Losing my mind
Jun 22, 2012 at 1:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

Soundfreak33

100+ Head-Fier
I have been on here for about 3 weeks, im new to good quality headphones, so i have asked around on here for suggestions on what to buy based on my music and intened use.  I really appriciate all your guys help, i have learned alot about sound and headphones, and didnt know music could sound this good, and hear things in music i didnt even know was there.

Now i have owned the Senheisser HD 558s, the AKG K550s, and the AKG Q701s, im finding it very hard to really get what i want as far as sound.  It is kinda driving me crazy i dont want to keep buying pair after pair after pair.  I started off wanting a set of headphones  that were good for music and movies, thats seems pretty hard.  I listen to stones, zepp, blondie, plimsouls, celine dion, etc.

The 3 sets of cans i have owned in 3 weeks, i think the K550s sound by far the best, but they fall off your head, they dont seal, great sound, horriable fit, the HD 558s sounded pretty good, but seemed to lack good bass, it seemed muddy, the Q701s i think are very boring, and way to neutral, the highs make me want to take them off in 10 mins, just a plain jane sound.  I have given up on finding ones that sound good on movies and music, its hard enough to get the music part right.  Now im at a loss, i need some more help so im hoping i can get it right this time.  I love the sound of the K550s, wish they had a tad more bass, but very clean, beautiful overall sound, so i want something close to the K550s but with a touch more bass, but with a good comfortable fit.   My budget is about $300.

I dont know if its possiable to get a set of cans that will excell in movies and music, so i think i may concentrate on music.

I would like you guys to suggest to me something i dont really need a amp to drive, im going to be running it most of the time off my X-FI Titanium sound card, but will probally buy a amp in the future, so based on what i have told you, please try to fit my taste, and thanks again for everybodys help.

Jun 22, 2012 at 1:42 AM Post #4 of 29
I may have just sold my D2000s, but they do sound like they would fit you. 

Jun 22, 2012 at 1:45 AM Post #5 of 29
Hmmmm, thanks for the quick replys, alot of votes for the Denon 2000s, arent they a bass head can ?, i heard there really good on movies, but dont u you think to much low end for my type of music ?

Jun 22, 2012 at 4:26 AM Post #6 of 29
Quote:
I have been on here for about 3 weeks, im new to good quality headphones, so i have asked around on here for suggestions on what to buy based on my music and intened use.  I really appriciate all your guys help, i have learned alot about sound and headphones, and didnt know music could sound this good, and hear things in music i didnt even know was there.

Now i have owned the Senheisser HD 558s, the AKG K550s, and the AKG Q701s, im finding it very hard to really get what i want as far as sound.  It is kinda driving me crazy i dont want to keep buying pair after pair after pair.  I started off wanting a set of headphones  that were good for music and movies, thats seems pretty hard.  I listen to stones, zepp, blondie, plimsouls, celine dion, etc.

The 3 sets of cans i have owned in 3 weeks, i think the K550s sound by far the best, but they fall off your head, they dont seal, great sound, horriable fit, the HD 558s sounded pretty good, but seemed to lack good bass, it seemed muddy, the Q701s i think are very boring, and way to neutral, the highs make me want to take them off in 10 mins, just a plain jane sound.  I have given up on finding ones that sound good on movies and music, its hard enough to get the music part right.  Now im at a loss, i need some more help so im hoping i can get it right this time.  I love the sound of the K550s, wish they had a tad more bass, but very clean, beautiful overall sound, so i want something close to the K550s but with a touch more bass, but with a good comfortable fit.   My budget is about $300.

I dont know if its possiable to get a set of cans that will excell in movies and music, so i think i may concentrate on music.

I would like you guys to suggest to me something i dont really need a amp to drive, im going to be running it most of the time off my X-FI Titanium sound card, but will probally buy a amp in the future, so based on what i have told you, please try to fit my taste, and thanks again for everybodys help.

A few thoughts on your situation:

You may not find one set of headphones that fit all your music.
I'm defintely not alone here on head-fi in having several headphones, plus continually trying new ones.
(Most recently the AKG K550's, which I sold last week after owning them for four months.)

