Lord of the Rings Soundtrack.
Nov 24, 2001 at 7:23 PM Post #5 of 20
Any chance for a mini-review jude? I want to pick this up, but there are tons of other great cds I want as well, and I don't want to waste my money on a dud.

Nov 25, 2001 at 2:07 AM Post #6 of 20
Just came back home from getting the soundtrack...and I like it. This is something you'd want to blast on a full 5.1 speaker system though rather than headphones...the CD overall has a dark feel to it, and makes you feel as if you were listening in a church environment, if you get what I'm trying to say. Think Enya if you don't (she has two songs in here BTW). Really cavernous, echoey type of music (like opera I guess, best way to describe that feeling), hence the better sound on speakers. If they released this in multichannel SACD, it'd totally rule.

Nov 25, 2001 at 5:31 AM Post #7 of 20
I picked it up today and like it a good bit. I see the point about listening to it w/ speakers, but with my V6's it's just as satisfing. I particuarly like "Concerning Hobbits", which sounds exactly like I expected it would, and "The Breaking of the Fellowship"(track 17) .

One thing that gets me thought is that this doesn't feel like a complete soundtrack, instead it sounds like more of a sampler. The different themes are there, but they are kind of dangle, as if they don't tie together. I heard somewhere that there is about two hours of music for the movie so they left some out, which I wonder about when they could have made it a two disk set.

Besides that the word that comes to my mind to describe this album is "epic". It just seems big, as if it were encompassing many places, which I guess is kind of the point. Because of this some of the music seems kind of random, not in arrangement, but more because there are so many different types of music on the cd.

Although I only pointed out flaws, I'm happy with my purchase. The things I pointed out were the only negatives, the music is great and has emotion, the singing in some of the tracks is wonderful, and the quality of the recording if fantastic (hey, it's the London Phillharmonic, so it isn't exactly second class), but I have the feeling that the music will make a whole lot more sense after seeing the movie.

Nov 25, 2001 at 5:22 PM Post #10 of 20
raymondlin,

I believe the limited edition has special features, etc., but that the music is identical. There's a review of the soundtrack here:

http://www.filmtracks.com/titles/lord_rings01.html

Serow, I'll write a word or two about my opinions on this soundtrack in the next day or two. It really is a joy to listen to.

Dec 26, 2001 at 9:16 PM Post #12 of 20
I know this is an old thread already ... but I'm listening to Lotr soundtrack right now and I am much disapointed.

The heavy presence of dark choirs makes it sound more like a Conan the Barbarian (Basil Poledouris I think) imho!

It is "yet another fantasy soundtrack"!

I haven't seen the movie yet and the soundtrack makes me fear it will be much "action-oriented". This is not my perception of Lotr.

I suggest that you try Edward Grieg 's Peer Gynt. It always evokes me Lotr.

Just my opinion ...

P.

Dec 26, 2001 at 11:56 PM Post #13 of 20
i actually enjoy the soundtrack quite a bit...especially *Concerning Hobbits* and *The Black Rider*......

still don't like enya though....
biggrin.gif

Dec 27, 2001 at 12:10 AM Post #14 of 20
Peer Gynt evoking LOTR.. hmmm, interesting... I didn't have that impression... now I will have to go dig up my Peer Gynt to find out...
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 27, 2001 at 3:57 PM Post #15 of 20
I'm reading the Fellowship Of The Ring right now (can't see the movie without reading first, now can we?) - rocks.....i usually hate fantasy...but this easily bests even the hobbit, methinks...

cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back