Looking to upgrade my Sennheiser PX360s
Dec 1, 2012 at 5:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

BruinAnteater

100+ Head-Fier
Hey all,

Looking to upgrade my Sennheiser PX360s for no other reason than to justify buying a new set of headphones. I actually like my 360s very much, they do an admirable job of providing me with a quality sound when I am away from home and my Sennheiser HD650s. But the wife always wants a pair of headphones to take to the gym and I am always looking to spend money on stuff, so I told her she can have my 360s when I buy different ones.

So I prefer a natural, neutral sound for home listening, where I have a good SACD/CD player and a good LP player and I can crank up the sound and open air cans like the 650s. But for my 'road' or 'street' headphones, I like the closed design of the 360s, I like the slightly bass heavier nature of the sound (helps compensate for having to listen to music on a portable player), but I like how the bass doesn't compromise the mids and highs too much. Its still a natural-ish sound signature, with a slight nod to bass. Overall I want a similar sound signature, but just a higher quality sound, I want a step up, but I still want to stay within the Sennheiser sound.

Ive read that HD-25 IIs really don't offer much of an upgrade to the PX360s. However, two sets that have gotten my attention are the Amperiors and Momentums. From reading reviews, it seems like the Amperiors may be the natural step up from the PX360s, but the Momentums also sound like they have a sound signature I would enjoy. The headphones would be paired with a Cowon J3 and a FiiO E7 (though I may upgrade the amp sometime later).

There is no store near by that carries these cans so I can't audition them. I've bought both sets of Sennheisers based on reviews and description of sound signature and I havent been disappointed yet. I would be willing to order both and send back the ones I like less, But I would rather order one pair and hope its what I'm looking for (and if it wasn't, I could always send it back and get the other pair).

Thanks in advance.

Dec 1, 2012 at 8:13 PM Post #2 of 9
no one? 
frown.gif

triportsad.gif

Jan 8, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #3 of 9
If you've got the bucks to spend then why not upgrade to their bluetooth version the PCX 360.
You can always plug it in with the wire if you have a source that doesn't have bluetooth.

Jan 14, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:
If you've got the bucks to spend then why not upgrade to their blue-tooth version the PCX 360.
You can always plug it in with the wire if you have a source that doesn't have blue-tooth.

I would think that wired, they would sound just like the PX360s (I'm just guessing). I really don't have a need for a BT headphone. My HD650s have a long enough cord to reach my couch whenever I use can for TV viewing (which is rare anyway). The only situation where a BT headset might be useful is for working out, but even then, I think I would go for some wired IEs instead. Im looking more for an upgrade in sound quality/sound signature over my PX360s not necessarily the exact same sound profile but with more versatility. 

Of course this is all under the presumption that a wire PCX360 would sound the same as a PX360. Am I wrong with this presumption?

Jan 14, 2013 at 2:58 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:
I would still recommend HD 25. 

Interesting. Why the HD 25 over the Amperiors? Price/Value? I've read many compos that rate the 360s about equal to the 25s, with maybe the PX360s being slightly more bassy and the 25 being a bit more aggressive; the Amperiors are supposed to be the natural successors to the 25s (so, again I am assuming the sound signature is similar, but maybe 'better' quality ie. clarity, high and low freq response...).

For sure the 25-IIs (and OG 25s) are being sold at killer prices, but the impedance kinda scares me on those (60-70 ohms). I am gonna use them mainly on a Cowon J3 with a FiiO E7 (I am eventually upgrading my portable amp, but prob not till summer). I find the PX360s (with an impedance of 32 ohms) to be driven only to somewhat OK levels by the J3 alone, and well enough on MOST (but not all) of my music with the FiiO E7, so I can only Imagine the the 25s being a bit of a prob. 

The cool thing about both Amperiors and Momentums is they are both 18 ohm cans, so I am thinking the J3 alone would drive them well enough. After doing some further reading, I am starting to lean more towards the Momentums, only because the general sound signature of the Amperiors seem to be more aggressive, while the Momentums seem to have a more laid-back "classic" Sennheiser sound, with a nice touch of more bassiness that does not compromise mids and highs, which is kinda what I am looking for since I generally do like the sound signature of the PX360s alot for 'travel' phones (the are a (tiny) bit more 'bassy' than the HD650s at a given db, and my only complaint is that the highs might be a (tiny) bit too aggressive at higher volumes).

I do listen to all types of music: classic/hard rock, blues, grunge, metal, gangsta rap, modern hip hop, jazz and Latin being the major genres I like, but alot listen to folk, vocal, electronic, and even a bit of country and some classical now and then; this is why the HD650s and the PX360s have served me so well thus far, because they every thing sound great: the image the highs with clarity, the mids are rich and the bass is usually exactly where it needs to be, although admittedly only gangsta rap/modern hip hop lack a bit. I would still rather listen to rap on my HD650s/PX360s than on overly bass heavy cans like Beats, and because I like so much more music than just rap, I would still take the Sennheiser sound signature over other good HiFi brands, because the PX360s have shown me is that Sennheiser is capable of keeping their classic sound signature and quality, while upping the bass a bit. 

So long post still long, I am looking for the natural progression of the PX360: something that can be driven by a J3 (and maybe a Fiio E7 at most), that has the Sennheiser sound, but can handle a bit more bass. I seem to be leaning towards Momentums, just based on reviews (I dont have a dealer near me where I can demo, Ive picked both my Senns based on reviews). 

Anyone have any other ideas or find any flaws in what I am thinking? I'm very open (note: my rejection of the PXCs and 25s was only based usability: PXCs cuz I really dont need or want to pay for BT and 25s for their impedance) and willing to listen to reason!

Jan 14, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:
For sure the 25-IIs (and OG 25s) are being sold at killer prices, but the impedance kinda scares me on those (60-70 ohms). I am gonna use them mainly on a Cowon J3 with a FiiO E7 (I am eventually upgrading my portable amp, but prob not till summer). I find the PX360s (with an impedance of 32 ohms) to be driven only to somewhat OK levels by the J3 alone, and well enough on MOST (but not all) of my music with the FiiO E7, so I can only Imagine the the 25s being a bit of a prob.

I can't comment on the Amperior, as I haven't tried it, but I can comment on the HD 25: although it has a 70 ohms impedance, its high sensibility allows it to sound at a decent volume even without an amp. I also have a Cowon J3, and when I use it with the HD 25 I rarely raise the volume beyond 30 (unamped).

Jan 16, 2013 at 1:17 PM Post #8 of 9
What kind of music are you listening to on your J3? How would you describe the sound profile/quality of the 25s? Have you heard the 360s? If so, can you compare? Lots of interesting info here!

Jan 16, 2013 at 1:35 PM Post #9 of 9
Sorry, never heard the PX360. As for the HD 25, I like them with any genre, but IMO they excel in fast electronic genres. They offer a punchy yet quick and not overpowering bass, very detailed but maybe just a little bit recessed mids, and a very resolving and somewhat bright top-end. They have good instrument separation and positioning, but a rather small soundstage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back