Looking to Demo HE-400's
Jan 28, 2013 at 11:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Phalangees

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I live in Wisconsin and am having trouble finding somewhere I can demo out headphones. I'm looking to make an upgrade from my Grado SR80i's, but I'm not really willing to purchase anything over $200 without trying it out first.

So, my question is this: Is anyone aware of any stores in the Midwest area that allow people to demo headphones? I'd be pretty willing to drive anywhere from the Twin Cities, MN to Milwaukee. Chicago is a stretch but I could probably make a weekend trip to do it too.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. I appreciate it!

Jan 28, 2013 at 11:32 PM Post #2 of 16
There's actually a headphone demo being shipped around to participants, including the HE-400. Unfortunately, the list is closed (for now) as there's a long line for everything, but it never hurts to keep an eye on this thread. :) 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/645941/headamp-headphone-demos-audeze-hifiman-stax-sign-up-now

Jan 29, 2013 at 10:37 AM Post #3 of 16
Quote:
There's actually a headphone demo being shipped around to participants, including the HE-400. Unfortunately, the list is closed (for now) as there's a long line for everything, but it never hurts to keep an eye on this thread. :) 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/645941/headamp-headphone-demos-audeze-hifiman-stax-sign-up-now

Ah cool. Thanks for that. I will keep an eye on that for sure.

Jan 29, 2013 at 11:16 AM Post #4 of 16
If you like the Grado sound and the high end sparkle that they produce, the 400's are probably the wrong phone for you.  I haven't been overly pleased with the 400's after having Grado's and Etymotics.  I expected the ortho 400's to be able to give me that increadible hi-hat/cymbal sparkle and have been disappointed.  Mine will probably be up for sale or trade in a few weeks.

Jan 29, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #5 of 16
Quote:
If you like the Grado sound and the high end sparkle that they produce, the 400's are probably the wrong phone for you.  I haven't been overly pleased with the 400's after having Grado's and Etymotics.  I expected the ortho 400's to be able to give me that increadible hi-hat/cymbal sparkle and have been disappointed.  Mine will probably be up for sale or trade in a few weeks.

I actually found my Grado's to be a bit fatiguing, so I modded them to tone down that sparkle a bit, and poked a few holes to add a little more down low. I'm actually concerned that I would find the HE-400 fatiguing as well, which is why I want to try it out before purchasing.

Jan 29, 2013 at 3:21 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:
I highly doubt that you would find the 400's fatiguing.  To me, they are anything but fatiguing. 

Thanks for the info. That's reassuring. Maybe I'll just buy them and prepare to swallow the restocking fee if I don't like them... I don't see why I wouldn't like them, but it's just concerning to me to spend so much on something I haven't even seen before. :)

Jan 29, 2013 at 4:16 PM Post #10 of 16
I highly doubt that you would find the 400's fatiguing.  To me, they are anything but fatiguing. 

Maybe they aren't fatiguing in the overly bright sense but a heavy headphone topped with a darker sound signature and what I felt to be exaggerated bass was pretty fatiguing to me in the sense that I felt like I was being suffocated. Couldn't bring myself to use them for more than half an hour at a time and ended up sending them back, but if dark and bassy are your thing these might be for you. Although the treble they do have is sparkly and nice

Feb 1, 2013 at 11:45 PM Post #11 of 16
Just started trying out my HE-400's. I'm blown away by how incredible this sounds. Unbelievable.

A huge huge huge step up from the Grado SR80is, and Shure SRH440s. Music is giving me goosebumps again!

Feb 2, 2013 at 12:11 AM Post #12 of 16
As a fellow Wisconsinite also teetering on the edge of buying a pair of HE-400s and disappointed that I can't find any place to demo them, this thread is encouraging ;P

Feb 2, 2013 at 1:31 AM Post #13 of 16
I'm currently in Wisconsin too! :D int'l student going to UW. Almost 3 years and still trying to get used to the obsessive amount of cheese and snow everywhere.

I don't have the HE-400, there is also another guy that I know who has tons more headphones than I do but I don't think he has the 400 either. But he does have the HE-500 IIRC.

Feb 2, 2013 at 1:40 AM Post #14 of 16
Haha nice.  We could have shared some classes or something, but I wound up going to MSOE instead :<

I feel like Milwaukee is a big enough city that a hi-fi retailer could thrive here, considering the complete lack of competition for hundreds of miles around.  It's no wonder that Beats and Bose (Sold at Best Buys) do so well, since there are no actual high-end products to demo anywhere.

Feb 2, 2013 at 1:49 AM Post #15 of 16
I've never been to Milwaukee, but I hope to soon, I want to see Harley Davidson's HQ and the museum. Maybe during senior year :D

Milwaukee could be a good place to start a hi-fi store, but definitely not Madison. Most if not all the kids here have been brainwashed by Beats. Staying among them almost made me switch sides...   

Users who are viewing this thread

Back