back and, I hazard to guess, you will change precisely zero minds if you proceed. And while you certainly won’t change your mind, notice no one tried.

Feb 1, 2021 at 3:55 AM Post #1,639 of 2,329

Buy the S1 and don't update to MQA support, problem solved.

Feb 2, 2021 at 8:25 AM Post #1,642 of 2,329
I just cannot decide if I should buy this and use it with my iphone or buy a DAP.
Can anyone tell me which of the popular DAPs (Fiio, iBasso) would be comparable to this one if I only care about SQ?
In the S1 they gave you a whole lot of the sound of their PAW DAPs for a lot less money, but most everyone who has the PAW6000 has been happy with it, I think its great https://www.head-fi.org/threads/lotoo-paw-6000-2019.907416/ I can't speak to others on the market now and only ever had a Pono and Fiio X5II prior to this.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2021 at 8:47 AM Post #1,643 of 2,329
I just cannot decide if I should buy this and use it with my iphone or buy a DAP.
Can anyone tell me which of the popular DAPs (Fiio, iBasso) would be comparable to this one if I only care about SQ?
Is up to you and your budget. If you don't have hard to drive IEM's the S1 is a great affordable option.
And the fact that has no battery inside it should last you many years.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2021 at 9:14 AM Post #1,644 of 2,329
Dongles are closer to DAPs in terms of SQ than you might think. “It’s cheaper, so it must not be as good” is what a lot of people think. Take a DAP and strip the screen, battery, WiFi and BT chips, Processor, RAM, storage, etc. and put what’s left in a smaller chassis. There’s your dongle. Best part is the dongle also works across multiple devices and you don’t have to worry about it being charged and every time you upgrade your phone you get a faster user experience. FiiO Android-based DAPs for example you’re locked into Android 7 and a low/mid end processor forever.

Buy the dongle and get your feet wet, then buy a DAP if it doesn’t meet your needs. Dongles are much cheaper, so you’d only be out a few bucks if you resell.

Feb 2, 2021 at 11:09 AM Post #1,646 of 2,329
Dongles are closer to DAPs in terms of SQ than you might think. “It’s cheaper, so it must not be as good” is what a lot of people think. Take a DAP and strip the screen, battery, WiFi and BT chips, Processor, RAM, storage, etc. and put what’s left in a smaller chassis. There’s your dongle. Best part is the dongle also works across multiple devices and you don’t have to worry about it being charged and every time you upgrade your phone you get a faster user experience. FiiO Android-based DAPs for example you’re locked into Android 7 and a low/mid end processor forever.

Buy the dongle and get your feet wet, then buy a DAP if it doesn’t meet your needs. Dongles are much cheaper, so you’d only be out a few bucks if you resell.
I think this is all true and that is good advice, and so by extension for @shinbonjan I would say it’s as much about managing the media itself. In my case the DAP has a 1T card so I can have a good chunk of what I’d have in a 2T capacity home file setup at the ready, importantly all lossless FLAC including hi res. For a phone, that is like 256G Iphone for me anyway, I don’t stream, so the phone is lossy and not flac when it gets used with the S1. So maybe think about what you’d want to accomplish storage/file type/lossy v. lossless/streaming/convenience as a starting place and if your phone gives you what you need and you don’t have an issue using its battery when you play music you’d mostly be good to go I’d imagine.

Feb 2, 2021 at 11:24 AM Post #1,647 of 2,329
Yes, that is why I am unsure what to do. Dedicated device has bunch of pros, but price is a con.
200 for Paw is not a lot. I was looking into M11 first...now I am thinking about buying M11Pro which is 700 + sd card. And that is a lot more than 200.
As for the headphones, I am using Dunu 2000j and Fidelio X2, planning to buy Fiio FH7.

The worst thing is - I cannot try out the devices anywhere. So relying on the advices from you, fine forum people.

Feb 2, 2021 at 12:09 PM Post #1,648 of 2,329
Yes, that is why I am unsure what to do. Dedicated device has bunch of pros, but price is a con.
200 for Paw is not a lot. I was looking into M11 first...now I am thinking about buying M11Pro which is 700 + sd card. And that is a lot more than 200.
As for the headphones, I am using Dunu 2000j and Fidelio X2, planning to buy Fiio FH7.

The worst thing is - I cannot try out the devices anywhere. So relying on the advices from you, fine forum people.
Just buy the S1, you will definitely love it, if not you can call me names.

Feb 2, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #1,649 of 2,329
Shinbojan

Will spare you a long email and I've posted in this forum in the past about tihs, but I own both the PAW6000 and the S1 from Lotoo.
Having come out of other DAP's and using other DAC/AMP combos, I am happy with both, due to similarities but find there is a time and place to own both, and reasons having both make sense.
I agree with other posters here, if you think you might be interested in the PAW6000 or PAW Gold Touch from Lotoo but not sure due the price, get the S1 first, see if the Lotoo "sound" is what you like (every listener has a "sound" profile they are chasing) and if its close or is what you like but now what the convenience of a DAP, then look at the Lotoo DAP's and then go up and down from there with other companies products.
You won't go wrong starting with the S1, as I've seen many sold quickly in the Head Fi Classifieds by people who did exactly what I mention above.
but you may find as I did, there is a time and place for using and owning both
But as always YMMV.
Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back