Lotoo PAW Gold Touch - Touchscreen, 4.4mm Bal, USB DAC, Bluetooth
Jul 10, 2022 at 12:46 PM Post #2,942 of 3,519
Very impressed with my PAW6K, I also have a Cayin N8ii on the DAP side of things.

Can folks who own(ed) both share their observations on how the two DAPs compare?

Trying to determine if the difference is big enough to warrant an upgrade (I am under the impression that it isn't); Cheers!

Jul 11, 2022 at 4:35 PM Post #2,943 of 3,519
Very impressed with my PAW6K, I also have a Cayin N8ii on the DAP side of things.

Can folks who own(ed) both share their observations on how the two DAPs compare?

Trying to determine if the difference is big enough to warrant an upgrade (I am under the impression that it isn't); Cheers!

I had an LPGT before the PAW6K came out, when it did I always wanted to see how close they were, I eventually ended up buying one some time later but didn't like it at all in comparison so I sold it on, this was with identical settings PEQ etc (XRC off to make it fair) I'm not an iem user at all and the comparisons where with focal Stella. The PAW6K sounded quite boring and lacking, the sound stage was quite narrow too in comparison.

Jul 12, 2022 at 1:05 PM Post #2,944 of 3,519
I had an LPGT before the PAW6K came out, when it did I always wanted to see how close they were, I eventually ended up buying one some time later but didn't like it at all in comparison so I sold it on, this was with identical settings PEQ etc (XRC off to make it fair) I'm not an iem user at all and the comparisons where with focal Stella. The PAW6K sounded quite boring and lacking, the sound stage was quite narrow too in comparison.
I have similar impressions.

I never had a chance to listen to the N8-2, but I got to know the 6k first.
It seemed to me not bad and I even thought about buying it.
However, when I listened to LPGT, I realized that this is what is needed.
It very organically complemented and developed the 6k sound in all directions.
So it is noticeably better. At the same time, I should note that I practically do not use headphones, only iem, and I do not use any equalizer.
But when I tested different headphones, they sounded great and I can say that if it is not a very heavy model. LPGT can drive a very different models. I listened LPGT with Empyrean, HD800, HE4, etc.

Jul 22, 2022 at 2:20 PM Post #2,945 of 3,519
Sorry guys, I'm stuck trying to use my android phone as the music source. When I plug it in, the DAP wants to be the source, i.e. 'USB Audio' message pops up instead of the 4 icons where I can choose Phone DAC.

Any help is appreciated!

Jul 22, 2022 at 4:25 PM Post #2,946 of 3,519
Sorry guys, I'm stuck trying to use my android phone as the music source. When I plug it in, the DAP wants to be the source, i.e. 'USB Audio' message pops up instead of the 4 icons where I can choose Phone DAC.

Any help is appreciated!
Hey there. This is highly dependent on the cable you use. If you are getting that message, it’s not the right USB protocol engaged between the 2 devices. The one that came with the LGPT should work but you likely need a USB A female to C male adapter. I can be quite a hit or miss with USB C to C cables so maybe someone here has one easily accessible that works? I tried with 2 old cables I have, even the OTG one that came with the Lotoo Paw S1 and those don’t work between my Android phone and LGPT ti.

Unsure if you need OTG or not depending on your phone.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2022 at 4:56 PM Post #2,947 of 3,519

Any help is appreciated!
got the same message popped out when connecting LPGT to an iPhone using the iPhone charging cable.

WhatsApp Image 2022-07-22 at 4.47.54 PM.jpeg
Hey there. This is highly dependent on the cable you use. If you are getting that message, it’s not the right USB protocol engaged between the 2 devices. The one that came with the LGPT should work but you likely need a USB A female to C male adapter. I can be quite a hit or miss with USB C to C cables so maybe someone here has one easily accessible that works? I tried with 2 old cables I have, even the OTG one that came with the Lotoo Paw S1 and those don’t work between my Android phone and LGPT ti.

Unsure if you need OTG or not depending on your phone.

perhaps this cable would work:

Screenshot 2022-07-22 165350.png

Jul 22, 2022 at 5:58 PM Post #2,948 of 3,519
got the same message popped out when connecting LPGT to an iPhone using the iPhone charging cable.

perhaps this cable would work:

It won’t work with the Apple device stock cable, you need an apple camera kit

https://store.apple.com/xf/xc/product/MD821AM/A
1658526945866.png

connected to the Apple IOS device the lotoo LGPT cable and the LGPT.

The cable you linked from Lotoo looks the same as the one I have with my Lotoo Paw S1 and it doesn’t work between my Razer Phone 2 and the LGPT. The Audioquest dragontail https://www.audioquest.com/accessories/usb-extension/dragontail-c-extender and the iFi dongle cable https://ifi-audio.com/products/otg-cables/ both work with the stock Lotoo LGPT cable.

