Lost/Stolen Package UPS - Happy Ending :)
Jan 11, 2008 at 11:57 PM Post #17 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes. that worked, hitting 0. it's not even listed as an option. very sneaky. obviously UPS does not want to talk to people by phone. but i did manage to speak to someone. they admitted the mistake and said they are going to try to reclaim the package and then redeliver it to me. i'm not optimistic. but we'll see. should know more by early next week.

Good luck! Hope you next post is that you are enjoying the RS-2's!
biggrin.gif

Jan 14, 2008 at 12:43 AM Post #18 of 105
I handle UPS screw ups all the time at my work. They're phone system is nice because you can say "Talk to a person" (you'll have to say it twice) and you'll get someone on the line.
The first thing they do is "call tag" it from the place it was delivered to. Meaning have a driver makes 3 attempts to pick it up.
If the address was incorrect on the shipping label, as far as UPS is concerned they're not responsible if you can't get the package back. They did what they were supposed to. It's a common misconception that the recipient has to sign for the package, in truth anyone can, and they don't care. You can ask all your shippers to put "release package only to ..." in the delivery notes field. Doesn't cost a cent.
If all else fails, you know where the package was sent to, just leave the guy/gal a polite letter explaining the mixup, and maybe they'll be honest enough to comply.

Jan 14, 2008 at 1:08 AM Post #19 of 105
Just an FYI for future reference:
Remember triple check the address, because UPS isn't forgiving with typos. They'll do the return pickup attempts, but won't want to comp you if you screwed up.
If you go to the UPS store to ship, ask to see the label they put on the box, or copy thereof for typos. This happened to my girlfriend last month, she said the lady even read the correct address back and typed the wrong one in. Luckily they got the package back for her. I chewed her out for not letting me ship it. (I'm so caring)
Also if worse comes to worst, keep complaining. Don't get me wrong, I hate people that bitch just to hear their own voice, but if you truly get screwed, don't get off the line till you've talked to at least 3 different people. Never be abusive, but make them explain to you what you did wrong and why they didn't screw up.
I was once on the phone for 40 minutes and had to talk 4 people when I received a damage notification, informing me that the "merchandise was missing, and packaging had been discarded". They refused to claim it because they said it had "insufficient packaging". I said for what, because the merchandise wasn't broken, it was gone! Finally got re-imbursed though.
Thanks for letting me vent.

Jan 14, 2008 at 1:51 AM Post #20 of 105
the shipping address was correct. it was just delivered to the wrong address. UPS already admitted this. they are now trying to reclaim the package and then redeliver it to me.

i assume if i don't get it by wednesday of this week, i'm not going to get it. then i will have to go through the claims process for a refund of the declared amount. not sure how much trouble that is or how long the process will take. i suspect it will be annoying and a complete hassle.

Jan 14, 2008 at 2:01 AM Post #21 of 105
I can only tell you from my experience at my job, the forms are short sweet to the point, and I've gotten payments in a couple weeks, not even that long sometimes. You shouldn't have any problems if they clearly screwed up.
If they can't get the package back, it might be the guy just wasn't home, in which case I would send the guy a letter asking to contact UPS and arrange a pick return pickup. I'm an optimist here, but a realist as well. He most likely googled the product and has thrown them on ebay by now. Let's just hope hasn't has plugged them in unamped to a lo-fi source. Makes me shudder.
Good luck though.

Jan 14, 2008 at 4:31 AM Post #23 of 105
This same situation happened to me last Friday. I was expecting headphones from JR.com: J&R Music and Computer World - Audio, Video, Digital Cameras, Camcorders, TV, DVD, iPods, Networking, Satellite, GPS, MP3, Notebooks, Apple , but UPS delivered my cans to the wrong address. I called J&R and they put a tracer on the package that day. I still got no word from them but I expect a call from them in the next couple of days. Hopefully either UPS can find and redeliver the package or if it's gone forever, J&R can ship another pair to me. In retrospect, I should have bugged UPS that day to get the driver to recover the package immediately.

UPDATE: Well the package was sent to my neighbors in the first place. They brought the package over today on Monday. I'm glad my cans are safe. I called J&R to let them know to cancel the UPS tracer. BTW, if any of you need to know the status of a UPS tracer, you can go to https://wwwapps.ups.com/webClaims/status?loc=en_US and type in your tracking number.

Jan 14, 2008 at 11:34 AM Post #24 of 105
Over here none of the deliver services leave things at the doorstep. Singapore Post, FedEx, UPS, DHL, TNT, all ask for a signature regardless of what option the shipper chose. How are they getting away with all that in the US? O.o

Jan 15, 2008 at 3:04 PM Post #27 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
.......then i will have to go through the claims process for a refund of the declared amount. not sure how much trouble that is or how long the process will take. i suspect it will be annoying and a complete hassle.

Should they be unable to recover the package, UPS will not be dealing directly with you.....this is all covered explicitly on the UPS web site, and it's the same way with USPS, also. They are not responsible to you as the receiver, because the shipper paid UPS for the service.

UPS: Lost Package Claims Process

"Shippers and receivers can report a lost package on UPS.com. Shippers are encouraged to report the lost package because claim notification letters are not sent to receivers"........

"If UPS is unable to locate the missing package, a Damage/Loss Notification claim letter will be mailed or faxed to the shipper; UPS will not send claim letters to a receiver"..........

"Once a claim has been approved, the payment will be processed. UPS will pay the lesser of purchase or replacement costs, up to the declared value. Typically, claim checks are mailed to the shipper's billing address on file three to five business days after UPS receives the required documentation."

Legally speaking, the seller is responsible for getting the item to you, and thus UPS needn't deal directly with you--only the seller/shipper.

Has the seller started the claims process yet? To be honest, until that happens, this might just go nowhere.

Jan 15, 2008 at 3:39 PM Post #28 of 105
sejarzo is right. It's the shipper that usually begins the claim and gets the check.

What does the tracking info say now? If the package has not been recovered and UPS has deemed it lost, you should expect a refund from the seller.

If UPS is still tracing the package, since it's not a Jarvik-7 or Green Mamba anti-venom, I think you should allow time enough for an attempt at recovery, then go from there: is the item undamaged, is the box still sealed, does it have a representative post mark from each continent, etc.

If you finally receive it and are unhappy with the condition, UPS may need to reinspect the package. Don't throw out any packing material at that point. Contact UPS if this is the case. UPS may pick it up, inspect it, and subsequently either pay the shipper or send the item back. Notice all the ifs. Note: I also used to deal with shipping claims at a former, crappy job. The above is only my experience on how it worked while I was there. We would contact the seller, always having them start the claim process.

In the interim, it's all about buyer/seller communication. Is the seller in touch with you?

Jan 15, 2008 at 4:11 PM Post #29 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by jmmtn4aj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Over here none of the deliver services leave things at the doorstep. Singapore Post, FedEx, UPS, DHL, TNT, all ask for a signature regardless of what option the shipper chose. How are they getting away with all that in the US? O.o

It depends on the value of the package and how the shipper specifies delivery. I had a difficult time getting a lens once, because the shipper would accept only a signature from my address. (My neighbors are really good about accepting packages for me.) And since it was FedEx Home Delivery, even trying to pick the package up was torture.

Jan 15, 2008 at 4:58 PM Post #30 of 105
i've been in contact with the seller. he said he would assist me in the claims process. i'm still waiting to see if they can recover the package. if nothing happens in another day or two, i will start the claims process or tell the seller to start it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back