Looking to replace my iPod Touch
Feb 17, 2012 at 2:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

refusedchaos

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I come to you asking for any recommendations on a new portable music player that would replace my iPod Touch 64gb. My iTouch has fallen to the dreaded death of the headphone jack from wear and tear. While I intend to fix it at some point, but I am wondering if there is any other better players out there. I would preferably want one that has a storage of more than 64gb (since I have about 100gb of music, not fun having to pick and choose what can go on my iTouch). Any help? Thanks

Feb 17, 2012 at 2:29 AM Post #2 of 17
If you wanted to save the ipod (and money 
biggrin.gif
) cant you just get a $7 fiio LOD and a cheap amp like an E5 or E6 for $20-30 .

EDIT: for large capacity get an ipod classic 160GB since im guessing you already use itunes anyway

Feb 17, 2012 at 2:39 AM Post #3 of 17
Are you married to Apple? & what's your budget? If not (married to Apple) the more recently discussed players seem to be the iBasso DX100 & Sony's NW-Z series (the Z1070 is the 64GB version).

The DX100 OTOH is pricey. Its also 64GB but it also takes memory cards (& seems to take external storage via its USB port too).

If you are married to Apple then I guess the iPod classics.

Feb 17, 2012 at 2:44 AM Post #4 of 17
If you wanted to save the ipod (and money :D ) cant you just get a $7 fiio LOD and a cheap amp like an E5 or E6 for $20-30 .

EDIT: for large capacity get an ipod classic 160GB since im guessing you already use itunes anyway

Depending on how important sound quality is, you might not want to go for iPod Classic unless you're also getting a LOD and amp.

Another option is a Cowon player (eg J3) with 32gb internal memory plus a microSD card (64gb now available, but not sure if compatible with Cowons). The Cowon sound quality is miles ahead of any current iPod unless using an external amp with LOD.

Feb 17, 2012 at 9:23 AM Post #5 of 17

Quote:
Depending on how important sound quality is, you might not want to go for iPod Classic unless you're also getting a LOD and amp.
Another option is a Cowon player (eg J3) with 32gb internal memory plus a microSD card (64gb now available, but not sure if compatible with Cowons). The Cowon sound quality is miles ahead of any current iPod unless using an external amp with LOD.

That may be your opinion, but it is not everyone's opinion.

Feb 17, 2012 at 6:56 PM Post #6 of 17

Quote:
That may be your opinion, but it is not everyone's opinion.

Fair point. It is just an opinion, but not just mine. I made a point of testing it blind on a number of different people and without fail, everyone found the Cowon sound to be more spacious (soundstage and instrument separation), better detailed and with better extension of both bass and treble.

I was hugely disappointed with the sound of the iPod Classic 160Gb after coming from an iPod Video 80Gb (5.5G), but love the sound of the Classic + E11 combination. I'm most definitely not anti-iPod because I prefer their usability and interface over anything else I've tried.

You are right, Achmedisdead, to mention that different people may have different opinions based on your personal music and sound signature preferences. Thanks for the comment.

Feb 17, 2012 at 7:21 PM Post #7 of 17

Quote:
If you wanted to save the ipod (and money 
biggrin.gif
) cant you just get a $7 fiio LOD and a cheap amp like an E5 or E6 for $20-30 .

I actually have an Fiio E1 right now. I know that at a LOD cable and amp is probably the cheapest to go but there are times were I don't want to carry bulk.

I was thinking an iPod classic but kind of hesitant. Why? mostly cause of the HDD inside. Then again, my 60GB video iPod is still kicking.

Someone also recommended me to do a SSD mod to my old 60GB video iPod, but I'm not too knowledgeable on this.

Quote:
Are you married to Apple? & what's your budget? If not (married to Apple) the more recently discussed players seem to be the iBasso DX100 & Sony's NW-Z series (the Z1070 is the 64GB version).
The DX100 OTOH is pricey. Its also 64GB but it also takes memory cards (& seems to take external storage via its USB port too).
If you are married to Apple then I guess the iPod classics.

No I am not. I am open to any portable music player, I just need one with high storage capacity.

Quote:

I've heard good things from Cowon but their low storage capacity turns me off.

Too bad that new Sony Walkman doesnt have a microSD slot. :/

Feb 17, 2012 at 8:57 PM Post #8 of 17

Quote:
I actually have an Fiio E1 right now. I know that at a LOD cable and amp is probably the cheapest to go but there are times were I don't want to carry bulk.

