Looking to improve low end on HD800s. Upgrade DAC, amp, both?
May 6, 2010 at 5:33 AM Post #17 of 33
I have a pair of HD650's and a X-Can v3. With the stock JAN Phillips 6922 tubes, the bass was loose, muddy, with no slam. The transient speed also seemed smeared, 'slow', and compressed. The highs were also artificial sounding.

I found a pair of 1960's Amperex 6922 'Bugle Boy's' made in Holland and WOW did it make a difference! All of the speed issues and bass quality disappeared. The bass weight, speed, clarity and slam is perfect now. The highs are also incredible with the clarity and speed of SS balanced with perfect smoothness and warmth. Also, the feeling of everything being slightly compressed is gone.

I highly recommend upgrading the tubes to bring the amp to a whole new level. You can find matched pairs on Ebay for $90~$300.

May 7, 2010 at 4:29 PM Post #18 of 33
I'm not convinced that upstream is the problem. If you upgrade to a better DAC/amp, then the same SQ profile will probably result, the only difference being better resolution. (Assuming that "better DAC/amp" means balanced presentation across the frequencies.) The person who suggested that the cans may be the problem may not be far off the mark. If the HD800 doesn't give you the bass impact that you want with the music you listen to, this may be a sign that the HD800 is not for you. Others in your boat seem to prefer the T1, I think.

May 18, 2010 at 12:05 AM Post #19 of 33

Quote:
I have a pair of HD650's and a X-Can v3. With the stock JAN Phillips 6922 tubes, the bass was loose, muddy, with no slam. The transient speed also seemed smeared, 'slow', and compressed. The highs were also artificial sounding.

I found a pair of 1960's Amperex 6922 'Bugle Boy's' made in Holland and WOW did it make a difference! All of the speed issues and bass quality disappeared. The bass weight, speed, clarity and slam is perfect now. The highs are also incredible with the clarity and speed of SS balanced with perfect smoothness and warmth. Also, the feeling of everything being slightly compressed is gone.

I highly recommend upgrading the tubes to bring the amp to a whole new level. You can find matched pairs on Ebay for $90~$300.

Thanks to all for the replies.

I will take a $100 gamble and see if new tubes have any effect.  I went with the Amperex PCC88s though since the seller mentioned low life span in the 6922, and I also saw that in a audioreview review.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290406876902

I will report my findings.  I noticed when I first got the 800s that I had to increase the amp by about ~6 db over my 650s to get the volume I wanted, so maybe the tubes are struggling.

May 19, 2010 at 12:21 AM Post #20 of 33
The problem is the XcanV3.  I own 5 headphone amps and the the xcan has the worst bass impact, definition and extension of all my headphone amps it is also the most forward sounding amp (built with HD650 as a reference).  You really need a better amp than an XcanV3 to pair with the HD800.

May 19, 2010 at 11:34 PM Post #21 of 33

Quote:
The problem is the XcanV3.  I own 5 headphone amps and the the xcan has the worst bass impact, definition and extension of all my headphone amps it is also the most forward sounding amp (built with HD650 as a reference).  You really need a better amp than an XcanV3 to pair with the HD800.

I did not like the sound when I had my XCan v3 and I put a PS Audio ultimate outlet in front of my rig, and it smoothed everything out.

May 20, 2010 at 8:13 AM Post #22 of 33

Quote:

I did not like the sound when I had my XCan v3 and I put a PS Audio ultimate outlet in front of my rig, and it smoothed everything out.

Its a good amp for its price.  You do pay for what you get and the HD800 would ruthlessly reveal the price of the X cans.

May 22, 2010 at 10:14 AM Post #26 of 33

Quote:
Its a good amp for its price.  You do pay for what you get and the HD800 would ruthlessly reveal the price of the X cans.

What was funny about the PS Audio Ultimate outlet was that after adding it to the mix, it was not so much about what the limits of the XCan was, but what it brought to the party.

After I got my WA22 in there, that was when I was aware of the limits of the XCan; basically it could only resolve a certian level of detail, and the soundstage that you get with the WA22 was not there. 

My sense of it is that clean power creates an environment where all equipment is operating at its peak potential, and aural annoyances that we thought were a property of our gear were actually a result of dirty power.

Thoughts?

May 22, 2010 at 2:29 PM Post #27 of 33

Quote:
What was funny about the PS Audio Ultimate outlet was that after adding it to the mix, it was not so much about what the limits of the XCan was, but what it brought to the party.

After I got my WA22 in there, that was when I was aware of the limits of the XCan; basically it could only resolve a certian level of detail, and the soundstage that you get with the WA22 was not there. 

My sense of it is that clean power creates an environment where all equipment is operating at its peak potential, and aural annoyances that we thought were a property of our gear were actually a result of dirty power.

Thoughts?

Absolutely agreed.  Power is of prime importance - I bought the MF XPSU to power the the X cans.  I also posses a $1200 240v AC re-generator (from pure DC) that is powered by sealed lead acid batteries (700 dollars worth) and Furutech power lines and connectors (800 dollars worth) - all bring further refinements to the Xcan and every other component in my inventory.

May 23, 2010 at 4:22 AM Post #29 of 33

Quote:
Will the tube upgrade redeem the xcan?

I don't believe so. I think the inherent problem with the xcan is its internal power supply capacitors - these are of poor quality and restrict current speed - most modders replace these capacitors before changing tubes or adding a PSU.  Do a search for "Rock Grotto" and also "pink floyd mods".

However with China seeming to blow away the concepts of value for money, apparently the Matrix M stage for $300 is a clone (with very high quality internal parts) of the Lehmann Black Cube Linear $1000 + amp.  The BCL was renowned as the German amplifier preferred by Senn to showcase the HD800 at launch.

May 23, 2010 at 4:37 AM Post #30 of 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadfones /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will report my findings.  I noticed when I first got the 800s that I had to increase the amp by about ~6 db over my 650s to get the volume I wanted, so maybe the tubes are struggling.

There is another problem with the poor power capacitors, as you turn the volume up more the XCan starts to compress the sound.  Good low and tight bass with presence needs a stiff power supply and MF cut costs right there - figuring the HD650 was bassy enough on its own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back