Also, understand the sound of the albums you like.
"Parallel Lines", for instance, is going to sound flat, compressed, and two dimensional
regardless of the headphones to which you're listening.  It was the sound Blondie
and the producer wanted. 

Compare it to a rich, lush, dynamic recording - there are many of them; take your pick.
It will sound good through even very ordinary headphones.

In that regard as well, I'll assume you're listening to lossless files.
192K files just don't sound very good.
Even 320K files have issues.

Finally, I think you need an amp, even a small one, if you want really good sound
from your headphones.

There's so much to write on this, I just picked these few major points that came to mind.

Jun 22, 2012 at 6:25 AM Post #7 of 29
Quote:

A few thoughts on your situation:

You may not find one set of headphones that fit all your music.
I'm definitely not alone here on head-fi in having several headphones, plus continually trying new ones.
(Most recently the AKG K550's, which I sold last week after owning them for four months.)

^ This ^

I've come to the conclusion there isn't any perfect sound signature for anyone. That's why we're STILL here continuously trying other headphones. You may find highs in one mids in other etc etc.... But for some reason they simply don't make a headphone called  "the one" I thought I'd leave here five months ago, but it just gets worse. 

Save your soul OP, leave while you can. 

PS you definitely need an amp. That's the next step, then a recable, and..well.....you get the picture. 
wink.gif

Jun 22, 2012 at 6:30 AM Post #8 of 29
My personal search has ended with the HifiMAN HE-5LE driven by a power amp.  The only thing on the foreseeable horizon would be the HE-6 for me.  True, there may be no "perfect" signature, but HifiMAN has certainly narrowed the playing field--at least for this headfier.
 : )

Jun 22, 2012 at 7:06 AM Post #9 of 29
I recommend D2000 as well. Also If 558 fit you well you might wanna try HD650+small amp like E9 or E11 (both might have to be used according to your budget though)

Jun 22, 2012 at 11:21 AM Post #12 of 29
all of your previous headphone that you own are all amp dependent.. especially the Q.. I think the d2000 might be a good choice since it is relatively easy to drive.

Jun 22, 2012 at 11:33 AM Post #13 of 29
The d2k is good, but...d5k is better 
biggrin.gif
. It might save you a step if it's in your budget. I think that you can still get them for $385 shipped till they're gone at EE with coupon code. 

Most of us have gone through the same thing you describe. We like some things about a hp but not quite everything. Whether it be fit, weight, highs or low. For me, I've found two hp's that I really like a lot. The d5k and the he400. They cover all the material that I enjoy and offer great complementary features. Do I ever peek at the used hp section? Well, yes 
tongue.gif
. But I've found a very happy medium where I'm not constantly looking to upgrade, sell, resale ect. 

Most of my purchases these days are music. 

gL!!

Jun 22, 2012 at 11:52 AM Post #14 of 29
Quote:
Hmmmm, thanks for the quick replys, alot of votes for the Denon 2000s, arent they a bass head can ?, i heard there really good on movies, but dont u you think to much low end for my type of music ?

If by bass head you mean that they over-emphasize bass, or artificially boost the bass, then no, I wouldn't call them bass head cans.  From the reviews I've read, and my experience with the Denons, I would call them more neutral / flat.

That said, play a song with heavy bass and I think you'll be impressed.  Deep, tight, controlled, awesome bass.

Jun 22, 2012 at 12:09 PM Post #15 of 29
The d2k is good, but...d5k is better :D . It might save you a step if it's in your budget. I think that you can still get them for $385 shipped till they're gone at EE with coupon code. 

Most of us have gone through the same thing you describe. We like some things about a hp but not quite everything. Whether it be fit, weight, highs or low. For me, I've found two hp's that I really like a lot. The d5k and the he400. They cover all the material that I enjoy and offer great complementary features. Do I ever peek at the used hp section? Well, yes :p . But I've found a very happy medium where I'm not constantly looking to upgrade, sell, resale ect. 

Most of my purchases these days are music. 

gL!!

Whats the code?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back