Lost my ER4Ps... now what? ($200-300)
Apr 9, 2012 at 8:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Dragunov-21

100+ Head-Fier
After a few months of searching bags, cars and everything around the house, I've finally given up hope of finding my beloved ER4Ps.

I've had a look around and it seems that they're no longer readily available? (besides a few HK Ebay listings)... I'm hoping that someone can give me some models I might want to consider based on what I loved about the Etys:

- Clear, detailed and accurate sound.  I heard sounds and details in tracks that I'd never heard until I bought them, and that are p**sing me right off because I am missing them in familiar songs when listening to them on my AT-M50s.  I like my warmth/bass, but my priority is accuracy, clarity and detail.

- Small/flush fit.  The profile and deep fit of the ER4s was perfect for wearing under a full-face motorcycle helmet, something that was a huge PITA with my old Shures.  I don't expect to find anything as good, since the market seems to favour bulkier round housings, but I'm looking for something that won't protrude from my ears too much.

- Black/Comply foam tips.  Long story short, I need something that has dense, reasonably durable earplug-style tips available.  The rubber mushrooms are ok, but they aren't nearly as good on the sound insulation and I can afford to replace them every so often.

So what should I be looking at?  It looks like some decent dual-driver models are within my reach, and hopefully should be a step up from my Etys?  I've been having a look at the Westone 2s, which are reported as having a reasonably balanced sound and are right in my price range.  Anything else I should violently consider?

Something else that I'd like to know is whether they're a popularly-faked 'phone, as I'll probably be going the ebay route and don't want to get caught out. Any known issues with HK sellers like this?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Westone-2-True-Fit-Dual-Drivers-In-Ear-Earphones-Headphones-Earbuds-MP3-MP4-/320869717402?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item4ab553559a#ht_3721wt_1037

Apr 9, 2012 at 9:11 AM Post #2 of 25
I think the Grado GR10 would be perfect for you!

Quote:
After a few months of searching bags, cars and everything around the house, I've finally given up hope of finding my beloved ER4Ps.

I've had a look around and it seems that they're no longer readily available? (besides a few HK Ebay listings)... I'm hoping that someone can give me some models I might want to consider based on what I loved about the Etys:

- Clear, detailed and accurate sound.  I heard sounds and details in tracks that I'd never heard until I bought them, and that are p**sing me right off because I am missing them in familiar songs when listening to them on my AT-M50s.  I like my warmth/bass, but my priority is accuracy, clarity and detail.

- Small/flush fit.  The profile and deep fit of the ER4s was perfect for wearing under a full-face motorcycle helmet, something that was a huge PITA with my old Shures.  I don't expect to find anything as good, since the market seems to favour bulkier round housings, but I'm looking for something that won't protrude from my ears too much.

- Black/Comply foam tips.  Long story short, I need something that has dense, reasonably durable earplug-style tips available.  The rubber mushrooms are ok, but they aren't nearly as good on the sound insulation and I can afford to replace them every so often.

So what should I be looking at?  It looks like some decent dual-driver models are within my reach, and hopefully should be a step up from my Etys?  I've been having a look at the Westone 2s, which are reported as having a reasonably balanced sound and are right in my price range.  Anything else I should violently consider?

Something else that I'd like to know is whether they're a popularly-faked 'phone, as I'll probably be going the ebay route and don't want to get caught out. Any known issues with HK sellers like this?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Westone-2-True-Fit-Dual-Drivers-In-Ear-Earphones-Headphones-Earbuds-MP3-MP4-/320869717402?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item4ab553559a#ht_3721wt_1037

Apr 9, 2012 at 9:22 AM Post #4 of 25
Am I missing something?  They're twice my price-range, don't look like they have compressible-foam tips available and are designed in such a way that they stick out of the ear *more* than most designs... and look like balls to boot...

I'm confused...

I also notice that the Westone UM3Xs are possibly-maybe-kinda in my range, at a stretch...

Apr 9, 2012 at 11:24 AM Post #6 of 25
RE-272 may suit your demands.read some threads on them.

also gr-07 which go for $100 less than the 272

Apr 9, 2012 at 11:41 AM Post #7 of 25
Why not another pair of ER4Ps? After all you've test driver them for a few years and seem to really like them. Buy another pair and some point down the road have the custom tips made, I did and I really like them.

Apr 9, 2012 at 1:24 PM Post #8 of 25
+1 Id just get another set of ER4Ps.

Quote:
Why not another pair of ER4Ps? After all you've test driver them for a few years and seem to really like them. Buy another pair and some point down the road have the custom tips made, I did and I really like them.

Apr 9, 2012 at 6:46 PM Post #9 of 25
There's a couple of reasons I'm looking at other models...

- The ER4Ps seem to be damned exxy and hard-to-find these days.  Mind you, I got mine as-new for $120 first time around.
 - I wouldn't mind hearing something different.
 - There's every chance that as soon as the new 'phones hit my desk I'm going to lift up a piece of paper and find the ER4Ps sitting right there.

I'm looking pretty closely at the UM3Xs, as it stands now...  Sound like they might be similar, but just different enough.

Apr 9, 2012 at 8:30 PM Post #11 of 25
Um3X is heavier on bass, lighter on treble, closed in SS.  Mids are very forward, but instrument seperation is top notch imho.

Quote:
There's a couple of reasons I'm looking at other models...

- The ER4Ps seem to be damned exxy and hard-to-find these days.  Mind you, I got mine as-new for $120 first time around.
 - I wouldn't mind hearing something different.
 - There's every chance that as soon as the new 'phones hit my desk I'm going to lift up a piece of paper and find the ER4Ps sitting right there.

I'm looking pretty closely at the UM3Xs, as it stands now...  Sound like they might be similar, but just different enough.

Apr 10, 2012 at 1:41 AM Post #12 of 25

I own the Ety ER4PT ($ 200) and for me these are a very detailed IEM. Recently I bought the westone 4r for more than twice the price of  the Etymotics and I still rather the ety's.

Try to figure out the differences between W4 and UM3X. From what I have read ,both are similar.

Although the westons 4r are very confortable with complay foam tips, and the flush fit is so closed to my ears, only few millimeters protrude my ears. In this regard, I think the westone 3 or 4 are hard to beat.

Apr 10, 2012 at 2:19 AM Post #13 of 25
Cheers Mauricio

I can't find Etys anywhere for less than 260 though?  Got a source?

Quote:
Um3X is heavier on bass, lighter on treble, closed in SS.  Mids are very forward, but instrument seperation is top notch imho.

Thanks KimChee, that's what I've been reading around the place.  What I really liked about the Etys were how revealing they were, and it sounds as though the UM3Xs might be close to the mark in that regard, if not exactly on par? (I'm assuming that instrument separation is similar).

In any case, I bought a pair online a few hours ago ($320), which makes it a moot point.  There's one thing that will answer the question "do I love them" - a string solo in "Into the Square" by Susumu Hirasawa. A bit obscure, but I'll let you know how I find them.

Apr 10, 2012 at 3:42 AM Post #14 of 25
Oh snap! The fixed-cable version ran out of stock, so got a free upgrade to the removable cable version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back