Looking to buy new headset, recommendations?
Oct 24, 2017 at 8:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Luchios

New Head-Fier
Hey all, I would like to buy a new pair of headphones. Last ones are on their last leg (audio cutting in and out). I primary play games and also listen to music at the same time. I am completely new when it comes to good quality headphones. My price point is $300, with a possibility going a little over. I also don't have a standalone DAC or amp, so these would connect directly to PC. The music I listen to while I play is generally bass heavy music. Rap/ some edm/rock music. If anyone could shoot out some good recommendations that would be awesome! Thanks

Oct 24, 2017 at 8:43 PM Post #2 of 9
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z sound card (used, $60) might offer some improvement, over plugging the headphones directly into the motherboard's audio jack.
(depending on how good the on-board audio is)
Also the SB-Z card's built in head amp should be more powerful then the on-board audio (best guess)?
What is the make and model of your old headphones?
Check out the Soundmagic HP200 headphones.

Oct 25, 2017 at 12:40 AM Post #3 of 9
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z sound card (used, $60) might offer some improvement, over plugging the headphones directly into the motherboard's audio jack.
(depending on how good the on-board audio is)
Also the SB-Z card's built in head amp should be more powerful then the on-board audio (best guess)?
What is the make and model of your old headphones?
Check out the Soundmagic HP200 headphones.
I have the ASUS Crosshair VI AM4 motherboard. Newer mobo, not fmailiar with what on-board audio is on the board. My old headphones are Razer Kraken Pros, but i bought a standalone mic, so dont need a mic/headset. Yeah, i'll take a look. Still looking for recommendations!

Oct 25, 2017 at 12:55 AM Post #4 of 9
I have the ASUS Crosshair VI AM4 motherboard. Newer mobo, not fmailiar with what on-board audio is on the board. My old headphones are Razer Kraken Pros, but i bought a standalone mic, so dont need a mic/headset. Yeah, i'll take a look. Still looking for recommendations!
It appears your motherboard (Asus ROC Crosshair VI Extreme EATX X370) comes with the Realtek ALC 1220 audio processor and a ES9023P DAC chip.
So you have decent on-board audio.
If your big on clarity, check out the Beyerdynamic T90 headphones (used, $300).
The Soundmagic HP200 headphones are more big bass/treble sound, but mids still clear.

Oct 25, 2017 at 9:47 AM Post #5 of 9
Hey all, I would like to buy a new pair of headphones. Last ones are on their last leg (audio cutting in and out). I primary play games and also listen to music at the same time. I am completely new when it comes to good quality headphones. My price point is $300, with a possibility going a little over. I also don't have a standalone DAC or amp, so these would connect directly to PC. The music I listen to while I play is generally bass heavy music. Rap/ some edm/rock music. If anyone could shoot out some good recommendations that would be awesome! Thanks
Do you want isolation/is sound leakage a problem?

Oct 25, 2017 at 7:06 PM Post #7 of 9

The Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro are quite good for gaming. The 32 ohm version would work fine plugged directly to your PC without the need for an additional dac/amp.

Oct 26, 2017 at 10:03 PM Post #8 of 9
Yeah, I think sound isolation would be a good idea.
For good clarity with closed headphones, check out the Beyerdynamic T70.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back