Looking to get first headphones
Mar 22, 2012 at 8:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

rexdale

New Head-Fier
I have no idea what to get, so I'm hoping you guys/girls can help me out.
I would prefer to spend around $300-350 CAD, but I can go over that if it is really worth it.

Here's some info:
- Looking for over the ear headphones (since I hear that's usually the best)
- Looking for best all-around sound, I listen to all types of music.
- Will be used mostly for subway/bus, but also at home a lot too. I don't mind if I can hear outside stuff, but I prefer that my music doesn't leak out so other people can hear it.
- I wear glasses, don't know if that really matters
- I would like to be able to hear different instruments clearly (if possible)
- I don't know how to explain this. It doesn't need to have loud bass, I think I just like "hard-hitting bass". But not too hard lol, this would be my least important criteria

But really I just want good sound quality above all else. I would be happy to answer any questions if necessary.

Also, if anyone knows a place that ships to Canada, that would be very appreciated.

Mar 22, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #2 of 26
Here's some to consider.  I don't have experience with all of these.  Maybe the denons are the bassiest.  I believe most of those are pretty balanced and do well with most genres though.

denon d2000
beyer dynamic dt 880
AKG 272
shure srh 840
ultrasone hifi series
hifiman he-300
creative aurvana live
brainwavz hm5

Mar 22, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #4 of 26
The Ultrasone HFi-580/780's both are good for your tastes. 

Or you can try the pro versions such as the Pro750. 

Mar 23, 2012 at 12:11 AM Post #5 of 26
I've narrowed it down to these 4 through the reviews on this site:

shure srh 840
denon d2000
brainwavz hm5
ultrasone hifi series

I'm hoping you guys can help me narrow it down to one/two. Just a note, I prefer quality over price and I'm still open to other suggestions

Mar 23, 2012 at 12:58 AM Post #7 of 26
Given your short list, price range, and preference for quality you might consider the Ultrasone Pro 750.

The S-Logic feature has never impressed me that much, but I listen to my Pro 900s often and enjoy them thoroughly.

Comes w a hardcase, two cords, two sets of ear pads; and the sound signature is really pretty good.
Very comfortable, good sound isolation, and they fold flat to provide some portability.

http://www.ultrasone.com/index.php/en/products/pro-750.html

http://www.amazon.com/Ultrasone-PRO-750-Professional-Headphones/dp/B000Y556M8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1332478208&sr=8-2

Just a thought.
Good hunting.

Mar 23, 2012 at 1:31 PM Post #8 of 26
You said "Will be used mostly for subway/bus"? Full size cans are pretty large for that purpose.

Quote:
I've narrowed it down to these 4 through the reviews on this site:

shure srh 840
denon d2000
brainwavz hm5
ultrasone hifi series

I'm hoping you guys can help me narrow it down to one/two. Just a note, I prefer quality over price and I'm still open to other suggestions

Mar 23, 2012 at 2:03 PM Post #9 of 26

Quote:
I have no idea what to get, so I'm hoping you guys/girls can help me out.
I would prefer to spend around $300-350 CAD, but I can go over that if it is really worth it.

Here's some info:
- Looking for over the ear headphones (since I hear that's usually the best)
- Looking for best all-around sound, I listen to all types of music.
- Will be used mostly for subway/bus, but also at home a lot too. I don't mind if I can hear outside stuff, but I prefer that my music doesn't leak out so other people can hear it.
- I wear glasses, don't know if that really matters
- I would like to be able to hear different instruments clearly (if possible)
- I don't know how to explain this. It doesn't need to have loud bass, I think I just like "hard-hitting bass". But not too hard lol, this would be my least important criteria

But really I just want good sound quality above all else. I would be happy to answer any questions if necessary.

Also, if anyone knows a place that ships to Canada, that would be very appreciated.

