Lost my UM3X... Recommend me a new pair!
Jul 2, 2010 at 11:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

mister__big

100+ Head-Fier
Unfortunately I seem to have lost my UM3X on the bus this week which really sucks for me since they're only a year old and I loved them. Well, you know what they say: "Out with the old and in with the new!" It's time to get a new pair of IEMs and I want to know your opinions on what to get based on my listening patterns and sonic history. All suggestions are welcome.
smile_phones.gif

Firstly, I've owned Shure E3, E4G and SE530, as well as the aforementioned Westone UM3X. I also have a pair of Sennheiser HD590 and HD650. I love the sound of the HD650, and I found the UM3X to be superior to the SE530. With that in mind, should I stick with Westone or should I try something else like the Senn IE8? My budget is up to $350 so I believe that's enough for most IEMs on the market.

I mostly listen to live music, usually Pop, Country or Alternative. I occasionally listen to Rock as well. I travel a lot on planes and trains so isolation and comfort is very important to me. My source is an iPhone (yeah, I know) with a Ray Samuels SR-71 amp, although I usually don't use the amp unless I'm at home.

I guess that's probably enough information for you discerning folks to make a recommendation, so let me have it!
etysmile.gif

Jul 2, 2010 at 11:26 AM Post #2 of 14
Buy my brand new Westone 3!! (lol)

But, since you liked the UM3x why not try the Westone 3? It handles great with rock. I find the mids to be very forward, and the bass doesn't smother them (at least how I am hearing it). The highs are excellent, it is like a cymbal is being crashed right next to you.

As for comfortability, Westone 3's pretty much dissolve in my ear since they are so comfortable. I mean, if you want bass, I would have to say definitely go with the Westone 3's, IE8's I have never tried, but they also have a good soundstage/bass from what I have read.

Either get IE8's, or Westone 3's. I think either would satisfy you :)

Jul 4, 2010 at 4:33 AM Post #3 of 14
Thanks laxlife, sonically what's the advantage of the Westone 3 to the UM3X?

Any input from other H-Fiers are also much appreciated!

Jul 7, 2010 at 12:53 AM Post #6 of 14
Thanks for the suggestion guys. I took a look at the SM3 and it seems really expensive (EUR345 on their website). Since I can't test it out where I live, it'll be a huge risk to buy it without first auditioning it. I do find them curiously similar to the UM3X in terms of looks though. 
normal_smile .gif

Based on some research on Head-Fi I think I've narrowed it down to the IE8 and the UM3X (yes, again), hopefully I can audition the IE8 for myself soon to make an informed decision!

Jul 7, 2010 at 1:11 AM Post #7 of 14
That price of 345 EUR includes a CEE VAT TAX. If you live outside of France the price is actually 288 EUR plus postage.
Also there is enough reviews around here for you to get a basic idea of how they sound, as well as a heap of comparisons to the UM3X.
Personally I'd buy the SM3 over the UM3X in a heartbeat.

Jul 7, 2010 at 10:03 AM Post #8 of 14

Quote:
That price of 345 EUR includes a CEE VAT TAX. If you live outside of France the price is actually 288 EUR plus postage.
Also there is enough reviews around here for you to get a basic idea of how they sound, as well as a heap of comparisons to the UM3X.
Personally I'd buy the SM3 over the UM3X in a heartbeat.

You own both?

Yea, it is around 400USD with shipping

Jul 7, 2010 at 8:49 PM Post #10 of 14
I'd recommend checking out the SE535s. The sound stage is now improved (similar to the Westone 3s now), the treble is no longer rolled off IMO and the cables are the best of any IEMs.

Jul 7, 2010 at 11:15 PM Post #11 of 14
++ on the SM3 and SE530/SE535 Both are more musical sounding IEMs than the UM3X. SM3 also has better bass and treble, while SE530 has sweeter mids than the UM3X.

Jul 8, 2010 at 10:45 AM Post #12 of 14
PM sent.

k701smile.gif

Jul 8, 2010 at 10:53 AM Post #13 of 14
I find the mids on the UMX3s to be very very good.  Perhaps a bit warm but very pleasing w/my ALO Rx amp and Amphora.  What exactly do you mean by 'sweeter mids?'

My biggest problem with the UMX3s is the heavy low end that seems to obscure the highs and they are very dependent on a good seal - at least for me.

For live music/rock they are really good.  Also for vocals and acoustic instruments.  But I always feel like they have this 'veil' over the music.  Maybe it's just my ear canal...

Arrrggg...

k701smile.gif

Jul 10, 2010 at 9:11 PM Post #14 of 14
I would recommend the W3's>IE8's, why? Because, the W3's basically have similar bass impact as the IE8's but with less soundstage, but don't get me wrong, the soundstage is pretty wide.

I can't really say any of the others since I have not been able to try them out. The only thing is, the simbilance in the W3's is there, I am starting to not notice it but sometimes it is annoying. Either way, like I said before you would probably be good with either. Don't get the same exact IEM's though take a risk and try out another. With the amount of money you spend on the phones you want I am pretty sure it won't let you down. Think about the SM3's also, I don't think it will hurt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back