Lotoo PAW Gold Touch - Touchscreen, 4.4mm Bal, USB DAC, Bluetooth
Apr 1, 2018 at 10:53 PM Post #136 of 3,520
I don't want a dap with Tidal or any other service. First, I want to pay to own music, not to rent it. Second, I want to be able to know how is the mastering (peak values, dr, spectogram graphs, etc.).

Pure audio devices like WM1A/Z and this one is the way to go.

Only with that PMEQ this one surpasses Sony offerings. If only also had a deesser.
No need for pure audio and streaming to be mutually exclusive, especially at a $3k price. You can easily have a dedicated pure music mode as some DAPs do while also catering to the streaming side. Then you can drool about the specs of your music files while having the ability to discover new music and play enjoy it during offline play as well. All without having to spend $1000k+ extra to (hopefully) re-purchase your entire music library and anything else that you might want in the future.

Apr 2, 2018 at 4:28 AM Post #137 of 3,520
No need for pure audio and streaming to be mutually exclusive, especially at a $3k price. You can easily have a dedicated pure music mode as some DAPs do while also catering to the streaming side. Then you can drool about the specs of your music files while having the ability to discover new music and play enjoy it during offline play as well. All without having to spend $1000k+ extra to (hopefully) re-purchase your entire music library and anything else that you might want in the future.

My thoughts exactly... I can’t count the number of artist I have discovered thanks to streaming, and the money I saved...this is the way... even AK understands this and at last Tidal has arrived on their DAPs. I only purchase the greatest albums in high res format, not for bit rate but the dynamic range of 24bit recordings. One day we’ll get master quality through streaming, no questions.

Apr 2, 2018 at 6:32 AM Post #138 of 3,520
Apr 2, 2018 at 8:32 AM Post #139 of 3,520
Last December, many sites reported potential bankruptcy of Tidal in 6 months. I did not hear Tidal raised enough fund for operation after July this year...
https://www.engadget.com/2017/12/13/tidal-jay-z-financial-trouble/
https://9to5mac.com/2017/12/13/tidal-out-of-cash-may-close/

Yeah well, new industries have their struggles, still is the way of the future... right now higher res streaming is not catching yet, thus Spotify and Deezer not going CD quality. Mainstream doesn’t care for quality above what Spotify and Deezer can provide, which can be understandable as most people listen through speakers, headphones or IEM that are midfi or below. They don’t see any difference when quality is greater, which makes sense as even with better gear, critical listening is warranted to really enjoy the difference.

At the same time audiophiles mostly don’t care for streaming which doesn’t help Tidal take off... this will change.

Apr 2, 2018 at 9:04 AM Post #140 of 3,520
Yeah well, new industries have their struggles, still is the way of the future... right now higher res streaming is not catching yet, thus Spotify and Deezer not going CD quality. Mainstream doesn’t care for quality above what Spotify and Deezer can provide, which can be understandable as most people listen through speakers, headphones or IEM that are midfi or below. They don’t see any difference when quality is greater, which makes sense as even with better gear, critical listening is warranted to really enjoy the difference.

At the same time audiophiles mostly don’t care for streaming which doesn’t help Tidal take off... this will change.

With there already being murmurings that record company exec's may be considering pulling 24/192 offerings from the market (so they would not be allowing the public to have the best quality the labels have in their vaults), it may be that Spotify and Deezer have other reasons for not moving to CD quality. Streaming is not 'all-good-for-everyone' (you didn't say that; I'm just saying it here). There are pros to streaming, in terms of users gaining access to a larger library than they could ever afford to purchase, but there are cons, too, in terms of data-mining, loss of privacy, precariousness of access, never-ending fees, etc. And pros & cons for the service-providers and content-owners, too.

Anyway, this is a bit off-topic, and in danger of derailing the thread. What I will say, getting back to the DAP, is that I personally think it is a GOOD thing if Lotoo are keeping RF streaming out of the PureAudio mode. Not that streaming can't sound fantastic, in the right set-up, but that the whole flipping point of a PureAudio mode is to minimise the amount of running processes (both hardware and software) to get as close as possible to maximising the potential SQ of the DAP. Those that want streaming and are happy to run 10 or 20 more processes can still have their cake, by choosing not to use the PureAudio mode.

Apr 2, 2018 at 10:11 AM Post #141 of 3,520
With there already being murmurings that record company exec's may be considering pulling 24/192 offerings from the market (so they would not be allowing the public to have the best quality the labels have in their vaults), it may be that Spotify and Deezer have other reasons for not moving to CD quality. Streaming is not 'all-good-for-everyone' (you didn't say that; I'm just saying it here). There are pros to streaming, in terms of users gaining access to a larger library than they could ever afford to purchase, but there are cons, too, in terms of data-mining, loss of privacy, precariousness of access, never-ending fees, etc. And pros & cons for the service-providers and content-owners, too.

Anyway, this is a bit off-topic, and in danger of derailing the thread. What I will say, getting back to the DAP, is that I personally think it is a GOOD thing if Lotoo are keeping RF streaming out of the PureAudio mode. Not that streaming can't sound fantastic, in the right set-up, but that the whole flipping point of a PureAudio mode is to minimise the amount of running processes (both hardware and software) to get as close as possible to maximising the potential SQ of the DAP. Those that want streaming and are happy to run 10 or 20 more processes can still have their cake, by choosing not to use the PureAudio mode.
Exactly... no reason they can't have a PureAudio mode as well as an Android based OS side with streaming. Plus the argument that they're exclusively making it a purist DAP is moot since it has Bluetooth which is lossy by nature. Bluetooth, touchscreen, but no streaming makes no sense to me.

Apr 2, 2018 at 10:15 AM Post #142 of 3,520
Deezer HiFi streams lossless... no HIRes..
It does not supports WASAPI Exclusive mode, so the audio signal will be processed by Window's built-in audio mixer before being sent to your sound card.( source reddit).
Lossless streaming on Mac/windows only (beta version).... not on mobile platform...
offline version is coming soon...
https://www.deezer.com/en/offers/hifi

Apr 2, 2018 at 10:52 AM Post #143 of 3,520
Just posted a full PAW Gold Touch slideshow (48 slides) in English, along with 20 pictures from the show and an exclusive Video clip of GUI interface: https://twister6.com/2018/04/02/lotoo-paw-gold-touch-the-introduction/

16.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2018 at 12:30 PM Post #145 of 3,520
Apr 2, 2018 at 12:37 PM Post #146 of 3,520
Apr 2, 2018 at 1:02 PM Post #147 of 3,520
Ok, impressive, damn this one wins me over by PCM upconvert to DSD and 500mW power....W00T!! 10 hours playback. I want this +HD800/820 for my music pleasure

When can I order ?

You mean, you want this while waiting another year or two before Walkman Anniversary edition is released :wink:

Apr 2, 2018 at 1:02 PM Post #148 of 3,520
Thanks for the preview.

Funny thing to note in the pictures : the anti-finger print coating picture.
Just for science: fingers mostly leave greasy materials on screens, so the coating needs to be oleophobic to be easy to clean. The fact that water droplets don't spread on the screen only demonstrates that the coating is hydrophobic, which is not the same as being oleophobic (if it's both it's even better to remain clean). :wink:

Apr 2, 2018 at 1:06 PM Post #150 of 3,520
You know what ? I have been waiting for a 500mW Walkman for a while :D kakakaka

LOL good luck with that, what with Sony's insistence on the 'glory' of their S-Master chips :wink:

Lotoo seem to be gearing their power output (LPG and LPG2) more towards cans users, which is an 'interesting' philosophy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back