Heya,

Beyer DT770 PRO 80ohm (most comfortable, better sound stage, warm, sparkly)
AKG K550 (linear, good isolation, sleek look, maybe a tad dry)
Brainwavz HM5 (awesome passive isolation, good linear response, a little bright)

Power with Fiio E11 (and gain it's nice EQ option too).

Very best,

Mar 23, 2012 at 9:09 PM Post #11 of 26
Re: specs.
How much it matters depends on what kind of arms your specs have. Last year I switched from frameless specs with those thin, metal arms, to a thick plastic frame. I'm now much more sensitive to headphones that clamp hard. 
My Beyerdynamic DT 880 is still comfy though, and it's built just like the DT 770 so it's a safe bet for comfort.

DT 770 is quite clear, and like Malveaux said, its sound is a bit "warm", but mainly, most anyone's impression of the 770 is it's comfortable and clear. Some people say the bass is too strong; I don't know, I've never tested them with very bass heavy music. 

Mar 23, 2012 at 10:25 PM Post #12 of 26
The only problem with HFI series is the pads and glasses. HFI are not friendly with glasses people due to it's pads and clamp force..but they do fit what you want..

I've tried the DT770 pro 80 ohms. I felt the bass didn't hit as hard but was wider and the highs were harsh at the tippy tippy top and just couldn't reach(get's lost). They are very very comfortable though and will fit glasses people better

The HFI's would sonically be better for you as it has some very very nice hard hitting bass. I can attest to this..holy cow. It isn't over thump nor is it under thump. just right. and S-Logic makes the soundstage a bit wider than my other cans.

The DT770 pro 80 ohms to me werent like that but had a similar non slogic sound signautre but missed out on some parts. I can not tell if the 770/80's are more accurate as studio monitors as I didn't have hours to test them with to deduce that. But in terms of audio enjoyability. The Beyer's are less agressive...which I don't like. I want my music to "show up" and the HFI's did that

Mar 23, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #13 of 26
If it helps at all I have the DT770/80's, I really enjoy them but i feel as though you would need an amp to get the best out of them because without one I have to put ipod at full volume just to get to a semi-high volume level. 

I'm pairing mine with the Fiio E17, I could have gone with the E7 but I figured why not get a step above. While listening to it you will notice it could be a tad bassy. With the E17 my settings look like(bass -4, Treble +4). Either way I believe its a great pick, just don't keep looking at this website because it makes you want more! 

I don't know if its just mine cause at first it clamped really hard but I tried another pair and it was perfect. Now mine is great and I'm enjoying really well at the moment. I can put more info but at the moment i have to go. 

Mar 23, 2012 at 10:53 PM Post #14 of 26

Quote:
If it helps at all I have the DT770/80's, I really enjoy them but i feel as though you would need an amp to get the best out of them because without one I have to put ipod at full volume just to get to a semi-high volume level. 

I'm pairing mine with the Fiio E17, I could have gone with the E7 but I figured why not get a step above. While listening to it you will notice it could be a tad bassy. With the E17 my settings look like(bass -4, Treble +4). Either way I believe its a great pick, just don't keep looking at this website because it makes you want more! 

I don't know if its just mine cause at first it clamped really hard but I tried another pair and it was perfect. Now mine is great and I'm enjoying really well at the moment. I can put more info but at the moment i have to go. 

Hello fellow E17 owner. I'm bowei from the E17 thread :) Your username looks familiar to me.

The DT770 were good as all in one's but had some problems sonically and I didn't like the more passive mood of them. but are overal great headphones..but need an amp

the EQ depends on what musical genres and songs you like to listen to. I've gone up and down the scale many times..many many times. i liked a +2dB bass EQ with DT770/80. 

they are comfortable and good all in ones' for many genre's and you don't need to touch them but they aren't as good as HFI 580's sonically. the HFI 580's need more tuning but that tuning brings out the real song more than the Beyer's did..albeit the HFI 580's look a bit more tacky(get the DJ1 then..btw the DJ1 pro is differnt) and it clamps ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back