Lotoo PAW Gold Touch - Touchscreen, 4.4mm Bal, USB DAC, Bluetooth
Jan 29, 2022 at 5:50 PM Post #2,761 of 3,519
Great combo. I am sure that LPGT can do more. But if you need to get the full potential of Mest 2, then LPGT is a great source. And maybe I look old-fashioned, but without any equalizer. Just good tips and good music.
Good rec! I've been seriously considering the upgrade. It's either going to be Cayin c9 addition with dx312 or LPGT.

Jan 29, 2022 at 6:00 PM Post #2,762 of 3,519
Good rec! I've been seriously considering the upgrade. It's either going to be Cayin c9 addition with dx312 or LPGT.
Much depends on your usage scenarios.
IBasso has android, streamings, etc. But noticeably larger in size.
When it comes to sound, without taking into account other nuances, I would choose LPGT.
DX300 is good, but not better than Touch.
Mest 2 and DX300 will be good combo.
At the same time, LPGT will create a great reserve for further upgrade of headphones. For example, to Mason or Traillii, etc)

Feb 1, 2022 at 7:04 AM Post #2,763 of 3,519
And maybe I look old-fashioned, but without any equalizer. Just good tips and good music.
The purpose of Auto eq is not to tweak the good music but to adjust your headphone to the harman curve.
The curve is, in fact, a careful balance between individualization and a certain conception of mass appeal, founded on the same psychoacoustic principles that underpin both strands of research.
Read more here: https://www.headphonesty.com/2020/04/harman-target-curves-part-1/

Feb 1, 2022 at 8:57 AM Post #2,764 of 3,519
Much depends on your usage scenarios.
IBasso has android, streamings, etc. But noticeably larger in size.
When it comes to sound, without taking into account other nuances, I would choose LPGT.
DX300 is good, but not better than Touch.
Mest 2 and DX300 will be good combo.
At the same time, LPGT will create a great reserve for further upgrade of headphones. For example, to Mason or Traillii, etc)
I recently purchased a used LPGT and I am very pleased with his sound. My combo LPGT + Mest MKii sounds great I don't think headphones with bass armatures will give the same effect. I did not hear Mason or Traillii, but I think they won't be much better than Mest MKii that would pay 3-4 times more. It's my opinion

Feb 1, 2022 at 3:28 PM Post #2,765 of 3,519
The purpose of Auto eq is not to tweak the good music but to adjust your headphone to the harman curve.

Read more here: https://www.headphonesty.com/2020/04/harman-target-curves-part-1/
Sorry, but this looks like Crin's attempts to make the headphones sound "normal", which for some reason sound worse than Moondrop.
In any case, everyone is free to play the games they see fit, but I'm not praying for the Harman curve, and my LPGT doesn't need an equalizer. It sounds great without it.

Feb 1, 2022 at 3:42 PM Post #2,766 of 3,519
I recently purchased a used LPGT and I am very pleased with his sound. My combo LPGT + Mest MKii sounds great I don't think headphones with bass armatures will give the same effect. I did not hear Mason or Traillii, but I think they won't be much better than Mest MKii that would pay 3-4 times more. It's my opinion
Don't you think that all BA (write any other technology) iems sound the same?
Then why evaluate their sound by technology and not by the result it achieves - sound?

Suppose no BA driver is able to give the bass that gives DD. What's next?
The BA technology must die out or finally leave this part of the range. But for some reason this does not happen.

When it comes to the effect in general - obviously, it is logical to contrast the Mest 2 model from UM - Mason FS.
Do the manufacturers themselves believe that BA does not give the same effect? Obviously not.
Mest 2 beautiful iems, and to be fair, UM did a great job. However, I personally preferred the more accurate sound of Mason 3. But of course, Mest 2 is a little tastier, so I understand why people like them.

Is it worth paying 3-4 times more? Well, there are headphones better than Mest 2. Are they worth the overpayment? Everyone decides for himself. For some, Mest 2 are only slightly better than Moondrop, etc, but they cost much more, so they are overrated.
Personally, I do not regret that I paid for Trailli. And I have enough of them)
But maybe when something much better for me appears, I will go to upgrade.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2022 at 9:57 AM Post #2,768 of 3,519
What is the milliamp and voltage output of LPGT? How do the pair balanced with Shure SRH1540 headphones?

Feb 7, 2022 at 6:56 AM Post #2,769 of 3,519
What is the milliamp and voltage output of LPGT? How do the pair balanced with Shure SRH1540 headphones?
Shure is not very demanding on the source, so I think that LPGT will be able to fully unleash their potential. Another thing is that there will not be enough such headphones for LPGT. They will significantly limit the potential of the source.

Feb 8, 2022 at 10:14 AM Post #2,770 of 3,519
Shure is not very demanding on the source, so I think that LPGT will be able to fully unleash their potential. Another thing is that there will not be enough such headphones for LPGT. They will significantly limit the potential of the source.
Can you name other easy to drive audiophile headphones?

