Looking to getting 1st amp. Which one should I get?
Jan 14, 2008 at 11:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

philthy

100+ Head-Fier
I have a pair of KSC35s and PX100s at the moment, but I'm looking into getting either the SR80s or a pair of PK1s or PK2s. I've never used an amp before so I'm hoping to be blown away by the sound. I have a budget of up to $150 for an amp and I'm looking into these few amps.

Penguin "Caffeine Ultra" Amp
CMOY Bass Boost 2.0
Minibox-D or Minibox-E
PA2V2
Meier HEADSIX

I listen to mainly hip-hop and R&B. Which amp would you suggest. Thanks.

Jan 15, 2008 at 12:14 AM Post #3 of 27
Meier Headsix! Great sound for your money! and it's quite portable as well.
Minibox E would be my second suggestion, but I like build quality of Meiers better.
I have not tried PA2V2, but I heard that it's a decent amp.
If you have time and patience, why not try Xin Supermicro IV? I would rate it in the same rank as Meier Headsix!

Jan 15, 2008 at 12:18 AM Post #4 of 27
get a mini3. I haven't heard any of the ones you've listed, but the mini3 sounds fantastic for the money, and from what i gather, would beat all your other choices.

But you dont really need an amp for the phones you listed. there won't be much imporovement for the ksc35's or the grados. You might be better off just getting better grados, like the sr225 and waiting on the amp, or just forgetting it altogether.

Jan 15, 2008 at 1:06 AM Post #6 of 27
no I think he was referring to Xin Supermini 3 - unless I am mistaken
Pk1s are amazing pair of earphones but they do need proper amplification in order to show its potential.

Jan 15, 2008 at 1:07 AM Post #7 of 27
no, the mini3 is a DIY portable that you could get used on the forums made for you. it really sounds great, usually goes for 125 i believe.

But you said you were expecting "huge improvements" and this is not going to happen, esspecially with those headphones. And amp will only refine the sound of those cans. So like i said, i would recomend better headphones over amping cheap headphones. i never understand why people do that...

Jan 15, 2008 at 1:12 AM Post #9 of 27
Shift then 6...
So he was talking about the portable Mini^3, a DIY and portable amp, though some people use the "performance edition" and stack those into balanced ins and outs...its probably your best bet for a sub 200$ amp, though you can get a used Little Dot as well in that price range

Jan 15, 2008 at 1:13 AM Post #10 of 27
here's a link to Rockhopper Audio's page. I have heard the version he makes, and it really is the best portable amp for the price that I have heard. I would be totally happy with it. smooth, detailed, rich, on the warm side like I like it, and like you will too if you're pairing it with grados
wink.gif

rockhopperaudio.com and click on portable amps. they sell for 125 new

Jan 15, 2008 at 1:41 AM Post #12 of 27
I wouldn't recommend a simple CMoy, but those Kosses will definitely benefit a good deal from quality amping.

I don't understand why there's such an eschewing of amping cans that can greatly benefit. So what if they're $15-35? I'd love to spend just on cans for a bit and all, but musically, amped Kosses aren't lacking to my ears. Sure, having better detail without the hassle and lack of headstage of IEMs would be great--and if I felt it wasn't wasteful to throw $300 at some, I'd have K271S (which I've heard and like) or D2000 (which have survived FotM status, but would be a blind purchase)--but why get cans that good, and not already have a backend worthy of them?

Now, will you be blown away by the sound? Probably not. It will much more be a question of if you can go back, once you're used to your drivers being driven properly.

Jan 15, 2008 at 1:53 AM Post #13 of 27
Another vote for the Meier Headsix, from another happy Headsix owner.

Jan 15, 2008 at 4:54 AM Post #14 of 27
Mini^3
Head-Six
Portaphile V2^2
M Seed Spirit
MiniBox E
C&C XO & Box+
Z-Audio Mu

There are a bunch of amps that can be found in Head-Fi's For-Sale Forums at below around $150 USD if you wait and search a bit.

The KSC75 and all Grados are worth amping within the right budget amp per headphone and with the right expectations.

I amp my IGrado, SR80,and SR225 and hear a difference.

My KSC75 with Cat5 recable sounds incredible on my old Realistic STA-2100D Receiver. (Yeah go ahead and laugh naysayers!...lol ). Darn receiver sounds better than my portable headphone amps.
My other equipment doesnt have headphone jacks,so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back