It’s always super annoying not knowing what cable works with what device without adapters but this is not a Lotoo issue.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2022 at 4:05 PM Post #2,950 of 3,519
What are your opinions on the best pairing headphones to use with Lotoo Paw Gold Touch?

Jul 25, 2022 at 5:41 PM Post #2,951 of 3,519
What are your opinions on the best pairing headphones to use with Lotoo Paw Gold Touch?

20210531_150118.jpg

In general, the best bet is to stick with headphones that have higher sensitivity and require a greater proportion of voltage over current. Like most DAPs, the struggle kicks in with headphones that need either a lot of power or a lot of current. That said, there are some planars that work fairly well with the LPGT, like the Arya. For my money though, nothing I've heard sounds as good and loses as little switching from my desktop rig as the HD800S. It's one of the few full-sized cans that I will opt to use with my DAP.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2022 at 6:03 PM Post #2,952 of 3,519
Hello people, long time without any contact.

I am not sure exactly where to look, but as an owner of one LPGT, and absolutely adore the sound of this DAP, had throwed away (in my drawers) many other DAPs, and still, one big issue for my use, is the lack of Android.
I am not leaving LPGT or stop to using it, but for streaming, even knowing that I can use it as a DAC, it's not ideal for my use case.
I have some not great Android DAP, and they are not new models, and I am looking for something that it wouldn't be a piece of one continent in size, or a tank (even that in my head, the LPGT is already one or near one). So, something with Android, not giant like Fiio M17 or Shanling M8/M9...

And beside the question with size, OS, updated hardware, the biggest IF, is the sound signature. I would like something closest to the LPGT, and maybe it's not really possible, but if someone know or like some DAP in this way and can recommend, I appreciate.

One model that I saw and I would buy, but I have no idea about the sound, is the Shanling M7. And probably in second, the Hiby RS6, this one, a bit bigger/heavier than the other.

Jul 25, 2022 at 6:03 PM Post #2,953 of 3,519
20210531_150118.jpg

In general, the best bet is to stick with headphones that have higher sensitivity and require a greater proportion of voltage over current. Like most DAPs, the struggle kicks in with headphones that need either a lot of power or a lot of current. That said, there are some planars that work fairly well with the LPGT, like the Arya. For my money though, nothing I've heard sounds as good and loses as little switching from my desktop rig as the HD800S. It's one of the few full-sized cans that I will opt to use with my DAP.
What proportion of voltage does Shure SRH1540 use?

Jul 25, 2022 at 6:42 PM Post #2,954 of 3,519
What proportion of voltage does Shure SRH1540 use?

Here are two graphs (courtesy of @Currawong) that show the difference in power requirements for two different headphones, conveniently visualized and separated out by into voltage and current.

The HD800 is well-driven by the LPGT, while the LCD-5 is decidedly not. Easy to spot why: the 5 needs much more current as you approach higher volume. While no one should be listening at 120 db, that level does ensure sufficient headroom for EQ, quiet recordings, various listening levels, and so on.

1658787820468.png

1658787930558.png

Using 46 ohm resistance and 99 db/mW for sensitivity (according to the specs I found online), you get the following sadly unvisualized info:

1658788320502.png

So, the 1540 requires roughly double the current, but roughly one third the voltage and only about 60% the total power as the HD800 does at 120 db. Proportionately, the 1540 needs about 75% more current than the LCD-2C (what I consider as a headphone that pairs just well enough with the LPGT), so without hearing them for myself, I would predict that the 1540 wouldn't be a good match with a DAP.

If you have other headphones in mind, you can check their power requirements here: http://www.digizoid.com/headphones-power.html

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2022 at 8:05 PM Post #2,955 of 3,519
Here are two graphs (courtesy of @Currawong) that show the difference in power requirements for two different headphones, conveniently visualized and separated out by into voltage and current.

The HD800 is well-driven by the LPGT, while the LCD-5 is decidedly not. Easy to spot why: the 5 needs much more current as you approach higher volume. While no one should be listening at 120 db, that level does ensure sufficient headroom for EQ, quiet recordings, various listening levels, and so on.

1658787820468.png

1658787930558.png

Using 46 ohm resistance and 99 db/mW for sensitivity (according to the specs I found online), you get the following sadly unvisualized info:

1658788320502.png

So, the 1540 requires roughly double the current, but roughly one third the voltage and only about 60% the total power as the HD800 does at 120 db. Proportionately, the 1540 needs about 75% more current than the LCD-2C (what I consider as a headphone that pairs just well enough with the LPGT), so without hearing them for myself, I would predict that the 1540 wouldn't be a good match with a DAP.

If you have other headphones in mind, you can check their power requirements here: http://www.digizoid.com/headphones-power.html
The LPGT has more power than Sony NW-WM1Z, but I prefer my SRH1540 with the Sony.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back