I was thinking an iPod classic but kind of hesitant. Why? mostly cause of the HDD inside. Then again, my 60GB video iPod is still kicking.

Someone also recommended me to do a SSD mod to my old 60GB video iPod, but I'm not too knowledgeable on this.

No I am not. I am open to any portable music player, I just need one with high storage capacity.

I've heard good things from Cowon but their low storage capacity turns me off.

Too bad that new Sony Walkman doesnt have a microSD slot. :/

Ditch the E1. It was made for older iPods and honestly, the iPod Touch 4th gen has a very clean HP out and sounds better than the E1. It's a different story if you use an E6 or an E17 though. Those are great.

If you need a high capacity cowon, look at the X7 which features a 160gb hard drive like the classic. The J3 is more practical though due to the sd card slot expansion. The Cowon C2 comes with 16gb and also has an sd card expansion slot and is also cheaper.

The Cowons all sound pretty much the same though.

I agree about the Walkman. If you order the Japan version, they have a 64gb version but it's really expensive :p

Feb 18, 2012 at 1:17 AM Post #9 of 17

Quote:
Fair point. It is just an opinion, but not just mine. I made a point of testing it blind on a number of different people and without fail, everyone found the Cowon sound to be more spacious (soundstage and instrument separation), better detailed and with better extension of both bass and treble.

I was hugely disappointed with the sound of the iPod Classic 160Gb after coming from an iPod Video 80Gb (5.5G), but love the sound of the Classic + E11 combination. I'm most definitely not anti-iPod because I prefer their usability and interface over anything else I've tried.

You are right, Achmedisdead, to mention that different people may have different opinions based on your personal music and sound signature preferences. Thanks for the comment.

I have not heard the Classic....so it is entirely possible I would agree with your assessment of it.
smile.gif
But I've had a 4th-gen Touch for a year now, and I do like its sound.....and I had a 4th-gen Shuffle for a while, and it too sounded surprisingly good. I had a Cowon iAudio9 and D2, and the i9 and Touch were very close with no sound enhancements activated, I thought....but I traded them away and kept the Touch. Usability was a part of it....the menu structures of the i9 paled in comparison to the Touch, IMO..

Feb 18, 2012 at 1:31 AM Post #10 of 17
A classic + Digizoid ZO kicks the snott out of a Cowon. I own Cowon and Apple dap's,...I luv my classic & D:ZO combo!!! FTW!!! Cowon is great, but so is Apple,...

Feb 18, 2012 at 4:52 AM Post #11 of 17

Quote:
A classic + Digizoid ZO kicks the snott out of a Cowon. I own Cowon and Apple dap's,...I luv my classic & D:ZO combo!!! FTW!!! Cowon is great, but so is Apple,...

Agree, Apples + external amps are awesome. I love my Classic + E11. Classic + Amp is a great option if you want awesome sound and capacity, but happy to carry a couple of devices and cables.

Feb 18, 2012 at 7:40 AM Post #12 of 17
I used to be a Cowon fan boy and to my embarassment  I used to diss any Apple products. Then I got a Touch 4G for the apps and games and I was shocked to realise how much better sounding it was compared to my D2 ans S9. I don't know about Cowon's new offering. Cowon sound enhancement are great but quickly become tiring. 

Feb 18, 2012 at 7:47 AM Post #13 of 17

Quote:
I used to be a Cowon fan boy and to my embarassment  I used to diss any Apple products. Then I got a Touch 4G for the apps and games and I was shocked to realise how much better sounding it was compared to my D2 ans S9. I don't know about Cowon's new offering. Cowon sound enhancement are great but quickly become tiring. 

What I found was that they sounded great if you got them just right......but it was easy to end up with an unnatural, artificial sound. I'm glad I had them, so that I could have the experience of trying them out, but in all fairness I don't miss them.

Feb 18, 2012 at 8:12 AM Post #14 of 17
I meant tiring in the sense that I kept trying different settings when playing different styles of music, which is fun at first. But I used to waste a lot of time switching settings instead of just enjoying the music...

Feb 18, 2012 at 8:24 AM Post #15 of 17

Quote:
I meant tiring in the sense that I kept trying different settings when playing different styles of music, which is fun at first. But I used to waste a lot of time switching settings instead of just enjoying the music...

I can understand that. I went through the same thing when switching from one headphone to another....having to go through the multitude of settings yet again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back