Lord of the Rings Soundtrack.
Dec 27, 2001 at 9:38 PM Post #16 of 20
Smart move, coolvij! I read the Hobbit->LOTR I about 6 times since I was 14 and I can tell you that you just can't fully enjoy that movie unless you know the story.

There is no way to stuck The Fellowship in 3 hours... it would need 30 at least.
smily_headphones1.gif

Characters were not introduced properly, and you don't really get to know them. But hey... I can't complain... in 3 hours, I think the result was great.

Still, if you know what's behind the movie and all the pages that were dropped or adapted, it all becomes clear and fascinating... not "just a good movie".

I am now starting my 7th LOTR reading (I'll skip The Hobbit this time). It will be the first time I'll read it in english, so I guess it will be a fully new experience.
smily_headphones1.gif

Still about the movie, my 2 major complaints were
a) Who picked that Elrond? No way. That's not Elrond.
b) Rivendell wasn't beautiful enough.

Dec 27, 2001 at 9:48 PM Post #17 of 20
did you check Peer Gynt? What about "In the Hall of the Mountain King" (first suite).
My Naxos CD also has some lyric pieces (opus 68) like "Evening in the Moutains".

I read Lotr about 10 times in French and 4-5 times in English. Along with most of the other books.

I you haven't yet, be sure to read the Silmarillion and the Unfinished Tales. It will give your Lotr readings much more depth!

P.

Mar 21, 2002 at 12:15 AM Post #19 of 20
sorry for being late. just recently started reading LOTR, went to see the movie after I read the first part ofcourse. I don't think the movie would stand on it's own as good as does in combination with the book. characters aren't really explored too much, you sortof have to already know them. really thrilling tho, indeed more action oriented than the book, but really all they do is walk in the first part (much different in part 2 tho, wow). although I knew where the story would lead, I never knew exactly what would happen next. stunning, epic and exciting
cool.gif
cool how it really is somehow believable tho also very magical.

so I bought the soundtrack too ofcourse. I couldn't pay too much attention to it through the movie, but being so close to the vcreen (third row
biggrin.gif
) you couldnt help but feel it. it's epic beyond believe, choirs, battle music, Enya, what else could you whish for? really captures and enhances the story, making it more serious and dark. I love it. and May It Be is such a satisfying ending, top notch.

Mar 21, 2002 at 12:47 AM Post #20 of 20
Three points not already stated:

First, it's a great CD to use to burn in headphones. Second, NPR had an interview with the composer, Howard Shore. I missed it, but I'm sure there's a transcript. Third, it is inevitable that the DVD, with the full score, will be released sometime next fall, in time to boost the second of the three films (but it is also inevitable that there will be several versions of the DVD until we finally get the three films rolled into one set with the director's uncut version, just as Star Wars video releases went through several generations).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back