Feb 8, 2022 at 11:17 AM Post #2,771 of 3,519

I've tested a bunch of headphones with my LPGT, more than I've listed below and most of which I own. While they never sound as good as though do on my desktop rig (Benchmark DAC3-B to Benchmark HPA4), many of them sound excellent and some of them I use frequently with the DAP. Here's a list of what I think pair very well with the LPGT.

• Focal Elex and Focal Clear. There is some loss of dynamic impact here, but these Focals have plenty to spare.
  • Quad ERA-1. One of my favorites to use, as the EQ helps fill in a dip the headphones have.
  • Audeze LCD-2F. But only with the "Headphones" EQ. This changes the overall sound signature, but it's pleasant. Without EQ, they sound a bit too thin.
  • Audeze LCD-2C. The slightly thinner presentation kind of works with these dark headphones.
  • Sennheiser HD800S. Fantastic pairing. Just loses some of that famous soundstage width. Several of the preset EQs sound great with the headphone too, giving you lots of listening options. My other favorite.
  • HiFiMan Arya v2. Shocking but true. Objectively harder to drive than anything else I mentioned, but they sound excellent with the DAP.
  • Audeze SINE C. Great pairing, but the headphones are out of production.
  • Philips X2HR. Great pairing, but who's going to buy $150 headphones to go with a $3200 DAP?
  • Sennheiser HD600/650/6XX/660S. All great with the DAP, though the weakest is the 650, as it needs more control in the bass department.
To generalize what I've found, the DAP handles headphones that need high voltage better than those that need high current. In other words, dynamic driver headphones, even those with higher impedance, fair better than planar headphones, unless they are especially easy to drive. The Arya is the exception, but it probably still works for the following reasons. The other big exception is the ZMF Atticus, which fails because of the following reasons.

Headphones without mid-range shout or treble glare do better. Those problems are aggravated by amps without the power to really control the drivers. For the same reason, headphones without boomy bass do better. To put this another way, since you'll lose a bit of control and gain a bit of smearing using a DAP instead of a desktop amp, you'll want to start with a headphone that has a clean and fast sound or a headphone that has a warmer, less treble-forward sound, but still has fast note decay. That's all IMO, but I hope it helps.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2022 at 2:40 PM Post #2,772 of 3,519
Um, interesting question.
First, let me clarify that I did not mean that LPGT will not have enough power for Shure, the fact is that the maximum quality of the headphones is below the potential of the player.

Usually I do not use full-size headphones.
But, I can agree with the previous speaker on the Senn HD800s. I used this combo for the review, but noted the combo is really great if you need something reference.
  • Focal - Clear, Stellia and Elegia. Utopia. Really good combo. Wide soundstage, good accuracy and openness. The price speaks to the quality, the question is how good sound you want to achieve and how thick your wallet is.
  • LCD2 Classic - inferior to Elegia. In addition, they are harder to drive. And they are heavier. About 0.7 kg, if I'm not mistaken. Which can be tiring even with excellent ergonomics. In addition, after the Elegia or Stalia, they are a bit more compact soundstage, more fatter and muddy.
  • The LCD-XC is better, but still loses to Stelia.
  • Hifiman Arya. Also a very good option. Although in my opinion, he is more music-loving. Tasteful, a little warm. The case when you do not want to analyze, but just enjoy the music.
  • iBasso SR2. They are not easy to find, but the model is really good if you have a limited budget and you can use open headphones. In my opinion, they do not leave a chance to Senn 600/650 / 660s, Shure, Philips, etc.
  • Fostex TH610 and TH900 mk2. Good case if you want some emotions. 900 better, 610 some simpler. But if you want to save some money...
  • MrSpeakers Ether C. They emphasize the bass a little and are more comfortable on the trebles. But still not far from the reference. And this headphones is some hard to drive. The player drives them, but I wouldn't use this option all the time. Just like Audeze. Rather as a supplement to a desktop system when you sometimes want to take headphones and go out on the terrace, look at the mountains and the sea, light a cigar and drink good whiskey. Of course, you can go just to another room, but I'm afraid without the mountains, the sea, whiskey and cigars, the sound experience will be a little worse.
If I had to choose one of these headphones, it would be Stelia or Utopia.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2022 at 2:57 PM Post #2,773 of 3,519
I’m listening my IEMs with LPGT and I’m astonished.
Mest Mk2 and Thunder pair so good😍
Dunno how can I come back to M8. 😭
I think I have the answer. No way)
I listened to the M8 and it is noticeably simpler than the DX300. And LPGT leaves him no chance.
Except when there are detailed headphones and you need to kill that detail for something and add weight.

Feb 8, 2022 at 3:01 PM Post #2,774 of 3,519
Have you got news about New Lotoo model?
LPGT is stunning but I miss streaming app
If you have the time and inspiration, as well as a little money, you can buy, for example, DX240, and have streaming services on it. And connect LPGT to it as a USB-DAC)
I know it's a perversion))

Feb 8, 2022 at 4:15 PM Post #2,775 of 3,519
If you have the time and inspiration, as well as a little money, you can buy, for example, DX240, and have streaming services on it. And connect LPGT to it as a USB-DAC)
I know it's a perversion))
Wouldn't most phones fill the same function? I mean, one would just be looking for a digital signal to feed the LPGT, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back