Loreena McKennitt - "The Book of Secrets" = WOW!!!
Jul 27, 2004 at 1:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

AGR

100+ Head-Fier
What a voice!

Some will recognize the song she sings from the movie, "Soldier" with Kurt Russell (Night Ride Across The Caucasus).

tboscov2.jpg

http://www.quinlanroad.com/tbos.html

Jul 27, 2004 at 1:37 PM Post #2 of 36
Agree, quite beautiful voice. I like this work as well. If you can give Altan a listen, vocals are sweet as well!

CD/.

Jul 27, 2004 at 1:44 PM Post #3 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by AGR
What a voice!

Some will recognize the song she sings from the movie, "Soldier" with Kurt Russell (Night Ride Across The Caucasus).

tboscov2.jpg

http://www.quinlanroad.com/tbos.html

Loreena McKennitt is awesome. I liked "The Mask and the Mirror" even better than "Book of Secrets." Has she recorded anything recently...?

Jul 27, 2004 at 1:47 PM Post #4 of 36
Great CD. One of my favs.

Jul 27, 2004 at 1:51 PM Post #5 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by DLeeWebb
Loreena McKennitt is awesome. I liked "The Mask and the Mirror" even better than "Book of Secrets." Has she recorded anything recently...?

Excellent! Thanks! I must get "The Mask and the Mirror". I have had "The Book of Secrets" for about 4 years now, and just got it loaded to my iRiver awhile back.

I was reading, she is actually from Canada! Interesting! And; still lives in the Ontario area.
cool.gif

"Live in Paris and Toronto" appears to be her latest... (1999)
lipt.jpg

Jul 27, 2004 at 6:40 PM Post #6 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by DLeeWebb

I think her husband died and that kind of turned her away from singing for a while.. not sure if she's back recording or not.

-jar

Jul 28, 2004 at 4:59 AM Post #7 of 36
Loreena is a remarkable talent. I've been a fan of hers since not long after she first recorded. Some years ago, before she was more prominent, I was actually fortunate enough to have the opportunity to attend a concert she gave in a private home in Sarnia, Ontario. It was just the group of us listening to her perform live......a wonderful experience.
Most would consider "Book of Secrets" as her best work, but I find every recording she has made to be exceptional and couldnt choose any one for that title.

JC

Jul 28, 2004 at 2:37 PM Post #9 of 36
Quote:

She's back to recording

That is great news. Loreena McKennitt is easily one of my favorite musicians -- I think the first thing that really hooked me, before I even had a chance to hear the music, was the liner notes for her albums, where she explains in some detail the inspirations or historical context for each song.

Actually, as I think about it, The Book of Secrets helped get me into college. I was taking an analytical reading and writing class in high school shortly after it came out, and I critiqued "Marco Polo" for one of my assignments. The essay turned out so well, I submitted it with the application to my first choice as the writing sample portion, and was accepted. So yeah, she's great
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 28, 2004 at 9:52 PM Post #10 of 36
Duh! I just went to Amazon to check out some samples from The Book Of Secrets. Of 5 samples, only the last one had any vocals whatsoever - and only a couple of seconds worth. Double duh!

Aug 6, 2004 at 1:45 AM Post #11 of 36
My new copy of The Book Of Secrets showed up today. Very, very nice! Thanks for the recomendation.

Aug 6, 2004 at 4:59 PM Post #12 of 36
I really like Loreena McKennitt, too. It's wonderful that she is going to be producing music again - 1999 is a long time ago when you are waiting for a musician of her caliber!

Aug 6, 2004 at 5:13 PM Post #14 of 36
The Visit is another great piece.

Aug 6, 2004 at 9:03 PM Post #15 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Karlosak
The Visit is another great piece.

The first time I heard All Soul's Night, I was pretty sure I'd heard it before. I doubt it was the radio -- has anyone heard it used in a movie or something?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back