Lot of Head-Fi love going on
Dec 31, 2005 at 6:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

socrates63

Headphoneus Supremus
It seems Head-Fi has been receiving a lot of attention (relatively speaking) from the press. The latest issue of the e-magazine ToneAudio also gives pub to our beloved second family. There's even a new section called Headphone Planet written by Aaron Kovics (immtbiker, correct?). I vaguely recall him posting a while back that he was doing some writing -- this must be it.

It's pretty cool that this community is receiving attention from mainstream hi-fi press as head amps by RSA and Singlepower are receiving praise from the likes of Stereophile and others. Good thing Jude recently upgraded the forum servers as this can only mean a rush of new users.

I suppose, as with anything else in life, change is inevitable even for an Internet community like this one. I hope the more established members and everyone else as a matter fact will embrace the new growth and not turn into curdmugeons lamenting the ol' days when things were better. I've only been here a year and still feel like a newbie but it's fun to see, and help out on occasion, people even more clueless than me.
biggrin.gif

Long live Head-Fi and may it never lose its warmth, generosity and character as it grows and evolves... (I'm beginning to sound like I'm writing an obituary so I better stop here)
biggrin.gif

Dec 31, 2005 at 6:37 AM Post #3 of 35
yep this is lounge material.
here's the honest truth from me - BRING IT ON! the more publicity, the better I say!

Dec 31, 2005 at 6:42 AM Post #4 of 35
Head-fi is a lively, vibrant and downright amazing forum that deserves all the attention it's getting.
smily_headphones1.gif
A *website*... about headphones... that often actually gets my heart pumping faster and holds my interest better than an A-list Hollywood movie. Great stuff.

Dec 31, 2005 at 8:29 AM Post #5 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
yep this is lounge material.
here's the honest truth from me - BRING IT ON! the more publicity, the better I say!

Spoken like a true NYorker!
tongue.gif

May the powers that be move this thread to the Lounge

Dec 31, 2005 at 9:28 AM Post #6 of 35
For newbies to the whole balanced headphone scene, read Aaron's article. I've been consciously ignoring all the talk of balanced this, balanced that, but I had to read Aaron's inaugural piece. It's a short primer on what balanced headphones are explained in noob-friendly language. Maybe a balanced setup is in my future for 2006.

Nice piece, Aaron. I look forward to future write-ups.

Dec 31, 2005 at 9:32 AM Post #7 of 35
Well headfi came from headwize and this we all know..

the real question is what site will make this hobby even bigger? headfi will be replaced in the long run by some other site, just as history is shown before.
Nomatter what I STILL Can't believe Grado made a headphone for us! thats so amazing considering so little of the sale is from/related to this board..But still shows so major panache on headfi's side

Dec 31, 2005 at 9:40 AM Post #9 of 35
I'm excited for more people to finally see the light and scrap those white iBuds. With more people there can only be more opinions and more learning. I agree. Bring it on.

Dec 31, 2005 at 9:49 AM Post #10 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by iSleipnir
I'm excited for more people to finally see the light and scrap those white iBuds. With more people there can only be more opinions and more learning. I agree. Bring it on.

I don't think they will disappear anytime. There are just so many people out there who "love" to hear music on the go but who don't care about the sound. I hear it everytime when I talk about my hobby with them - they just can't understand it even when they have heard it. And then the next group thinks it's a great sound but they will never pay so much for it (although their iPod is pretty expensive but this is a fashion-product and who can really understand the price of fashion
biggrin.gif
)

BTW: I like head-fi a lot too because nobody is really agressive even when someone mentioned Bose
biggrin.gif

And the fact that there is a thing like the HF-1 is just amazing to me...

Dec 31, 2005 at 9:54 AM Post #11 of 35
the more that people understand that there are more choices out there other than ipod buds, the better it is for all of us. it could benefit all of us through better and possibly cheaper choices in headphones and amps or something as simple as getting the word out that ipod buds suck.

Dec 31, 2005 at 10:20 AM Post #12 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
i just hope the forum retains what little honesty it has left.

Same hopes over here.

Dec 31, 2005 at 10:21 AM Post #13 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by xxlMusikfreak
I don't think they will disappear anytime. There are just so many people out there who "love" to hear music on the go but who don't care about the sound. I hear it everytime when I talk about my hobby with them - they just can't understand it even when they have heard it. And then the next group thinks it's a great sound but they will never pay so much for it (although their iPod is pretty expensive but this is a fashion-product and who can really understand the price of fashion
biggrin.gif
)

BTW: I like head-fi a lot too because nobody is really agressive even when someone mentioned Bose
biggrin.gif

And the fact that there is a thing like the HF-1 is just amazing to me...

The fact that most people don't care much about good, but expensive sound is something to be accepted. Head-fi-ism is just one hobby among many. You can't expect everybody to be as excited about your model railway as you are. But people will care, if you suggest them good audio solutions at low prices.

Dec 31, 2005 at 3:46 PM Post #14 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
Head-fi is a lively, vibrant and downright amazing forum that deserves all the attention it's getting.
smily_headphones1.gif
Great stuff.

I've participated in many forums for computer hardware, etc. I have to agree that Head-fi is one of the best I've seen. Good administration, helpful people with a decent spread of knowledge, and a fair amount of tolerance.

I'm pretty happy with my portable listening rig...any improvements I could make now would improve things only by small percentages...yet I keep sticking around
orphsmile.gif

Dec 31, 2005 at 5:24 PM Post #15 of 35
It was only a matter of time, with the proliferation of DAPs out there.
Head-Fi's recognition is long overdue IMO - I've learned a great deal since joining here.
Let's hope the increased boomage of new recruits will do their part to become contributors, before bandwidth increases to the point where the contributions may become mandatory. I feel I've gotten more than my money's worth here just by avoiding purchasing blunders - and save the "comments" on my rig
wink.gif

Happy New year to all!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back